Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If rejoining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    T'would be very nice to have the NHS though + BBC studios in Dublin + very cheap car insurance/cheaper cars + plenty of three lane motorways, massive boost for infrastructure & leisure facilities, combined GB-IRL Olympic team, the Royal Mail + Real Ale on tap in all Irish pubs too :-) and all that lovely money coming to the Dublin government from London courtesy of Dublin being plugged into the financial heart of London 'The City'.

Yeah I know its only hypothetical, but even the Irish language would get a boost from gaining access to regional language funding (ala the Welsh language) which is doing very nicely thank you.

The above is a tongue in cheek and light hearted answer, and of course its never goin to happen, but the NHS would be nice for starters . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

More motorways? Don't think Ireland would have as many km's of that standard road as it has now if it was in the UK. Ireland seems to have over built in that department in the last 10 years.

Also t'is just a blip. Countries go through good and bad phases in economics. The UK is in very bad shape as well and has plenty of cuts and "adjustments" coming down the line too. The grass is not greener etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

No I would not, and I don't think they'd take us back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

I wanted to vote but both options are retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Seanchai wrote: »
    Yes, which is why you should give up this Little England idea of yours over there and bow to your German and French overlords who control the European Union, the only world power in Europe. Your Empire is finished, despite the carping posts of a few neanderthals on Boards.ie who want to resurrect that jingoistic pipedream of what Fratton Fred likes to call the "British Isles".

Long live the EU, the protector of Irish freedom from a return to British imperialist subjugation.

I think the only freedom for the foreseeable future is freedom to pay back the banking debts.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Such a parcle of Rouges.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    ronan001 wrote: »
    3. A british polictician would not achieve this faster than our own politicians in fact there would be far greater resistance to a British politician.
    [/B]

Although there would be Irish politicians as part of the British government, this is a very very good point. Most of the government would be English or Scottish and it would not work for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

The Welsh have theirs, the Scots have theirs, the English have thiers, the Norn Irish have theirs, they'd sure as hell be mean do single out the Southern Irish as that is what we'd become - Southern Ireland - pretty much bring back what was laid out in the 1921 Gov of Ireland Act
    Don't make me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Frankly the UK doesn't want anything North or West of Birmingham now the North Sea Oil is running out - what makes you think they'd want us? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i went into two Dublin pubs yesterday in RIRA territory. i wanted to watch the all ireland and the barman was not aware that it was on. four screens in the pub and all of them tuned into liverpool and manchester but if you mentioned joining the UK to those people they would bait you.

BS. United Liverpool started 1.30. All Ireland 3.30. Something doesn't add up here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Robert Clive

There is a few problems first of all which would need to be over come for this to happen.

1) - The people in the Irish Republic would need to declare loyalty to her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and serve Queen and Country with devotion and loyalty.

2) - All rebels and traitors to the United Kingdom should be put before a judge and sentenced to death by hanging.

3) - The Irish language must be abolished.

4) - Citizens in the Irish Republic immediately must do 6 months of conscription to learn what it means to fight for Queen and Country and how to act and behave like a British citizen.

4) - Citizens in the Irish Republic immediately must do 6 months of conscription to learn what it means to fight for Queen and Country and how to act and behave like a British citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Sorry to bring this up but the UK are almost as bad off as we are.

Their economy is dying ....not quite as bad as ours but give Cameron a couple of more years.

No the British people would not want it and would hate us for it.

Our future is in the EU and the British would prefer to be out of it.

I think the best way to respect each nation is not to keep uo with this unworkable schemes.

We have the free travel area..you can go to the UK and get a job now.

Our economic interests diverge and thats that.

I don't feel culturally similar to British people....i like the but we are different.

Really there is little reason for either nation to want this at all.

I can't see either the British people or the Irish going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So you don't think it would fare well then, as I have suggested in #102.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Firstly, I know the UK has it's own real bugetary difficulties but this is a purely hypothetically, IF.....thread

So basically if the republic were to rejoin the UK (while retaining a national parliment) would result in good jobs with good availibility and an end to austerity and cuts, woudl you be up for it?

Or would you be one of the "rather die on my feet..........." rabbler brigade like was on Niall Boylan @night a few weeks ago.

Re-reg troll,

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

There is a few problems first of all which would need to be over come for this to happen.

1) - The people in the Irish Republic would need to declare loyalty to her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and serve Queen and Country with devotion and loyalty.

2) - All rebels and traitors to the United Kingdom should be put before a judge and sentenced to death by hanging.

I can't figure out if you are who I think you are or else a not-very-good imitation.

Another re-reg troll.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

AND....THEIR BACK :eek: YA SEE ALL THAT PC RUBBISH:eek::eek::D

LEINSTER SAYS NO!

No but seriously ...the British would not want this either both the Irish and British would be against it. The British would benefit nothing from it and neither would we ..certainly nothing that we don't have now anyway.

We are not British ..we are Irish:) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

Couldnt get past page two due to the stupidity of the phrasing of not only the poll and the initial question but also the stupidity of almost every post the OP has in the thread.

So OP everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view that we should rejoin the UK is a republican tiocfaidh ar la type. You clearly have an overinflated sense of importance in yourself and your opinions. People can have many reasons for disagreeing with you and i sense from your contributions on page one and two that it happens often. Alternatively if you are not as stupid as your posts make out, then i think you should perhaps get back under your bridge, troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Another re-reg troll.

Banned

His writing style and opinions seemed strangely familiar alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

well, they don't have to do any of that in the uk.......you would be special...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What odds as long as people can live in freedom and peace? - Nations are social constructs. They rise, and they fall, and they will do so again until the world ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BS. United Liverpool started 1.30. All Ireland 3.30. Something doesn't add up here.

He probably means the Arsenal, Man City game, which would have clashed with the AI I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

philologos wrote: »
    What odds as long as people can live in freedom and peace? - Nations are social constructs. They rise, and they fall, and they will do so again until the world ends.

I can assure you that any Nation or People that displays such eagerness to relinquish their Sovereignty will never profit. We've already taken one step on that road, lets not take another.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

And speaking of football may I recommend half of Ireland take the opportunity to get some sense and cut loose from the laughable LFC. Best way to get back at utd numpties etc Your, local team wants a decent excuse to build a stadium instead of maybe half a stand... down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I voted yes, if we still get to have our own language/culture/etc.
    And so long as I am not expected to sit around watching the fecking Queen give speeches.
    lol.

it's 're'-joining the UK, not a taking the money and running option.

now, if there was a 'take the money and run' option....

charlemont wrote: »
    His writing style and opinions seemed strangely familiar alright.

Trolls just don't put the effort in anymore, lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Question to OP - will there be full employment forever in this new world ?

Or just boom and bust ?

Cause if not ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

quite an alarming poll for boardsies!!

Never ever ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Absolutely! Why not?! We already have their same bloody language and more or less similar culture apart from those gombeens in the west who made up their own Frankenstein-esque zombie culture in the 19th century. We also have the same TV, watch the same football and follow more or less the same football teams.

It was a mistake to opt-out in the first place. It was those stupid bloody terrorist gombeens back in 1916 who had more teeth than brain-cells that basically ruined it all for us. All they wanted was bloody independence but they totally forgot about the financial implications; they just took for granted that prosperity would magically follow post-independence - what clowns!

In fairness, the UK and the British Empire were pretty bad ass and Ireland did play a role in building it in the first place. After all, it was the Empire of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

BTW, I'm not from Northern Ireland. Hate the site of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Yes definitely, 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Absolutely! Why not?! We already have their same bloody language and more or less similar culture apart from those gombeens in the west who made up their own Frankenstein-esque zombie culture in the 19th century. We also have the same TV, watch the same football and follow more or less the same football teams.

It was a mistake to opt-out in the first place. It was those stupid bloody terrorist gombeens back in 1916 who had more teeth than brain-cells that basically ruined it all for us. All they wanted was bloody independence but they totally forgot about the financial implications; they just took for granted that prosperity would magically follow post-independence - what clowns!

In fairness, the UK and the British Empire were pretty bad ass and Ireland did play a role in building it in the first place. After all, it was the Empire of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

BTW, I'm not from Northern Ireland. Hate the site of the place.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

One big issue with England is the huge population density in urban areas. So if Ireland were part of England for real, it might mean urban sprawl. - then again, it might mean only the well off get to live here - so we'd get posh totty - 'course, then we'd have to ship of a lot off locals. hmmm. toughy.

and suppose we struck oil and had to hand it over to London like the Scots?

then again Scotland is part of the UK in name only, same with Wales.

how much money do we get? how much totty? can we keep everything else?

so many questions....

(I'm bored)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

KeithAFC, i missed you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

There is a wretched smell of conformity off those little mad faces.

:):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

no i don't think so

we're completely different and barely get on with them

i grew up a plastic paddy but there's no way it'd work

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Where's the "I'ld rather eat my own ballsack" option.

800 years......ballcock....

the first three hundred was the french and a few saxons.....

what goes round, comes round....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Boombastic wrote: »
    Are they giving out soup?

No. Just shillings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

I'm genuinely surprised. I thought the poll would be more like 90/10 to the tiochaigh ar la types.

what would you rather 90/10 to the west brit types i.e YOU
    people like that shoud fup off to england if thats how they feel, ashamed to be irish and wishing they were born in england for some strange reason. they did a poll a few years ago on how proud you are of your nationality Irish people came in at 98% so its unlikely we would want to be part of the UK. Belgium came in at 4% always remember that lol

• Advertisement

what would you rather 90/10 to the west brit types i.e YOU
    people like that shoud fup off to england if thats how they feel, ashamed to be irish and wishing they were born in england for some strange reason. they did a poll a few years ago on how proud you are of your nationality Irish people came in at 98% so its unlikely we would want to be part of the UK. Belgium came in at 4% always remember that lol

never heard of even one person from belgium wanting to be british.....??

never heard of even one person from belgium wanting to be british.....??

think you missunderstood what i said, the poll gave the result that only 4% of belgians were proud to be from belgium, not that they wanted to be british.

Where did the other 96% of Belgians feel proud of being from, besides of not from Belgium?

All the Belgians I know are very proud of being from Belgium, I think your stats lie.

Where did the other 96% of Belgians feel proud of being from, besides of not from Belgium?

All the Belgians I know are very proud of being from Belgium, I think your stats lie.

what? 96% of belgians obviously werent proud to be from anywhere else because they werent from anywhere else, they just werent verry happy to be from belgium according to the poll, not saying the poll is right, im just telling you what they gave as the results of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

syklops wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Things are temporarily not fantastic, but its only a blip. Look back over the last 90 years of independence. There were good times and bad times. We've had the Emergency when tea was rationed(tea!?!), the Troubles, when people were getting blown up. Right now we just have the Unpleasentness where people are living in houses they can't quite afford. They have tea and their not being blown up. Things aint so bad yet.

I want my grandchildren to ask 'what was it like during the unpleasantness Granddad?' And I'll say 'it wasn't the worst'.

what? 96% of belgians obviously werent proud to be from anywhere else because they werent from anywhere else, they just werent verry happy to be from belgium according to the poll, not saying the poll is right, im just telling you what they gave as the results of it.

How many Belgians were surveyed? Actually, just stick up a link to this survey.

Emh, Is it not true that Belgum is a deeply devided Country?

How many Belgians were surveyed? Actually, just stick up a link to this survey.

5 belgians were surveyed, 1 was a woman though lol joke, im not sure how many, it was years ago that it took place.funny how this thread has turned into us talking about belgians ha

An Coilean wrote: »
    Emh, Is it not true that Belgum is a deeply devided Country?

Not deeply divided but definitely diverse. Unlike the Irish, they have diverse backgrounds. You can ask someone form Cork, where they are from, they will respond, I'm Irish.Full stop.

You ask a Belgian person, they will respond, I'm Belgian, but, and they list their heritage.

Would love to see the 4% stat survey.

• Advertisement

5 belgians were surveyed, 1 was a woman though lol joke, im not sure how many, it was years ago that it took place.funny how this thread has turned into us talking about belgians ha

So 99.9% of your stats are made up?

Advertisement