Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If rejoining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    nedzer2011 wrote: »
    Many of our ancestors gave their lives in the hope of achieving freedom from the British. They may or may not be horrified at the current state of our now independent state but by f**k over my dead body would we disgrace their memory and hand ourselves back to them. Does anyone have pride nowadays?

Many of our Some of your ancestors maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Japer wrote: »
    none linked to politicians over the water.

Tony Blair isn't a politician? The expenses scandal? cash for questions? Cash for honours? Homes for votes? the Iraq war? Have you been following politics over there at all?

LordSutch wrote: »

Like being otherwise is something to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Go on home British soldiers, go on home
    Have you got no ****ing homes of your own
    For 800 years we've fought you without fear
    And we'll fight you for 800 more

If you stay British soldiers, if you stay
    You'll never ever beat the IRA
    For the 14 men in Derry
    Are the last that you will bury
    So take a tip, and leave us bloody be

So go on home British Soldiers, go on home
    And we will fight you for 800 more

We're not British, we're not Saxon, we're not English
    We're Irish and proud we are to be
    So **** your Union Jack, we want our country back
    We want to see old Ireland free once more

So go on home British soldiers, go on home

We'll fight them British soldiers for the cause
    We'll never bow to soldiers because
    Troughout our history, we were born to be free
    So get out British bastards leave us be

So go on home British soldiers, go on home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

I'm beginning to think that someone got their hands on a book entitled Trolling Irish people for dummies. Possible author, Kevin Myers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

the only thing keeping uk aloat is scotish northsea oil thats running out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19871411

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    And we'll fight you for 800 more . . . bla bla bla

That dusty old record must be well and truly worn out (after 800 years), time for a new chapter in the 21st century me thinks.

That dusty old record must be well and truly worn out (after 800 years), time for a new chapter in the 21st century me thinks.

Yes, but I doubt its a collection of Elgar.

the only thing keeping uk aloat is scotish northsea oil thats running out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19871411
    Wrong, it's the City of London and all the taxes the Banks there pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    Like being otherwise is something to be proud of.

So he should be ashamed of his ancestry?

Yes, but I doubt its a collection of Elgar.

No doubt a reference to a post of mine in the music forum, interesting but not really applicable here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80979137&postcount=31

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Many catholic schools actually dont look for the baptismal cert even after you tell them the child was christened. And most catholic schools have many non-christians too. And getting them baptised does not mean they have to do communion/confession/confirmation.
    I think some parents look for excuses to make them look less like hypocrites

Well, this school does want the proof. And I'm not really bothered about your "some parents" theory - I'm only going by what my family have had to do.:rolleyes:

So he should be ashamed of his ancestry?

Collaborators tend not to be celebrated.
    lordsutch wrote:
    No doubt a reference to a post of mine in the music forum

Nope, but a rather uncanny coincidence.

That would mean the ancestors pf pretty much every poster on boards then.

Except of course the "Pure Irish" ones I guess.:rolleyes:

I never took you for a bigot.

That would mean the ancestors pf pretty much every poster on boards then.

Except of course the "Pure Irish" ones I guess.:rolleyes:

I never took you for a bigot.

So everybodys ancestor on boards was an active collaborator with the British? Fascinating Fred. Where did you get that info from?

• Advertisement

So everybodys ancestor on boards was an active collaborator with the British? Fascinating Fred. Where did you get that info from?

Common sense to be honest.

Pretty much everyone on here would have an ancestor who was in the RIC, or the British Army, or even a Black and Tan.

Common sense to be honest.

Pretty much everyone on here would have an ancestor who was in the RIC, or the British Army, or even a Black and Tan.

Bit of a presumption, particularily given that the Tans were brought over. And even if it were true, as I said, its nothing to be proud of.

Nope, but a rather uncanny coincidence.

God you're slick.

Bit of a presumption, particularily given that the Tans were brought over. And even if it were true, as I said, its nothing to be proud of.

In your (somewhat biased) opinion.

In your (somewhat biased) opinion.

Do you get Germans celebrating their WWII exploits? In general, no.

Do Americans re-enact the massacre of the ghost dancers and celebrate the men who carried out the massacre at sand creek? No.

• Advertisement

Do you get Germans celebrating their WWII exploits? In general, no.

Do Americans re-enact the massacre of the ghost dancers and celebrate the men who carried out the massacre at sand creek? No.

Who is celebrating what and where? what are you on about?

God you're slick.

Tis true though. I despise Elgar, and if you were to pick a record to encapsulate some nauseating Empire love-in, who else would anyone play?

I think it's the usual stuff about comparing the Irish under British rule to the Jews under Nazi rule

Any maybe a bit of North American genocide thrown in for good measure.

....if you had ancestors that were involved in some dubious activity, you'd hardly go around with pride in their acheivements now, would you?

I think it's the usual stuff about comparing the Irish under British rule to the Jews under Nazi rule

Any maybe a bit of North American genocide thrown in for good measure.

If you want to make a point about something I said, be a good lad and take it up with me.

I was referring to the fact that in some countries, theres a general admission that certain things that happened in the past were wrong.

....if you had ancestors that were involved in some dubious activity, you'd hardly go around with pride in their acheivements now, would you?

My immediate ancestors fought against Hitler, but what has any of this (or Elgar) got to do with rejoining the UK?

Try and keep on topic Nodin.

My immediate ancestors fought against Hitler, but what has any of this (or Elgar) got to do with rejoining the UK?

This
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81154525&postcount=352

and this, respectively
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81155585&postcount=359

Yes, and your point is :confused:

If you want to make a point about something I said, be a good lad and take it up with me.

I was referring to the fact that in some countries, theres a general admission that certain things that happened in the past were wrong.

So what has that got to do with Lord Sutch?

Yes, and your point is :confused:

I was commenting on your comments.....thats what happens in threads....you say something....I say something....

• Advertisement

Nodin what the hell are you up to?

Give us a reasoned comment about rejoining the Uk and stop messing about.

Give us a reasoned comment about rejoining the Uk and stop messinag about.

Why would we rejoin an entity that can't even decide if its in Europe or out of it, has a past it has yet to tackle, has a bizarre voting system, worse class problems than here.....We've enough of our own baggage to carry, without getting in with them.

Why would we rejoin an entity that can't even decide if its in Europe or out of it, has a past it has yet to tackle, has a bizarre voting system, worse class problems than here.....We've enough of our own baggage to carry, without getting in with them.

LoL, true enough about the baggage.

Maybe joining the UK would help Ireland drag its arse into the 21st century once and for all and leave behind those who are still living in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If all 32 counties had equal status it would but us in a better position to break away united but I don't think its worth risking what we worked so hard for over the last 100+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Maybe joining the UK would help Ireland drag its arse into the 21st century once and for all and leave behind those who are still living in the past.

There's actually a well known experiment that's been taking place on this Island for the last few years. In fact, it's actually just celebrated it's one hundredth Anniversary.

British Rule and Irish Rule working in tandem on the same Island.

Now if the Republic, as you argue, is only now clawing it's way out of the 20th Century, I really wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to what Century the North has just reared it's head out of.

And to think that we in the North were afforded the infinite wisdom of both Stormont and Westminster to ensure our prophetic rise to supremacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hang on, didn't we become Irland recently when Taoiseach Aingeal ni Mherchaill took over?

Bit late for any rejoining the UK!

Amazing you can always have a dig at here, but avoid admission of wrong doing over there.

...and considering the state of delusion of far too many in the British establishment, its more likely to be a hindrance than a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

old hippy wrote: »
    Well, this school does want the proof. And I'm not really bothered about your "some parents" theory - I'm only going by what my family have had to do.:rolleyes:

Trust me, they will not push you for proof. Just keep forgetting it and I guarantee they will drop the issue once your child has started in that school. They have more to do than ticking off the baptismal cert proof validation checkbox. They care more about keeping up their numbers once the child starts.

You will need to go to confession for the white lies above and you will spend 6-7 weeks extra in pergatory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Trust me, they will not push you for proof. Just keep forgetting it and I guarantee they will drop the issue once your child has started in that school. They have more to do than ticking off the baptismal cert proof validation checkbox. They care more about keeping up their numbers once the child starts.

You will need to go to confession for the white lies above and you will spend 6-7 weeks extra in pergatory.

Well, lucky enough, I don't believe in all that hocus pocus about confession - so you just have to rely on my anecdotal say so. Or not, up to you.

The school in question is already causing trouble but I cannot go into details yet. Sure you will see it in the news if it escalates...

Fecking religion. Best off out of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Japer wrote: »
    Yep, no corruption at all over the water....
    none linked to politicians over the water.

contrast that to the situation in this little banana republic eg look at charlie haughey ( thanks a million, big Fella, he said to Ben Dunne ) on to Bertie Ahern ( the minister for finance who did not have a personal bank account but won his money - he said - on the horses and the dig out from his mates in Manchester ). Look at the corruption in the planning process and the galway tent and ...well, you know we're the laughing stock of Europe?
    You don't read the papers much do you.

Don't get me wrong, in Britain, when you get into trouble, you are out.

But seriously your okay with Cameron's alleged dealings with Rupertt Murdoch and he his pals? One minister had to leave his post due to dodgy claims of friends getting special contracts. Here, it is normal. Over there, your out.

Labour even had the passport for sale craic a few years ago, again high profile heads rolled.

Parliament also ha it's Few john odonghoue in expesnse scandals.

Hey, at least we don't have war criminals. (like that makes a.difference.....)

Give us a reasoned comment about rejoining the Uk and stop messing about.
    Excuse me,rhetoric on these threads have been done to death.always with th same failed outcome. You and many of your chums regularly fail to give any reasoned comment about joining up.

that is funny, had Ireland left th UK earlier we Han have caught up along time ago. What is the excuse for northern Ireland under Britains watch? Can you say that is in the 21 st century.

Pray tell thee how the south is not in the 21 st century.

I use to think you were not the typical British, delusional tosser. I taught you were smarter than that. On the basics of that post, though....

that is funny, had Ireland left th UK earlier we Han have caught up along time ago. What is the excuse for northern Ireland under Britains watch? Can you say that is in the 21 st century. Pray tell thee how the south is not in the 21 st century.
    I use to think you were not the typical British, delusional tosser. I taught you were smarter than that. On the basics of that post, though....

Only responding like for like Walrus.

21st century to me would mean an end to parish pump politics, cronyism, accountability for public servants, good availability of high speed broadband to rural areas, good public transport (with a metro in the capital city and a rail link to the country's major airport) high speed rail links and an air force.

Then, of course, there are those who still think the Easter rising is still gong on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Why settle for the UK when we could get a much better deal if we sold Ireland to Canada or Norway. Or how about the we all became Dutch. It would mean more porn, coffee shops, a huge network of cycle lanes and a special toilet in all our homes that will let us examine our poo to make sure all is ok.

Why settle for the UK when we could get a much better deal if we sold Ireland to Canada or Norway. Or how about the we all became Dutch. It would mean more porn, coffee shops, a huge network of cycle lanes and a special toilet in all our homes that will let us examine our poo to make sure all is ok.

I'd go for Norway personally. They have lots of money and all huddle naked in saunas to keep warm.

Or maybe Jamaica, it's warm and they have cool music:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I'd go for Norway personally. They have lots of money and all huddle naked in saunas to keep warm.

Or maybe Jamaica, it's warm and they have cool music:cool:
    It would be a great way of importing rum and weed from Jamaica and the national debt could be cleared off in a few years on weed tax alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

Perhaps our thinking should be looking at where we are at now and where we would like to be in the future? What type of Ireland would we like? and how can we create that?

I would like Ireland to be as wealthy and successful as other small EU nations, like Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands.

Looking at the Uk is a bit short sighted, they aren't exactly a role model for us as I'm sure people there would agree.

I think we could look at Finland for education (google it, ranking in world), Sweden for health and denmark/netherlands for infrastructure. Norway for how to manage our natural resources, as they do there, all money from them goes back to the people because the natural resources our the people's. Learn from those who are successful not those who have failed...uk...ahmmm...??!

Only responding like for like Walrus.

21st century to me would mean an end to parish pump politics, cronyism, accountability for public servants, good availability of high speed broadband to rural areas, good public transport (with a metro in the capital city and a rail link to the country's major airport) high speed rail links and an air force.

Then, of course, there are those who still think the Easter rising is still gong on.
    Eh, funny enough Ireland had pretty good transport infrastructure in 1916, at least the "Luas" ran without a break between the parts of the city.

Dart and Dublin Bus are decent enough and will due for now. There is no real need for the Metro, it is a vanity project, most places within the city centre are in walking distance. (Proper provisions of sub urban areas ok, but Dart and Dublin Bus are not the worse) The trip to the airport is not that long and Dublin Bus have decent transport.

An Air Force? Why? We are not at war. Granted, I accept the search and rescue issue , and that is important, but I would also want to see a proper infrastructure in the navy to deal with importation of drugs. Again, neither of those issues hold back a country into the 21 st Century.

As for the accountability etc, Westminster are no strangers to that. Granted, it is better in dealing with it (only in recent decade) when it becomes public, but why should we take any lecture from any Brit, when they had a government who went to war on false reports.?

Seriously, those issues are rather petty, and now of it suggests reasons to rejoin,

You waffle about 1916, who is doing that by the way? Seems some people can't get over the fact that some countries got out of Britain's clutches (these threads are regular , whether here or other sites - the only people who bring up history are the West Brits. Look at what the pole itself says. It should have been YES or No)

Eh, funny enough Ireland had pretty good transport infrastructure in 1916, at least the "Luas" ran without a break between the parts of the city.

Dart and Dublin Bus are decent enough and will due for now. There is no real need for the Metro, it is a vanity project, most places within the city centre are in walking distance. (Proper provisions of sub urban areas ok, but Dart and Dublin Bus are not the worse) The trip to the airport is not that long and Dublin Bus have decent transport.

An Air Force? Why? We are not at war. Granted, I accept the search and rescue issue , and that is important, but I would also want to see a proper infrastructure in the navy to deal with importation of drugs. Again, neither of those issues hold back a country into the 21 st Century.

As for the accountability etc, Westminster are no strangers to that. Granted, it is better in dealing with it (only in recent decade) when it becomes public, but why should we take any lecture from any Brit, when they had a government who went to war on false reports.?

Seriously, those issues are rather petty

No more or less petty than the post I was originally refering to.:pac:

As Nodin said, you say something, I say something. That's how it works:)

Show Time wrote: »
    It would be a great way of importing rum and weed from Jamaica and the national debt could be cleared off in a few years on weed tax alone.

Taken by by health implications like lung cancer? I am all for it, but somehow , plenty of spanners would run the fun by somehow getting addicted to it or die of some type of overdoes

• Advertisement
Advertisement