Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If rejoining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you?

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    I'd go for Norway personally. They have lots of money and all huddle naked in saunas to keep warm.

Or maybe Jamaica, it's warm and they have cool music:cool:

huddle naked in saunas to keep warm.???

Thats Finland,mate:eek:And the money is in a fund,you will never see it??

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

I love how the OP has phrased this question - if you could have a job would you rejoin the UK (when did we first join?) - as if jobs were the only important thing in the world.

Forget the fact that the last time we (Irish citizens) were forced to be part of the UK we were denied basic civil and human rights. Forget those who fought for us to have rights and independence and their sacrifice.

Let's join so we can have jobs. Forget our history and the fact that there are few jobs going over there in the first place.

In case that wasn't clear enough, I voted no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Patriotism is for idiots and people who lack belonging. I don't give a toss about what flag flies outside Leinster house as the only thing I am loyal to is myself. If my life is better off with a different coloured flag outside Leinster house then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    _petulia_ wrote: »
    I love how the OP has phrased this question - if you could have a job would you rejoin the UK (when did we first join?) - as if jobs were the only important thing in the world.

Forget the fact that the last time we (Irish citizens) were forced to be part of the UK we were denied basic civil and human rights. Forget those who fought for us to have rights and independence and their sacrifice.

Let's join so we can have jobs. Forget our history and the fact that there are few jobs going over there in the first place.

Don't worry at the rate the Blueshirts are going basic human rights could soon be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

_petulia_ wrote: »

That's uber-daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Patriotism is for idiots and people who lack belonging. I don't give a toss about what flag flies outside Leinster house as the only thing I am loyal to is myself. If my life is better off with a different coloured flag outside Leinster house then so be it.

When has ceding sovereignty ever been a good decision? What benefits would this Island gain by stripping itself of the last vestiges of it's economic free-will. I understand that you generally dislike Republicans, and as such you will automatically work against whatever they happen to value, but you really are dodging the actual question.

Hell, we're already over four-hundred posts into this thread, and yet I still haven't seen a single post that provides a well thought out proposal for reunification, beyond simply stating that our two Nations are "Culturally similar" and therefore have little reason to stay divided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81119316&postcount=290
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81106827&postcount=242
    Show Time wrote: »
    Don't worry at the rate the Blueshirts are going basic human rights could soon be a thing of the past.

#ConspiracyTheories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

When has ceding sovereignty ever been a good decision? What benefits would this Island gain by stripping itself of the last vestiges of it's economic free-will. I understand that you generally dislike Republicans, and as such you will automatically work against whatever they happen to value, but you really are dodging the actual question.

Hell, we're already over four-hundred posts into this thread, and yet I still haven't seen a single post that provides a well thought out proposal for reunification, beyond simply stating that our two Nations are "Culturally similar" and therefore have little reason to stay divided.

Probably because there isn't one.
    Threads like this usually expand, or descend, into other areas - the original proposition wouldn't be a realistic consideration.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seanchai wrote: »
    British rip-offs of US tv shows
    Apart from scriptless reality shows and game shows is there such a thing ? (Endemol are Dutch)

LOTS of UK scripts re-used in the US.

Also we inherited an adversarial system which mainly benefits lawyers and ambulance chasers :mad:

What we should do is join with Scotland and NI to form a new Dál Riata, a Greater Celtic Sphere of Co-Prosperity. Funded by Oil and Gas and wind and wave power which we sell to England and "little England" We'll build a tunnel to the Mull of Kintyre. We will own Rockall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Eh, this lack of belonging, would that be a desire to want to join but together as a group and have principles for the common good, rather than selfish me feinism and lone ranger carry on? Best of luck with your "everyman / family is an island" attitude. Lack belonging? Sounds like that is a person like you, but you are happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....ahh Richard, thats such a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I don't hold with the whole flag waving thing in general and uber patriots scare me as much as loyalist and Empire types but I think most people would prefer to the Irish flag outside Leinster House, all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

old hippy wrote: »
    I think most people would prefer to the Irish flag outside Leinster House, all the same.

most Irish people want a decent standard of living, to be part of the economy of a powerful G7 ccountry instead of a banana republic run by corrupt gombeens....and hence there are more Irish people handling the queens shilling and working in the UK sterling area than there are in the Republic.

We should do as Gay Byrne suggested, hand the country back to the Queen with a note of apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Japer wrote: »
    We should do as Gay Byrne suggested, hand the country back to the Queen with a note of apology.
    Ah if it isn't Japer/gigno/jimmmy/DublinWriter! :rolleyes:

Have I forgotten any of your multiple accounts?

I'm sure you voted Yes in the poll using each one though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I like English people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

most Irish people want a decent standard of living, to be part of the economy of a powerful G7 ccountry instead of a banana republic run by corrupt gombeens....and hence there are more Irish people handling the queens shilling and working in the UK sterling area than there are in the Republic.

Where to even begin with this nonsense...

Whilst States within the Union are doing their best to hasten the process of devolution, we have posters like this who would happily throw away the last vestiges of our economic and financial sovereignty for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Perhaps our thinking should be looking at where we are at now and where we would like to be in the future? What type of Ireland would we like? and how can we create that?

I would like Ireland to be as wealthy and successful as other small EU nations, like Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands.

Looking at the Uk is a bit short sighted, they aren't exactly a role model for us as I'm sure people there would agree.

I think we could look at Finland for education (google it, ranking in world), Sweden for health and denmark/netherlands for infrastructure. Norway for how to manage our natural resources, as they do there, all money from them goes back to the people because the natural resources our the people's. Learn from those who are successful not those who have failed...uk...ahmmm...??!

You said it.

Never understood why we look so much to copy the U.K. in these areas instead of trying to emulate the success of these smaller countries in their respective fields of excellence.
    We had the opportunity to take the best from these countries when we had the money and have a world class public health and education system, childcare, public transport, roads, cycling facilities and so on and we squandered it.
    Why don't we demand these things from elected politicians when they want our votes and dump those out on their asses who don't deliver??

You'd think Irish people never travel to or work in these countries and see for themselves how well these things work!

Low expectations of our politicians, residual inferiority complex coupled with a "shure twill do" attitude is my guess as to some of the reasons why we don't demand change. There's much I love about this country but that crap drives me mad and is so frustrating about the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I like English people.

"Some of my best friends are English".

Actually my best friend-male (and current bed mate when the mood strikes ;)) is English and a real gent. I have nothing against the English, I just think there are better examples to follow for how to run a small country like ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

most Irish people want a decent standard of living, to be part of the economy of a powerful G7 ccountry instead of a banana republic run by corrupt gombeens.....

So why would they join a class ridden tinpot monarchy run by the landed gentry?

Given Gay Byrnes track record (the 'wonderful christian brothers', his finances, his treatment of Annie Murphy) I wouldn't take his advice that readily, were I you.

I'd rather not have an old queen telling me what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Gay Byrne didn't say it...a member of a Late Late Show audience, said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »

So why would they join a class ridden tinpot monarchy run by the landed gentry?

Given Gay Byrnes track record (the 'wonderful christian brothers', his finances, his treatment of Annie Murphy) I wouldn't take his advice that readily, were I you.

I've experienced far more snobbery and nepotism in Ireland than I ever did in the UK tbh.

It's not class based, but the net effects are the same.

I've experienced far more snobbery and nepotism in Ireland than I ever did I'm the UK tbh.

It's not class based, nut the net effects are the same.

I have to concur. Most of the snobbery I've encountered over here (so far) has come from fellow Irish people.

Advertisement