Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here starting a business in Australia

Options
  • 24-09-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

As the title says .
    Im moving to Australia permanently next month , Pretty much always been self employed in a number of enterprises most of whom have been successful in a small way .ie providing a income for me ..

I'ld be interested to hear from Anyone who has moved from Ireland to Australia and started a new or continued on a existing business they had in Ireland.
    What difficulties they faced and the main differences in doing business in the southern hemisphere. Lack of contacts must be a hindrance for a start as well as trying to access funding..

Thanks
    Mr Tigerballs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

What are you thinking of getting into as somethings are operated different over here.
    Take construction for instance over here as you must have a builders licence to do any job over 25k(or something like that) , which afaik is a two year course in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Builders licenses not that straightforward,

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Pages/BuildingServicesAuthority.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Van Fan

I was used to stay in Australia for a period of time,for doing busines with local enterprises.As you might think,need some time of suiting their business habit.Anyway,it's not a big problem for me.

Van Fan

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tigerballs

Aware of the Regulations regarding Builders licences etc for the construction Industry. Have to say they are very straightforward and sensible. geared to protecting the client from "cowboy builders "

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-australia-self-employment[/URL]
    Found a lot of good information here

I would not be a "trades contractor" as such .
    Considering a trading/ Retail/ Rental line of Business Servicing such industries as corporate / private/ promoted events and the such like.I have just sold out of business in this area in Ireland , have even done some work in Australia on a contract in the past (3 weeks) so not exactly running in blind but feel I will need at year or so getting a feel for how things are done before starting up.

So any experiences from small business startups or Trade contractors would be most welcome.

Advertisement