Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Wars 17: Crystal Ship Vs When a Blind Man Cries

• 24-09-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭

In the last thread Smells like Teen Spirit beat Self Esteem, not really a surprise though if I might say so. For song wars 17, i've gone with Crystal Ship by The Doors and When a Blind Man Cries by Deep Purple. Don't know if there are many fans of theirs on here but I think it's worth a shot.

Things to note, both songs are slow and soft and have their roots in psychedelic rock. Crystal Ship was released on the Door's debut album The "Doors" but was also released on the B side of Light My Fire, while When a Blind Man Cries was released in 1972 on the B side of the single "Never Before". One final note which is just a bit of trivia. Richie Blackmore hated the song When a Blind Man Cries and it was only played once when he was around, but the band would later use it after his departure in all their live performances.

My choice goes to When a Blind Man Cries. I just love the soft melodic tone of the song, the guitar solo was pretty nice too and of course the vocals are just right.

Which song do you prefer? 3 votes

Crystal Ship
    0% 0 votes
    When a Blind Man Cries
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

When A Blind Man Cries for me, it's such a beautiful song. It's hard for me to listen to it and not be moved still.

It's so gentle, not a word that's used to describe rock very often but it's apt here. It progresses perfectly, the pacing is dead on and Gillan's vocals are superb.

I hear Metallica are going to cover this, I must admit I'm interested but I don't hold out much hope it'll be on a par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Deep Purple > The Doors. No contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Crystal Ship for me,adore Morrison's vocals in this track.
    God I would have killed to see The Doors live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Schism wrote: »
    I hear Metallica are going to cover this, I must admit I'm interested but I don't hold out much hope it'll be on a par.

Already released, not listened to it yet, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Schism wrote: »
    When A Blind Man Cries for me, it's such a beautiful song. It's hard for me to listen to it and not be moved still.

It's so gentle, not a word that's used to describe rock very often but it's apt here. It progresses perfectly, the pacing is dead on and Gillan's vocals are superb.

blastman wrote: »
    Already released, not listened to it yet, though.

Here's the actual song since it's been mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement