Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This Con fella is pushing them!

Some nice food in Dublin these days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Lots of nice advertisements for Dublin restaurants tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The positivity and nice feedback from the Head-Chefs was lovely. Genuine, honest, to-the-point feedback at end of service! They didn't shy from their responsibility as the Superiors in the kitchen, and that shone through for me. Great work by the 5 Head-Chefs tonight.

As for dining out in Dublin - could not have received better advertising as it received tonight so far in Masterchef :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

kerry4sam wrote: »
    As for dining out in Dublin - could not have received better advertising as it received tonight so far in Masterchef :)

And it IS that good... prices are cheapest in the country too, particularly if you stick to the early birds.

(I thought 777 was a bit pricey though)

• Advertisement

Ah Dylan is back on!

Okay Tamarin no tears. It just meant the other person was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tears already. FFS!

Terry reminds me of The Viper from Hardy Bucks. "How yee doin' ladz?"

I'd be doing some serious copying at this stage.

Oh dear poor sinead :(

• Advertisement

I'd say they all feel like kicking Terry in the balls.

:cool: I think Terry could be going...

There's always one girl that Dylan has a soft spot for ;)

This year it's Sinead :)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'd say they all feel like kicking Terry in the balls.

Ah fair play to him! Defo deserved to get through

Ah fair play to him! Defo deserved to get through

Agreed. (I was just messing)

amdublin wrote: »
    There's always one girl that Dylan has a soft spot for ;)

This year it's Sinead :)

Agreed.

The aprons have their names embroidered on them. Do you think they do actually give them when the camera is switched off? :pac:

I hope they do!

amdublin wrote: »
    The aprons have their names embroidered on them. Do you think they do actually give them when the camera is switched off? :pac:

I hope they do!

That'd be a nice momento wouldn't it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Right decision.

Spenny, can you answer me one thing?

Sinead never ever made a souffle, hadn't a clue, did she just guess and wing it and came up with one decent enough to pass the test first go? OR... was it completely sheet, but the others were sheeter?

Hats off to her if she did.

Here's the recipe from the RTE website.

1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c.
    2. Brush the inside of a ramekin with the melted butter ensuring the brush strokes are from bottom to top. Dust with caster sugar. Chill to set.
    3. Put the raspberries in a pot with 13g of sugar and the vanilla pod, seeds and pod. Heat slowly stirring until the suagr has dissolved. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Sieve the puree, keep the coulis and discard the seeds, reduce the coulis for 5 mins, then set aside to cool.
    4. Scald the milk and cream in a small saucepan. Beat the egg yolk and sugar together until pale and thick. Sieve in the flour and cornflour, mix through. Add a small amount of hot liquid and mix through then add to liquid in the pan. Place back on the heat, whisk constantly until the mixture is thick and smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Leave to cool to room temperature.
    5. Mix the rapberry coulis through the Pastry cream.
    6. Whisk the egg white until firm peak stage. Gradually add the remaining sugar, until you have a firm glossy meringue. Mix a third of the egg white into the fruit base and then carefully fold the remaining white.
    7. Spoon into the ramekin. Level off the top, run your thumb around the top. Sit the ramekin on a baking tray and place in the oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 180 and bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and slightly golden, but wobbly in the centre. Dust with icing sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭DenMan

Really enjoyed tonight's episode, was great to see the contestants in a professional kitchen and also especially at how well they all did. Surprised to see Simon go tonight! Sinead is really improving and it's between her and Nicha who I'd like to see win. Conn is a dark horse imo. Really impressed with him. Roll on next week's episode! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

There are a couple of things I'd like to see introduced from other Masterchef and one is Masterclass. Also some encouragement from the judges would not go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    There are a couple of things I'd like to see introduced from other Masterchef and one is Masterclass. Also some encouragement from the judges would not go amiss.

The masterclass is fine for Masterchef Austrailia as that's on every night of the week but it would be a waste of an episode for Masterchef Ireland imo. The masterclass always gets much less viewers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Can't stand Sinead. Hopefully she'll be gone next week and there will be no more histrionics and over-reacting at the drop of a hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Do you think the show could be expanded to two nights a week. I accept your point on time lost with MC but some of the contestants didn't even know how to cook a soufflé.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

The positivity and nice feedback from the Head-Chefs was lovely. Genuine, honest, to-the-point feedback at end of service! They didn't shy from their responsibility as the Superiors in the kitchen, and that shone through for me. Great work by the 5 Head-Chefs tonight.

Agreed. Not like the prick of a chef in the hotel they had the contestants last year. Can't remember his name, but he was the guy who got one of the contestants to shave his beard off.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Do you think the show could be expanded to two nights a week. I accept your point on time lost with MC but some of the contestants didn't even know how to cook a soufflé.

I was just thinking it'd be great if it was on twice a week. Like they could have done one episode with the challenge and one episode with the pressure test. My main gripe with the show is that for a cooking show, we don't get to see much of the cooking. Like we went from Sinead saying she'd never cooked a souffle to suddenly dishing up a decent one :confused:

Degag wrote: »
    Agreed. Not like the prick of a chef in the hotel they had the contestants last year. Can't remember his name, but he was the guy who got one of the contestants to shave his beard off.

The guy in the Shelbourne? He didn't do himself or the hotel any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

LizT wrote: »
    I was just thinking it'd be great if it was on twice a week. Like they could have done one episode with the challenge and one episode with the pressure test. My main gripe with the show is that for a cooking show, we don't get to see much of the cooking. Like we went from Sinead saying she'd never cooked a souffle to suddenly dishing up a decent one :confused:

+1. She wasn't the only one, was it Tamarin who said she'd never cooked one either? I'd really love to know how you just make up a recipe as technical as a souffle, if the instructions posted above are anything g to go by .... either they were spoofing or there's a lot of editing going on. I've a feeling, more so this series than previously, that we're missing out on far more than we're seeing.

Spenny, keep posting! (And well done!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Heroditas wrote: »
    Tears already. FFS!

Terry reminds me of The Viper from Hardy Bucks. "How yee doin' ladz?"

Nice spot. We're both from Mayo. Never been compared to one of Hardy Bucks before!!

Advertisement