Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Just to answer some of your comments/queries

- Yep, there is a lot more going on in the background than you see. each 40 min episode takes 2 days (7.30am - 9pm) to film. So last night a lot of swearing and giving out from a few of us was left out.
    - We do get to keep the aprons when it finished.
    - As for some contestants saying they never cooked a souffle, that was probably true when they said it. We were interviewed straight after we got the task. Then there was a few minutes (maybe 20) while we were waiting to go back in. Some of us had a chance to chat quickly and figure out how to make the souffle. I had only made one in my life (albeit about a week earlier), but once you know it is a custard base, it's easier. I have Gordon Ramsay to thank for getting me through

Aside from that, I might have looked happy (and/or smug!!) when the souffle was done, but I was raging earlier in the day when they gave us feedback on how we did. Probably too many expletives for RTE.

Spenny is giving a good account of what goes on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spenny

In answer to your questions, yes, you get to keep your masterchef apron, chef's blacks (like we had on last night) and a set of chef's whites all with your name on them.

You were given the exact ingredients to make a perfect souffle but no instructions, before the challenge I told all the guys who hadn't made a souffle how to make one, they did pretty well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Masterchef: The Professionals Mon, 8.30pm, BBC2

And for the little ones:
    Junior Masterchef Mon-Fri, 4.30pm, CBBC
    (with Donal Skehan as new judge)

Woohoo I love the UK version

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

fifi234ie wrote: »
    Masterchef: The Professionals Mon, 8.30pm, BBC2

Is that the start of a brand new season of Masterchef: The Professionals? I find it hard to find out when these series actually start? The BBC website isnt great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Now we've Terry posting in here as well? :eek: how am I supposed to know who to support now?!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Now we've Terry posting in here as well? :eek: how am I supposed to know who to support now?!!! :p

Can't slag off any of the contestants either, you never know who's listening :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I just know I'm not supporting Sinead. Regardless if she has an account here or not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rspeedie

When you sign up to be on Masterchef or similar, you accept that how you come accross to people will be in the hands of producers and editors. They take aspects of how behave and hone in on them. If they spot a weakness, they'll magnify it and they'll leave out a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't fit in with the 'story'. The lead editor, sits in on interviews and often leads questions and feeds you ideas to fit in with scenarios that they see developing. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. Several people last year were portrayed very differently to their real selves and I'm sure it's happened this year as well. No point complaining about it, it's just how things are done. I don't blame the producers.

I've never met Sinead, but I'm sure she's lovely and probbaly very well organised generally.

rspeedie wrote: »
    When you sign up to be on Masterchef or similar, you accept that how you come accross to people will be in the hands of producers and editors. They take aspects of how behave and hone in on them. If they spot a weakness, they'll magnify it and they'll leave out a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't fit in with the 'story'. The lead editor, sits in on interviews and often leads questions and feeds you ideas to fit in with scenarios that they see developing. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. Several people last year were portrayed very differently to their real selves and I'm sure it's happened this year as well. No point complaining about it, it's just how things are done. I don't blame the producers.

I've never met Sinead, but I'm sure she's lovely and probbaly very well organised generally.

That sort of sums it up. Im relatively happy with how i am coming across, even if I did seem slightly cocky last week! I cant change it and next week could be a nightmare. Judging by some of the feedback some of us are getting on various social media, you need to have thick skin or else don't read it. I don't mind the slagging. It's something to talk about.

P.s. if anyone is into food photography, and wud like to help me with some website photos, pm me. No money in it but some publicity anyway. I'm going to post more details in the photography thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

amdublin wrote: »
    There's always one girl that Dylan has a soft spot for ;)

This year it's Sinead :)
    I thought the opposite! Her team lost in the triathalon challenge thing, but she was singled out for praise by the judges. Bottom 3! She was far from the worse in the airline food challenge, they loved 2 of her courses, didn't like one. others did way worse! into the cook off.
    She did a good effort on the souffle considering she never made one before, good man spenny!
    No idea how the hell you were supposed to do that challenge if you were never told how to do one. Imagine you never cooked one and you were up against someone that did one hundreds of times :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missyelliot

I agree its sensationalism at its best, its all to get the best tv rating! I think it would be pretty boring without characters like Sinead. And let face it without her we would have nothing to write about!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I agree its sensationalism at its best, its all to get the best tv rating! I think it would be pretty boring without characters like Sinead. And let face it without her we would have nothing to write about!

One post. Hmmmmm

Hi Sinead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yes we would. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missyelliot

LizT wrote: »
    One post. Hmmmmm

Hi Sinead :pac:
    I'm not Sinead| Im sure she'd have a lot more to say in her defense, anyway doubt she even reads these|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would doubt how much cooking they actually did in those restaurants though, especially Locks.

Very little I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ebbsy wrote: »
    I would doubt how much cooking they actually did in those restaurants though, especially Locks.

Very little I suspect.

Ah come on now. They were given one dish, the ingredients, shown exactly how to do it, had a practice run and a chef looking over their shoulder the whole time. I'd be fairly confident that someone who isn't a complete idiot and has never cooked a thing in their life could do it.

ebbsy wrote: »

Very little I suspect.

Why would you think that? Because of the high standard. I was there and Rory was so willing to let me do everything, even plating up, which I thought wudn't happen.

I'm happy to explain what goes on in the background, but one line statements with no fact behind them are a bit annoying. No offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Thud

monkeyman wrote: »
    P.s. if anyone is into food photography, and wud like to help me with some website photos, pm me. No money in it but some publicity anyway. I'm going to post more details in the photography thread.

are you all setting up websites this year, think it was just the winner last year?? ;);)

Thud wrote: »
    are you all setting up websites this year, think it was just the winner last year?? ;);)

A good few of us last year set up websites and business

Conal, myself and Bridin set up Season Supper Club - we have 2 sold out nights in Dublin coming up this month and one on Cork! Websites also.
    Jarek has his own tapas food stall and website
    Christine works for Dylan in Fade St Social and has her own food blog
    Clare-Anne teaches cooking, chefs in BrotherHubbard and runs Secreet feast dining nights, all with websites
    Mike runs dining nights

Doing MC is a great way to get involved in the food industry in whatever way suits you. Most of us had alot of that in place whilst the show was being broadcast so we could capitalise a bit. Good luck to them all this year.

As to the restaurants not letting them cook? Well if you knew Linda McQuaid the director and exec producer, you'd know that nothing in relation to the actual competition between contestants is faked. So tasks were always above board. Well they were last year!

• Advertisement

Someone please tell me to shut up and let it go...its been a whole year already...

Signing out.

Thud wrote: »

For me it was something i always wanted to do. I've no idea what direction it will take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

+1

Great post. People who go on shows like this should at this stage know the score. The show has to be entertaining and the producers will make that happen any way they can.

And agree about Sinéad. If she truly was a flapper, she wouldn't have coped, and done well, in a professional kitchen.
    I think it would be pretty boring without characters like Sinead.

No it wouldn't. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good test tonight :)

Con :o Con :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Nicha seems to get a lot of positive's......from all angles, camera, judges etc.........

To be fair it looked good

Where's the soup :confused:

Polenta chips! Mmm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

The editing is so bad.....no cooking, I've learnt nothing tonight other than Dylan's Mammy is dodgy on the carrots....

Advertisement