Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Back again for another night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I love this test.

THe fact that you are not seeing the same thing you are tasting must be complete mind melt :D

Pressure..

Good girl Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Wonder if they replace the pipets between contestants..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Love this test, good indicator of how much they know

Wonder if they replace the pipets between contestants..

I hope they replace the entire things as they seemed to go back into the bottle...:eek:

Imagine ten people licking a wooden spoon and dipping it back into the pot?

Yeah id day they had individual bottles for them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BALLHOPPER

Compared to the UK competition , the Irish one looks very amateur, one of the judges looks very scruffy and doesent remotely resemble a Chef also the sett looks more like a warehouse than a competitive kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Why are they all sitting/standing at the end of the bench. Why aren't there more chairs?

fifi234ie wrote: »
    Why are they all sitting/standing at the end of the bench. Why aren't there more chairs?

It was part of the test. They were all stuck on 5 correct answers at one point and only one chair.

RTE budget constraints :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well Done to Murphy's Ice-Cream! :) Great show-case.

Well done Terry for taking that on the chin tonight.

Bit your lip, way to go kid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Very surprised that Fidelma is gone, thought Terry would be gone before her

Group hug for Rambo.

I liked Fidelma. Bit shocked she's gone myself.

Competition is hotting up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

themadchef wrote: »
    Well done Terry for taking that on the chin tonight.

Bit your lip, way to go kid ;)

Learnt my lesson last week!

Tough taste test. A lot of us guessed similar things but not good enough.

Yes we got fresh tasters each time. Following 6 others wudnt be good!

Delighted to be in last 5. Shame to lose the 2 girls as the two of them are great cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Thud

monkeyman wrote: »
    Tough taste test. A lot of us guessed similar things but not good enough.

Yes we got fresh tasters each time. Following 6 others wudnt be good!

Delighted to be in last 5. Shame to lose the 2 girls as the two of them are great cooks.

Looked like certain people (Nisha) were getting more encouragement than others during the tasting,
    Dylan didnt say much when you were tasting was that the case or just editing?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Learnt my lesson last week!

Why wouldn't you bite your lip?!?! Whatever you think of them, they are the professionals. And whatever you think of your skills, you are the amateur. Why you would ever contradict them is beyond me. They know better and you're there to learn presumably. So take the criticism on board and cook a good dish, which you haven't done in a while.

Thud wrote: »
    Looked like certain people (Nisha) were getting more encouragement than others during the tasting,
    Dylan didnt say much when you were tasting was that the case or just editing?

Correct. It was edited. We had about 5 mins each.

Why wouldn't you bite your lip?!?! Whatever you think of them, they are the professionals. And whatever you think of your skills, you are the amateur. Why you would ever contradict them is beyond me. They know better and you're there to learn presumably. So take the criticism on board and cook a good dish, which you haven't done in a while.

If u read my previous posts u will see why I stood up for myself. U cant stand there and take personal criticism and say nothing. Comments on my dish are fine. But a lot more happens when cameras not there. How wud u like to be taken from wife and kid for a few weeks and then be bashed on a daily basis. Also, I never said I was a pro.

Most people on here have a genuine interest in the programme and I'm just giving an insight into what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missyelliot

They may know better but they are so rude and ignorant and Dylan up his own ass so yes somebody should stick up for themselves just cos you are a professional doesn't give you the right to be rude and look down on others. The contestants are treated like **** that's why most of them are so emotional. To be honest looks like the professionals are doing more criticism then teaching i havent seen much teaching at all, it looked like they learned more the day they were in the restaurants then in the rest of the show. I think the show is fixed from the start! Anyway love Brian hope he wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

i havent seen much teaching at all
    OK, Ill admit this is the first time I've watched the new format, having never watched the UK or Australian versions of the show. In fact he last time I watched Masterchef, Loyd Grossman was presenting, and it was a format that I preferred better showcased the contestants skills.
    I always thought that MC was supposed to test people, who were already accomplished chefs, albeit at amateur level, and were capable of cooking to a certain standard. There is no need for any teaching aspect to the show at all. Granted contestants may pick up certain tips from guest chefs throughout the weeks but it certainly should not be cookery school.

Big fan of Nicha, hope she wins! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement

sombaht wrote: »
    OK, Ill admit this is the first time I've watched the new format, having never watched the UK or Australian versions of the show. In fact he last time I watched Masterchef, Loyd Grossman was presenting, and it was a format that I preferred better showcased the contestants skills.
    I always thought that MC was supposed to test people, who were already accomplished chefs, albeit at amateur level, and were capable of cooking to a certain standard. There is no need for any teaching aspect to the show at all. Granted contestants may pick up certain tips from guest chefs throughout the weeks but it certainly should not be cookery school.

Big fan of Nicha, hope she wins! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

that was back in the days when you could recreate most restaurant dishes at home, methods, equipment and ingredients have expanded a lot since then so expecting home cooks/chefs to be proficient in all of them from the get go isn't realistic any more that's where the need to teach them comes into it

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

How wud u like to be taken from wife and kid for a few weeks and then be bashed on a daily basis.

See, I don't get that argument either. You knew what was involved when you signed up for it.

that was back in the days when you could recreate most restaurant dishes at home, methods, equipment and ingredients have expanded a lot since then so expecting home cooks/chefs to be proficient in all of them from the get go isn't realistic any more that's wher the need to teah them comes into it

But each contestant should be at a similar level (within varying degrees of each other), the expansion of ingredients equipment etc over the years will have impacted them all more or less the same. Therefore they just need to create a meal/dish, doesn't necessarily have to be Michelin starred restaurant quality, using available ingredients and their own skillsets. It just seems that the show is trying to be both a contest and a teaching/showcase platform, I don't think it can be both, or rather is loses out if it tries to be both.

Cheers,
    sombaht

I disagree, you get someone with some talent/skill and watch them develop into something better with the exposure over the course of the series. Also gives someone with more talent a better chance of competing with someone who has had more exposure/experience

In the old days most of the MC contestants probably went home and had a dinner party, nowadays most are probably trying to use it as a way into the industry.

Australian MC is 70-80epsiodes long with probably a quater of those episodes as masterclasses (non competitive) to teach the contestants, the viewing figures are lower for those episodes but you can clearly see improvement in the contestants over the course of the series.

The Irish contestants appear to be getting very little (compared to UK and Oz) in the way of teaching.

Australian MC is 70-80epsiodes long with probably a quater of those episodes as masterclasses (non competitive) to teach the contestants, the viewing figures are lower for those episodes but you can clearly see improvement in the contestants over the course of the series.
    The Irish contestants appear to be getting very little (compared to UK and Oz) in the way of teaching.

Surely not a fair comparison, I mean how many episodes is the Irish series, 15-20?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Surely not a fair comparison, I mean how many episodes is the Irish series, 15-20?

Cheers,
    sombaht

what's a quarter of that?

what's a quarter of that?

Australian MC = 80 epsiodes

Irish Masterchef = 20 episodes (max)

80 vs 20 = not fair.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

See, I don't get that argument either. You knew what was involved when you signed up for it.

i don't get why people such as yourselves take this so seriously.
    it's a TV programme. it's on TV for entertainment purposes. It's none of our business why the contestants entered the competition. they are the ones that got up off their ar5es and entered the competition. The rest of us keyboard warriors dont have the right to judge, particularly when the show is heavily edited.

If Terry or the others feel like standing up for themselves then good for them. Makes for better viewing anyway.

about last nights show....yet again Nicha is far ahead of anyone. Am I right in saying she already works as a cook though?
    unless she makes major mistakes I can see her winning. The editing makes it look as though she is the judges favourite.

Terry, I'm sure you'll agree that you have had a dodgy last 2 weeks, however you have shown in previous episodes you have the ability.
    All it takes is one great dish one week and you're through.

I'm enjoying the show anyway!
    Would have loved to do the taste test

U think I am argumentative. Nuff said.

I see u are an expert on rugby too! Must be great to be you.

• Advertisement

Australian MC = 80 epsiodes

Irish Masterchef = 20 episodes (max)

80 vs 20 = not fair.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Just 12 episodes here. They have massive budgets in uk and oz.

Advertisement