Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2012

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

John_Rambo wrote: »

Fidelma should have won.

Miley? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo74

Damn RTE for spoiling it - anyone else notice during the intro part for Tamarin , her mam says "... even if she DIDN'T win ...she will be my master chef bla, bla...." ?

Nisha robbed

Disgrace

Johnny, if i may be so familiar...

From what i gather in there is a clean slate approach to the final, so that all contestants can have an equal footing.

If there were not then no matter how stunning the final dish it would matter not a fo... be irrevelant if they could not be judged in a stand alone capacity on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

stevo74 wrote: »
    Damn RTE for spoiling it
    +1

Same for me during those snippets.
    You hear them commenting that one of the meals was not great bla bla.
    Later on, Out walks Terry, he got very decent feedback for his meal.
    Then Tamarin was next and she got great feedback, so ya knew then that Nicha was the one who messed up and was not gonna win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l take it terry won??

ok got it completey wronG!

• Advertisement

l take it terry won??

Tamarin won.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

stevo74 wrote: »
    Damn RTE for spoiling it - anyone else notice during the intro part for Tamarin , her mam says "... even if she DIDN'T win ...she will be my master chef bla, bla...." ?

That to me indicates it was filmed before the winner was announced :confused:

Now if she said "even if she HADN'T won"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

tamarin peaked at right time and deserved it.

terry never had a chance, personal dislike from nick and dylan so evident all the way thru series, reluctant compliments. surprised he made it to final, i thought he was v good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo74

amdublin wrote: »

That to me indicates it was filmed before the winner was announced :confused:

Now if she said "even if she HADN'T won"

Maybe it was filmed before but if her mother didn't know who would win you'd think she would have said " even if she DOESN'T win....." actually come to think of it she probably wouldn't have bothered flying over if she didn't already know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭trashcan

themadchef wrote: »
    Poor Nisha it is hers to win lose at this moment

Really expected her to win from very early stages, but she did seem to blow it at the final hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Hey everyone,
    I'm wrecked after watching it. thanks for all your support through it. I'll keep it short and post a longer piece tomorrow.

Gutted for Nicha and her boys. They were in bits. Delighted for Tamarin. She cooked 3 cracking dishes. I was the backmarker for weeks so had to take a chance and unfortunately it was not meant to be. Yeah I'm disappointed but not surprised. To be honest, I never thought I was going to win it, but glad to have made it to final. It's Mayo GAA all over again!! Fall at the final hurdle.

I really enjoyed it, had some great experiences (especially Nathan Outlaw masterclass) and made some great friends.

If there is a part I didn;t like, it is the way the show is edited to constantly look for negatives. Even Monica from Masterchef Professionals UK gives positive feedback, tough and all as she is.

Thanks again,
    Terry

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Felt bad for nisha, i salvated at everything she cooked and was amazed at her knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Well done Monkeyman, I thoroughly enjoyed the series and my highlight was the Nathan Outlaw masterclass. I know you did not win but hey you are a Masterchef finalist and not many can say that. Well done !
    You have a bright future ahead and I wish yourself, your lovely wife and daughter all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

derra wrote: »
    +1

Same for me during those snippets.
    You hear them commenting that one of the meals was not great bla bla.
    Later on, Out walks Terry, he got very decent feedback for his meal.
    Then Tamarin was next and she got great feedback, so ya knew then that Nicha was the one who messed up and was not gonna win.

Agree 100% with this. They made a right mess of it to be fair and spoiled any element of surprise.

Gutted for Nicha who I think is much the strongest cook of the final three. Even with her standards slipping in Stockholm a 'safe' final three course meal would have seen her home with something to spare. Unfortunately she seemed to go for a little too much and ended failing quite spectacularly.

You could see Dylan digging his hands into his head in frustration when having her main course knowing she'd blown it; and it would have made the final 'cook off' more or less redundant if they'd given her the title anyway. Tamarin stepped up big time in the final and well done to her. Terry also proved himself a worthy finalist with three great dishes in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,324 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

monkeyman and the other two contestants came across as really likable people, and it was a big part of what made the series so enjoyable.

What can you know from watching edited 50 minute episodes, but for me I think Nicha was on determined autopilot up to the last straight - just living in the details of every challenge. Then suddenly she's walking out of a Michelin Star kitchen in London with the Chef's praise ringing in her ears and the scope of the achievement dawned on her. It doesn't seem to me that she managed to refocus after that. Her kids and husband seemed lovely and she looked to have been the most consistent overall. That said, I think all three finalists will be as successful as they want to be - all seemed extremely impressive.

Tamarin a worthy winner in the end for her cooking in the final. Super few weeks of TV imo - whether there are better iterations of the franchise out there doesn't detract from how entertaining it was for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

All in all a mediocre series, not the contestants, the production and editing. They need to completely revamp it for next year. Bring in a whole new team who can bring it on par with the Masterchef UK.

Just some ideas: get rid of that horrible sounding woman who is narrating it, think she also narrated Don't Tell The Bride with her constantly sarcastic/patronising sounding voice. Concentrate on the food and its preparation to make it more clear why people are getting eliminated. Enough of the outrageously outdated shots like Dylan looking away into the distance and then as it zooms in he turns to look into camera with a dead serious expression :confused: I'm surprised there wasn't a star wipe between every scene!

Also Terry do you not feel a bit hard done by? It seemed to me that the before Dylan and Nick even tasted your dishes they had completely dismissed you. Then when tasting your main course they didn't actually say what they disliked about it, they sort of just shrugged their shoulders and said nah...?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Also Terry do you not feel a bit hard done by? It seemed to me that the before Dylan and Nick even tasted your dishes they had completely dismissed you. Then when tasting your main course they didn't actually say what they disliked about it, they sort of just shrugged their shoulders and said nah...?

Deffo don't feel hard done by. I never expected to make the final let alone win. There were better cooks than me on the programme.

If I had pulled off those 3 dishes perfectly, I cud have won. But that was teh first time I cooked them, just like the others. Unlike last year, we got no time to practice. Last year they had a few days.

Don't think Nick was my biggest fan. However Dylan was very supportive of me, pushing me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

Fair play monkeyman you did very well, reaching the final is an achievement in itself. I am starting to wonder about Nick and it comes across to me that at times he doesn't actually know food as well as Dylan or the other chefs that have been on the show. Sometimes it's like he is waiting on a prompt from Dylan before venturing his opinion. eg. his opinion on Terry's main course in the final

i noticed it last year too... another time was in the 2 star restaurant in Sweden, watch it again & see!

who is he to be a judge on that level of cooking? i think Dylan is a fair judge. he seemed hard on Terry on times but i think he brought the best in him by pushing him and Terry made the final & gave it a fair lash in the final too. When it came to the crunch he didn't go with Nisha as the winner when it was obvious from the beginning that he thought she was out there on her own ability wise

great show though in fairness overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I've always thought Nick was picked for that role because of his long experience on Hell's Kitchen UK under Marco Pierre White. In that, he was Maitre D. and didn't have to taste any food. Also, he had done his own reality show over a number of weeks while setting up his own restaurant, Pichet. Basically, he had a wealth of experience in front of the camera on foodie reality shows.

He is photogenic, speaks beautifully and has the right kind of poker face for the job.

Already, he had proved himself to be popular with audiences, whereas, Dylan, even though well qualified for the job, was a relatively unknown quantity, when the show started.

Just my opinions.

I felt sorry for Nicha on the final night, but have to agree, Tamarin is a very worthy winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cipeen

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I've always thought Nick was picked for that role because of his long experience on Hell's Kitchen UK under Marco Pierre White. In that, he was Maitre D. and didn't have to taste any food. Also, he had done his own reality show over a number of weeks while setting up his own restaurant, Pichet. Basically, he had a wealth of experience in front of the camera on foodie reality shows.

If you look at last year's series over again, they seemed to realise there was a problem with his judging during the making of the program and his food tasting input was reduced and reduced until all he did was tell people what was coming up in their next test. So I was surprised to see him back this year.

I'd like to see a change of judges for next year and also a lot more of the contestant's own dishes. I know the budget is limited, but it could be a lot better with a few changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Just finished watching over last few days. The one thing that bugged me more than anything was, like the previous poster hinted, the lack of the contestants own dishes. Apart from the qualifying part, i don't think they created one didh totally of their own until the final. Compare it to the British one, and they are constantly creating their own dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Degag wrote: »
    Just finished watching over last few days. The one thing that bugged me more than anything was, like the previous poster hinted, the lack of the contestants own dishes. Apart from the qualifying part, i don't think they created one didh totally of their own until the final. Compare it to the British one, and they are constantly creating their own dishes.

True.

Advertisement