Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ah, they are just showboating to the contestants............this is not great.....I don't see any direction by the judges to the contestants.........

Was about to thank that and released I already thanked it! Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Cienciano wrote: »
    Was about to thank that and released I already thanked it! Spot on.

LOL Cienciano, but serioulsy, there is a lot of huffing and puffing but no real substance to the judging imo.........

They are fixated by Nicha, and the "dire warning" to the last lads was a bit too much to for me..........Talk about I know it all but I'm not going to tell you....:mad::mad::mad:

Annoyed me no end........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭8mv

It was unfair to eliminate any contestants in that round. But at least two of those ladies had performed very well and deserved to stay on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spenny

I knew this was going to be a tough episode to watch as I obviously knew what was said about my dish. Having said that, my dish did tasted very good and if it didn't why the hell didn't I get my marching orders?

One of the best cooks on the show last week and I fell from grace this week, I will not say what I really feel on here but you can guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

spenny wrote: »
    I knew this was going to be a tough episode to watch as I obviously knew what was said about my dish. Having said that, my dish did tasted very good and if it didn't why the hell didn't I get my marching orders?

One of the best cooks on the show last week and I fell from grace this week, I will not say what I really feel on here but you can guess!

Unlucky mate, seemed quite harsh alright, seemed to be not sieving it properly was the main problem and there were a few more comprehensive errors with others.

• Advertisement

I'll post tomorrow when I have reflected on the comments that I was not a party to on the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'll post tomorrow when I have reflected on the comments that I was not a party to on the show!

I'm fairly sure there's plenty of cutting on what people say. Basically, get you to say lots and they cut it to get what they want?

I knew I was going to get slated tonight as I was obviously standing in front of the judges when they gave their opinion, however, I was never in any doubt that I was going to stay on the show as my dish tasted great and I was the second person to be told to go to one side indicating that I was through to the next round. But to talk about me so negativlely before the decision, what's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Thud

They seem to have a super high opinion of the show, most other masterchefs start with a nurturing phase then step up the criticism later on if the cooking falls short, they dont slate/sneer at the contestants in the early rounds, poor form in my opinion and will put off future entrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Can't believe Dee went! :eek: They liked her dish. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I knew I was going to get slated tonight as I was obviously standing in front of the judges when they gave their opinion, however, I was never in any doubt that I was going to stay on the show as my dish tasted great and I was the second person to be told to go to one side indicating that I was through to the next round. But to talk about me so negativlely before the decision, what's that all about?

I actually thought they cut some of their comments to you and the others out for editing purposes! If all they said was "it looked like vomit" then that really is poor form. How on earth are you supposed to learn anything from that except sieve the sauce finer?? Do they take you aside off screen and give you pointers?

I actually thought they cut some of their comments to you and the others out for editing purposes! If all they said was "it looked like vomit" then that really is poor form. How on earth are you supposed to learn anything from that except sieve the sauce finer?? Do they take you aside off screen and give you pointers?

Hi, no there were alot of comments regarding the dish and guess what not all bad, but these were not shown! The dish actually tasted very good, all of the other contestants tasted it and said it was excellent so I knew it wasn't that bad. I just feel sorry for the 4 girls who left last night as according to the comments Nick & Dylan made about me and my dish, I should have gone!

No pointers given at all, sink or swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hi, no there were alot of comments regarding the dish and guess what not all bad, but these were not shown! The dish actually tasted very good, all of the other contestants tasted it and said it was excellent so I knew it wasn't that bad. I just feel sorry for the 4 girls who left last night as according to the comments Nick & Dylan made about me and my dish, I should have gone!

No pointers given at all, sink or swim!

That makes more sense. I suppose with 16 people they can't show everything. They edit it in such a way as to keep the viewer guessing!

Can't believe Dee went! :eek: They liked her dish. :confused:

And the bad presentation lady. They loved her flavours. Meanwhile the woman who swapped with Nicha (Sinéad?) stays? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

And the bad presentation lady. They loved her flavours. Meanwhile the woman who swapped with Nicha (Sinéad?) stays? :confused:

I was really surprised Dee went over the guy with the custard.

They seem unnecessarily harsh this year going by last nights show, that was pretty tough for a first challenge, if they had of saved that for a few weeks down the road I think it would have been fairer.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I was really surprised Dee went over the guy with the custard.

And the hummous guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just watched that episode. Have to agree with most of people here, thought it was very unfair. I know MC is a competition but once you get through the auditions it's also supposed to be a learning process. Definitely think some of the wrong people went. For some reason I really dislike yer one sinead. Her face annoys me!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Cienciano wrote: »
    Completely agree! They talk some rubbish too, it's like they watched the US and british masterchef and are trying to say masterchef phrases and are just throwing them in.
    If I was judging the judges, i'd tell them "you lack conviction, you're not judging from the heart, zero charisma and character. it looks like you're interviewing someone for a job in a bank instead of judging a cooking show that's supposed to entertain people"

Just came to post more or less this, these guys are two pretentious clowns talking absolute bollocks, they have no idea what they're talking about. They waffle on pompously trying to sound important but have nothing of any value to actually say.If a waiter and failed restaurateur is the best they can get for the show that's just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm 50/50 between thinking that the judges are a joke and the editing is a joke.

Judging by what spenny said above, we're not even seeing half of what has been said to the contestants (so it comes across as being unfair). The audience isn't learning anything (compared to the UK/AU/NZ/USA versions, which all seem better).

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm 50/50 between thinking that the judges are a joke and the editing is a joke.

Judging by what spenny said above, we're not even seeing half of what has been said to the contestants (so it comes across as being unfair). The audience isn't learning anything (compared to the UK/AU/NZ/USA versions, which all seem better).

Or the contestants Mr E.....

I watched the program again tonight as you can get a bit hazed while on Boards......and my opinion hasn't changed......Editing is poor imo....

I only saw the worst possible results from, I'm sure, some very capable contestants and a lot of posing (not imposing judges)......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wasn't Dee given good praise for her dish? More praise than a couple who are still in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

walshb wrote: »
    Wasn't Dee given good praise for her dish? More praise than a couple who are still in the competition.
    I'm inclined to believe that the judges selected the contestants that they believed to be best. I agree that we were given the impression that some of those eliminated had done better than some who were kept. I think that is down to poor editing, giving us comments that were not properly representative of the judges' opinions.

There is also a disappointing lack of emphasis on the core activity - cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

The contestants were thrown is at the deep end, I think, with that last last challenge, I.E where thy had to swap boxes.

No change for this week, when they are going to have to cook for 200 athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rspeedie

A few points...

There is a little more to the You on a Plate Challenge than they let on. You actually get a few days (or at least we did last year) to prepare your dish in advance of flming and when you go up to pick the box of ingredients, you already know whats going to be available. When they switched the boxes, a pure evil tactic but great fun for a viewer, I'd say there was a fair bit of panic. Last year that episode was shot over 2 days and with 16 people to get through in 50 minutes, there's not alot of time to show cooking.

I think thejudges thought they were eliminating less experienced cooks who would struggle under the strain of later rounds. That may not have come out as clearly as it could have in the edit. Don't think it was just down to how the dish tasted, it was how contestants reacted to the situation stress wise, combined ingerdients, the thought process, the cooking skills displayed that hadn't been practiced...blah blah blah

It's also not the judges alone who decide who goes....

I think there's huge pressure to produce a ratings wnner for RTE and I think the view is that cooking alone won't build audience share, but, reality TV tactics will. My understanding from looking at the interviews etc, is that this year's show is a lot tougher in that respect than last year and that the contestants were put through ALOT of stress.

I cetainly wouldn't have liked doing that last challenge and fair play to the final 16...

rspeedie wrote: »
    A few points...

There is a little more to the You on a Plate Challenge than they let on. You actually get a few days (or at least we did last year) to prepare your dish in advance of flming and when you go up to pick the box of ingredients, you already know whats going to be available. When they switched the boxes, a pure evil tactic but great fun for a viewer, I'd say there was a fair bit of panic. Last year that episode was shot over 2 days and with 16 people to get through in 50 minutes, there's not alot of time to show cooking.

I think thejudges thought they were eliminating less experienced cooks who would struggle under the strain of later rounds. That may not have come out as clearly as it could have in the edit. Don't think it was just down to how the dish tasted, it was how contestants reacted to the situation stress wise, combined ingerdients, the thought process, the cooking skills displayed that hadn't been practiced...blah blah blah

It's also not the judges alone who decide who goes....

I think there's huge pressure to produce a ratings wnner for RTE and I think the view is that cooking alone won't build audience share, but, reality TV tactics will. My understanding from looking at the interviews etc, is that this year's show is a lot tougher in that respect than last year and that the contestants were put through ALOT of stress.

I cetainly wouldn't have liked doing that last challenge and fair play to the final 16...

Ah now, you can't leave us with a teaser like that rspeedie!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Fair Play to Dylan for stepping in and showing from experience on how to fillet the fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@ those in the know:

Did Dylan lead by example & step in to assist when he could right throughout as he is coming across tonight?

His leadership skills are really shining through tonight imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ronnie Corbett's doing well in Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The emirates guy is so nice and positive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is that Spenny with the salmon mousse?

Advertisement