Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sinead's fond of the facial aerobics.

amdublin wrote: »
    Is that Spenny with the salmon mousse?

No, Spenny's on the rip with the orange team, they got the rest of the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dylan seems to have got over his five minutes of niceness/positivity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think the big guy is going...

I thought the 3 of then were going to say about sinead: yeah she needs to calm the fk down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The emirates guy is so nice and positive :)

Yes. He came across very well. A good Ambassador for Emirates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭DenMan

Two eliminations tonight. Wasn't expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rspeedie

Ah now, you can't leave us with a teaser like that rspeedie!!:eek:

Judges and producers would discuss it (Allegedly) How the final decision is made? I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ronnie Corbett's doing well in Emirates.
    Don't you mean Michael McIntyre?!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Don't you mean Michael McIntyre?!

That's what I thought! Image!

Jesus they're getting rid of them fairly quickly. I'm not really enjoying this, didn't watch it last year so don't know what to expect. I know in the UK and Australia versions it's also a competition but they focus a lot more on making it a learning experience too. I don't see this happening with the Irish one. And I thought everyone should have cooked on the second day instead of just the losing team.

Sinead wrecks my head! She seems way out of her depth IMO. I like Niche but the judges' favouritism towards her is as plain as day.

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    @ those in the know:

Did Dylan lead by example & step in to assist when he could right throughout as he is coming across tonight?

His leadership skills are really shining through tonight imo!

On most tasks, Dylan and Nick are explicitly told not to help. They aren't supposed to give advice off screen either. On some team tasks, where feeding the general public is involved or team type challenges, this is waived and he can give some advice. When we did the show last year for the critics and Dylan was acting head chef and on the pass, he was very nurturing. Same when we fed the walkers at Brooklodge.

The style of the show is dictated by a combination of the Masterchef production bible produced by Shine and the executive producer's vision. It was nominated for 4 IFTAs last year and had the 350000 viewers average which is very good for RTE2 in that time slot so the direction was seen as a big success.

You can't compare it to MC Oz...that like comparing League of Ireland to the Premiership in terms of production values and money spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm watching the Austrailian one at the minute and it's like night and day. I know their budget must be at least 10 times RTEs but it's great viewing. So dramatic, you get to know the contestants really well.

The RTE version can't decide if it's a cooking show (it's not as they show barely any of the cooking or the processes) or a drama.

Like the cook off - some of the dishes looked great but all we saw was the contestants running around like headless chickens and then them presenting their dishes, we don't get to see the processes they go through to make their dishes. The show would benefit from being a half an hour longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

rspeedie wrote: »
    On most tasks, Dylan and Nick are explicitly told not to help. They aren't supposed to give advice off screen either. On some team tasks, where feeding the general public is involved or team type challenges, this is waived and he can give some advice. When we did the show last year for the critics and Dylan was acting head chef and on the pass, he was very nurturing. Same when we fed the walkers at Brooklodge.

The style of the show is dictated by a combination of the Masterchef production bible produced by Shine and the executive producer's vision. It was nominated for 4 IFTAs last year and had the 350000 viewers average which is very good for RTE2 in that time slot so the direction was seen as a big success.

You can't compare it to MC Oz...that like comparing League of Ireland to the Premiership in terms of production values and money spent.

True but there's elements that are easy to adopt - like having interviews with the contestants instead of a voice over, getting them to present their dish instead of having a voice over etc.

rspeedie wrote: »

Appreciate this feedback!

LizT wrote: »
    I'm watching the Austrailian one at the minute and it's like night and day.

Well, it is. And, when its summer here, it's winter there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kaizer45

That's what I thought! Image!

Jesus they're getting rid of them fairly quickly. I'm not really enjoying this, didn't watch it last year so don't know what to expect. I know in the UK and Australia versions it's also a competition but they focus a lot more on making it a learning experience too. I don't see this happening with the Irish one. And I thought everyone should have cooked on the second day instead of just the losing team.

Sinead wrecks my head! She seems way out of her depth IMO. I like Niche but the judges' favouritism towards her is as plain as day.

I also like Nicha, I dont think the judges are showing her favouritism as she has already been in two cook off`s. Although I do think they were probably expecting her to cook Thai type curry dishes and not the type of food she is producing. This is more than lightly why they are quiet impressed by her so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Heroditas

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sinead's fond of the facial aerobics.

She needs a firm slap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Dylan McGrath spotted in Burger King last year:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/08/11/where-do-michelin-starred-chefs-eat/

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with this. Fast food has its time and place, even for top chefs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

LizT wrote: »
    Like the cook off - some of the dishes looked great but all we saw was the contestants running around like headless chickens and then them presenting their dishes, we don't get to see the processes they go through to make their dishes. The show would benefit from being a half an hour longer.

I came here to post the same thing. I'm sure the judges do go around asking people how they're getting on, but due to lazy editing (or lack of time), they show 90 seconds of quick cuts and panic, and we just get to see the end product.

Kaizer45 wrote: »
    I also like Nicha, I dont think the judges are showing her favouritism as she has already been in two cook off`s. Although I do think they were probably expecting her to cook Thai type curry dishes and not the type of food she is producing. This is more than lightly why they are quiet impressed by her so far.

Hi Nicha! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Hi Nicha! :)

^^^^
    Bit unfair, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spenny

Apologies for not posting earlier. A very tough challenge last night, we assembled in the hotel at 5.45 a.m. on the morning of the challenge and the final sequence was filmed at 6 p.m. so we had all been on our feet for 12 hours at the end of the Kilkenny challenge.

I think both teams did very well with the ingredients provided, I was fortunate to be on the winning team so thankfully I didn't have to do the pressure test which I thought was a very tough one in 90 minutes! I am not sure whether I would have got through on this test!

Unfortunately Joe and Nick lost their aprons, two very talented cooks and great guys to be with, just like the four girls we lost last week.

What didn't come across in the show was that Nick was really ill down in Kilkenny and at one stage we all thought he wouldn't be able to take part in the challenge at all. Fair play Nick you did great mate!

Nicha is a very talented all round cook, she certainly isn't phased by anything that is thrown at her to cook!

^^^^
    Bit unfair, I think.

Standard lighthearted internet response to One Post Wonders supporting someone!!

Plus smiley face indicated it was a lighthearted remark no??

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

What is with the constant background music? It's incredibly irritating and, to be honest, is putting me off continuing to watch the programme. It's something that's crept in from American reality TV shows and it's really unnecessary and off-putting.

Whatever about having music in the background during a cooking sequence or running into an add break, there is no need to have it constantly in the background when people are speaking or the judges are criticing the food.
    There was barely a second in the whole programme without music playing.

It doesn't credit the audience with any wit at all as it's almost like..'this is a tense bit audience..listen to the MUSIC'

Grrr..pet hate of mine, sorry!

What is with the constant background music?
    There was barely a second in the whole programme without any music?

Grrr..pet hate of mine, sorry!

It's a definite editing style but on this show, the sound quality is quite difficult to control so bedding music covers up all sorts of ills in terms of the massive job of piecing together a complex jigsaw of live audio tracks. All the contestants and 2 judges are mic'd, plus there is ambient mica as well. On an outside broadcast you can't control the surrounding sounds and you would not believe how loud it is in a cavernous warehouse studio with between 5 and 8 people cooking simultaneously. Music is a godsend to the sound editor.

Just to answer another point about voice-over being used rather than letting the contestants to the narrative? That is the technique used in the UK show and its mainly used as its easier to editorially control how a programme is pieced together, the narrative is controlled when the producers can write their own script during the edit. On the Oz show its 6 episodes a week so they literally don't have time for VO.

I partly work in documentary production and doing MC was a real eye opener in terms of tricks and techniques to make a show. Shinawil hire in some of the best guys in Ireland to make this show and to me, it shows. It's technically very strong.

Well it's Thursday again, and tonight sees the final ten in the competition cooking in professional kitchens for paying customers. I have to say this was a brilliant experience but very tough in terms of the heat, keeping up with service and plating up perfect dishes for the pass.

Lots of drama in tonight's episode, plenty of tears, swearing if they keep it in, and a load of pissed off contestants including myself at some stage in the show!

Will I keep my apron and make the last 9? let's hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

spenny wrote: »
    Well it's Thursday again, and tonight sees the final ten in the competition cooking in professional kitchens for paying customers. I have to say this was a brilliant experience but very tough in terms of the heat, keeping up with service and plating up perfect dishes for the pass.

Lots of drama in tonight's episode, plenty of tears, swearing if they keep it in, and a load of pissed off contestants including myself at some stage in the show!

Will I keep my apron and make the last 9? let's hope so!

You should write for the RTE Guide :D

One of my recipes is in the supplement in this week's RTE guide!:)

Respect to the 5 Head Chefs for taking on this challenge themselves also and not only allowing the contestants to learn from their own experience, but also for challenging them in taking on aspects to cooking they'd never done before like killing the lobsters.
    Every day should be a school-day regardless of what you do in life, but for it to be filmed in-the-process, Well Done to all! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm enjoying this week's episode. Much better than the previous ones.
    Not too many facial gymnastics yet either!

Advertisement