Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to drink?

Options
  • 24-09-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I'm moving to Crofton Road this weekend and wondering what the locals think should be my new local pub for the quiet drinks in the evening and watching matches?
    I have to be able to walk to it.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

Gilbert and Wrights is very close and its pretty much the only pub in dun laoghaire i would bother going to. They have a projector for football matches, good atmosphere and a great selection of beers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Farrells if you like horseracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Farrells if you like horseracing.

However, there is not one single solitary iota of anything else to recommend it.

I agree on Gilbert and Wrights, however on a day like today for a short walk you have the 40Foot over the Pavillion and the Harbor (sic) Bar around the corner on Marine Road, they both have the usual matches on, passable food and middle to upper range pint prices. They will all tend to be quiet mid-week though, and mostly at the weekend as well come to mention it, DL is not known for being hopping unless the sun is out in the height of summer

You could go one stop on the DART or walk about 15 mins to Monkstown and Goggins, theres a reasonable local atmosphere in there each night

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Harbor Bar in DL will be closing soon. Nando's is coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Harbor Bar in DL will be closing soon. Nando's is coming...

To Dun Laoghaire?

Where, when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

To Dun Laoghaire?

Where, when?

Into where the Harbour Bar is now!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Hello all,
    I'm moving to Crofton Road this weekend and wondering what the locals think should be my new local pub for the quiet drinks in the evening and watching matches?
    I have to be able to walk to it.
    Thanks in advance

You could always try Frank McKenna's on the corner of Wellington Street and Georges Place.
    Usually has horse racing & footy on.
    Its a bit dated but you said quiet & local.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

markest wrote: »
    You could always try Frank McKenna's on the corner of Wellington Street and Georges Place.
    Usually has horse racing & footy on.
    Its a bit dated but you said quiet & local.

And a smashing Pint of Plain also

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

Thanks everyone. Plenty of suggestions there. Will have a couple of weeks of testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

+1 for McKennas. Show most of the big football games and it's nice and quiet, with excellent pints. Old style family pub with friendly staff.
    For an altogether different experience try O'Loughlins just up the road from it, pop in for a pint some day and see how you go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

+1 McKenna's for the kind of evening you're interested in. It is one of those places that the staff will soon know your name and remember what you drink if you make it a regular haunt.

Advertisement