Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE on start up cafe Cork City Suburbs..

Options
  • 24-09-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

A friend and I are considering setting up a cafe business in a Cork City suburb. I have experience in the bar trade and he has bar management as well as cafe management experience. We have a premises in mind which is modern and large in an area with a busy footfall and expected construction over the next 2 years. The premises would be available on favourable lease terms as has been idle for quite awhile although it is prime retail space. Also the owner of this premises is now in financial difficulty.

My friend currently manages a smaller cafe in the same area so we have an idea of the market, customer wants and area. He can see many areas for improvement in his current employment which he is unable to implement due to a franchise business model and stubborn boss. We would be looking to go down a route of fresh local produce possibly from the English Market in Cork City centre, fresh coffee and 4 or so simple hot dishes each day. In contrast to the frozen pre packaged pre made rubbish served by the competition we would be facing.

We are two young lads with very small living costs so would not be planning on taking more than 400/wk out of the business for the two of us for the 1st six months in comparison to business partners having families, cars and mortgages to be paying. We are looking to invest 15-20k to get us on our feet.

Any ideas, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DCalnan

Hi

I guess your biggest outlay will be rent, make sure you have forecasted properly ensuring that income will provide for rent, rates, water costs- there are a lot of hidden costs in a cafe - check them out with the local council - also, depending on the suburb, I know that locally in my suburb there is still room for a good cafe, keep it clean ie regularly clean off tables and sweep floor people have high standards these days and this is a bugbear of my own experience, fresh produce is great, especially home-made cakes and bread and scones if you can get them, quick lunch items, quiche, lasagne, toasties and fresh sandwich counter - always a home made soup available - check out the prices obviously in the competition - don't be more expensive - even if you make offers every week and do "specials" you will find you may get a better volume of customers vs charging more and getting in less customers.

More than anything don't over borrow - this can be your ruination - paying back monthly repayments which will take all your profit.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cooper18nova

Thanks for your reply. Well we will be negotiating a rent free period of between 6-12months so this should give our start up a fighting chance. Ya I know all the costs. Ya clean and personally thank you for each customer will be our mantra!! I agree a full house is better than asking over the odds and having no bums on seats. We will have a small business loan but we are looking at sourcing as much as possible second hand for start if possible and have lined up a few good deals with some suppliers who are fighting for market share themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Personally thank you for each customer will be our mantra!!

Maybe even approaching customers introduce yourself as owner/propierter, ask how are they enjoy they're lunch/coffee whatever and thank them for the custom.

I always found a personal approach with an introduction is a exceptional way to make the customer feel welcome and generate repeat custom.

Just my 5cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cooper18nova

Thanks for the pm sky2424 there is a lot of info and ideas there. While all wouldn't be viable or the route we are looking at, there are many aspects which could be incorporated into our vision. I'm trying to get feedback and ideas as I don't want to be another run of the mill Celtic Tiger cafe. Something a little different but not off the wall, vibrant and funky I guess would be the idea. Yes wandatowell That will be the kind of thing we will be at. After the opening period is over the thank yous will still be a must though, standards will be kept tip top as its very competitive and customers tend to return when they feel their custom is valued. We are also looking into roasting our own coffee. fresh sandwiches etc that route of produce which i think would be appreciated and give us the edge on the competition who are all pre packed and freezer food as such all mass produced rubbish. Artisan is the route we are looking to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

A new cafe opened up a few months ago in Kinsale Road business park. Operated by a couple of Polish people and it does a thriving trade.

Spotless in every part of the cafe
    Excellent coffee
    Decent fresh sandwiches
    Daily special for a fiver
    Good choice of mains
    Open til 9pm

Always seems to be busy - possibly something to look at and try and mimic and put your own angle on in your area.

edit - location is just inside the Kinsale Roundabout Retail Park at the side of one stop chimneys

Advertisement