Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone I.T Wi-Fi

• 24-09-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi does anyone else think the standard of the Wi-Fi in the collage is a big let-down and a disgrace. To have an I.T with such poor download speeds and service is a joke. While in the open access room allowing students to access Facebook should be banned as 2/3 of the users are looking up their Facebook. If they want look up Facebook let them do it on their own personal computer. I know they are bringing in a new system soon. But what is the use if they are still going to offer the same crap Wi-Fi signal. Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Yedya

Yea the WI FI is pretty bad,half the people in the access room are looking ****e like facebook and stuff :/

But i can't say much as i go in there and torrent for an hour or so :p BECAUSE i can't do it in my apartment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Yeah its fairly ****house, i've been hearing a lot about money being an issue. I say thats bull**** and shouldn't be an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ifeelill wrote: »
    Yeah its fairly ****house, i've been hearing a lot about money being an issue. I say thats bull**** and shouldn't be an excuse.

Why do you think its bullsh1t? The post before you, openly admitted to using the connection for torrenting. I suspect he is not the only person in all of AIT who knows how to use Bit Torrent.

syklops wrote: »
    Why do you think its bullsh1t?

Because money shouldn't be an issue in education and as a customer of the college it's not an issue for me to worry about.
    I suspect he is not the only person in all of AIT who knows how to use Bit Torrent.

I suspect you'll go far in life pointing out the obvious. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

and as a customer of the college it's not an issue for me to worry about.

Sorry I must have mis-understood, as a customer of the college you are obviously in the private wing of AIT, and have paid large sums of money for the use of the college and its resources and so deserve the best that can be had. I suggest you make an appointment with the dean immediately so you can voice your displeasure at the poor bang that you're getting for your buck.
    I suspect you'll go far in life pointing out the obvious. :pac:

You suspect correctly, I have done OK for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

In fairness the signal strenggh has improved this year upon last year. I don't think that the connection is designed for people using it for downloading and the likes.

It is there to facilitate students for study, research and light entertainment.

This is not a coffee dock where one of it's USP is having Wi-fi. It is a educational insitute.

Sorry

Glad to see that at least you feel the need to apologise if you'd done nothing wrong to wouldn't have the need to.
    I must have mis-understood, as a customer of the college you are obviously in the private wing of AIT

Hahaha loving the "obviously" very sassy

and have paid large sums of money for the use of the college and its resources and so deserve the best that can be had.

This is a very Irish statement. We almost demand that companies/institutions/politicians take advantage by not demanding good services.

In fairness the signal strenggh has improved this year upon last year.

This is because the Wi-Fi was open to anyone, even those walking by the college. This issue has been rectified and i suspect this is the reason for the improvement in the service.

I don't think that the connection is designed for people using it for downloading and the likes.

I have to assume (Because you haven't been clear) that "downloading and the likes" means heavy downloading for example downloading movies playing online games ? No one is suggesting that the Wi-Fi should be used to download games, torrents etc.
    It is there to facilitate students for study, research and light entertainment.

This is not a coffee dock where one of it's USP is having Wi-fi. It is a educational insitute.

I am not suggesting that AIT is a coffee dock you have inferred that information and you are incorrect. Also i disagree with your statement that having Wi-Fi is not a USP, It is. iPads are increasingly being used by students to learn and study. Having a vibrant and useable Wi-Fi connection is essential for students education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

This is because the Wi-Fi was open to anyone, even those walking by the college. This issue has been rectified and i suspect this is the reason for the improvement in the service.

I'm going to pick holes in your logic because you seem intent on arguing.
    You just went from a statement of fact stating that the reason for the poor signal in the past has been due to outsiders using the Wi-Fi, to your opinion that this was the cause of the problem? Which is it?

Also I find that implausible that people were sitting outside the college hooking into the colleges Wi-Fi, The signal strength just about makes it to the surrounding railings leading towards the bookies and at that it's at the weakest level.

I have to assume (Because you haven't been clear) that "downloading and the likes" means heavy downloading for example downloading movies playing online games ? No one is suggesting that the Wi-Fi should be used to download games, torrents etc.

Do you need me to elaborate on each point i make?
    One poster below openly admitted to using the system to do that and I'm sure he's not the only person. I only pointed out that that is not the purpose of it being available.

I am not suggesting that AIT is a coffee dock you have inferred that information and you are incorrect. Also i disagree with your statement that having Wi-Fi is not a USP, It is. iPads are increasingly being used by students to learn and study. Having a vibrant and useable Wi-Fi connection is essential for students education.

I never mentioned you in my post at all. In fact I didn't even reply directly directly after you.

In reality the USP of AIT is not the Wi-FI in the canteen and library. Nobody here chose Athlone over another college because of Wi-Fi. It is a prerequisite for all colleges in this age.

Did I not elude to that in my post already that it is used for educational purposes?

Is the Wi-Fi not use-able?

Your picking out snip-its to argue for the sake of arguing.

Advertisement