If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers Required....

Options
  • 24-09-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a set of speakers (or perhaps just one depending on your suggestions).

Basically I'm trying to get my whole home entertainment system working with the various Apple devices I have. I've tried sonus and logitech squeezebox as a means of getting multiroom music without having to offload a fortune. Anyway, neither worked particularly well. I turned to airplay as I tend to use itunes to download my music and you can get mutliroom music for relatively low cost.

I'm happy with airplay and now want to upgrade the speakers I have.

I'm not adverse to buying a dedicated airplay speaker but they seem very expensive for the quality you get from them.

So assuming a budget of about €300 what would you recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Shane.

Many thanks for the post.

The only product that we have had that has impressed me by way of a wireless speaker is the Altec Lansing inAir 5000.

This is not a registered airplay device in that you can't play directly from an ipad etc but can be controlled to playback the music on your itunes. Just means your itunes has to be on and visible.

Control is not limited to apple either, it also works on android and PC.

The sound from this is brilliant and the price that we have at the moment makes it a real bargain. £399 retail and we have them at £188.58

Samsung also so a DAE651 dock which is Airplay enabled but this is not in the same league as the Altec in sound but it's quite similarly priced.

I hope this helps but I reckon this would be your best bet.

Let us know what you think.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Hi Shane.

Many thanks for the post.

The only product that we have had that has impressed me by way of a wireless speaker is the Altec Lansing inAir 5000.

This is not a registered airplay device in that you can't play directly from an ipad etc but can be controlled to playback the music on your itunes. Just means your itunes has to be on and visible.

Control is not limited to apple either, it also works on android and PC.

The sound from this is brilliant and the price that we have at the moment makes it a real bargain. £399 retail and we have them at £188.58

Samsung also so a DAE651 dock which is Airplay enabled but this is not in the same league as the Altec in sound but it's quite similarly priced.

I hope this helps but I reckon this would be your best bet.

Let us know what you think.

ATB

Dave

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

Ok so if I was to take away the airplay requirement what would you recommend?

I can always use an airport express base station to get the speaker working with airplay. It would need to have a compatible connection though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

To be honest that Altec sounds brilliant with or without the airplay, so I'd still recommend that.

If you are not looking at airplay and are having to budget for an airport, and would you be open to looking at a decent micro system and not just an ipod system ?

Something like the Yamaha CRX550 with a pair of speakers or are you looking at something more compact ?

Thanks

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.