Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop solid state drive

Options
  • 24-09-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all, I'm just wondering do you think it's worth me buying a SSD. These are my system specs:

<<< System Summary >>>

> Platform : Intel Calpella

> Mainboard : SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. RV411/RV511/E3511/S3511

> Chipset : Intel HM55

> Processor : Intel Core i5 @ 2666 MHz

> Physical Memory : 6144 KBDDR3-SDRAM

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 315M

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HM641JI (640GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH

> Monitor Type : SAMSUNG - 15 inches

> Network Card : Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 4.9 on 7.9

It's a year old Samsung laptop. It's going well except often when I open folders they take ages to populate as I think my drive is only 5200rpm. I'm just wondering would it be worth spending a €100 on a SSD to speed things up.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think the biggest question is how much space can you live with? €100 will buy you 120GB - is it enough?

Alternatively, you can take out a DVD and put in a drive in there if you have one.

Yes, it sounds like an SSD could be very useful to you, if you can survive with the space. As a stand alone drive in a modern system, I'd probably be looking at 256GB drives which come in €150-200.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Moocawn

Thanks for the advice, any recommendations for make and model etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Samsung 830, great prices at the mo and reliability and a 3 year warranty, or Intel 520 more money but a 5 year warranty.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/56863/Samsung+SSD+830+256GB+SATA+III+Paper+Box.article

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Moocawn

Thanks for the recommendations, I went with the Samsung 830 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Good choice. I'd favour it over the Intel too to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement