Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you follow on YouTube?

• 24-09-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know if anyone else here watches or subscribes to some of the photographers who post tutorials/reviews/commentary/rants on YouTube

I have subscribed to Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto), Dom Bower & DigitalRev. Oh, and a strange German(?) guy who calls everyone 'cousin'.

I'd be interested to know what other good stuff - including from a pure entertainment point of view - is out there.

Who do you watch on YT? 38 votes

Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto)
    0% 0 votes
    Dom Bower
    31% 12 votes
    Digital Rev
    10% 4 votes
    Photo Gavin
    34% 13 votes
    Eric Rossi
    10% 4 votes
    That Nikon Guy
    0% 0 votes
    Free Photography Tips
    7% 3 votes
    Somone else everyone else should know about
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

All the above and Greg Cazillo, Phillip McCordall, The Slanted Lens and Bodally (Some great tips, but unrehearsed and therefore some of the stuff he comes out with is really funny, albeit unintentionally).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Zascar wrote: »
    links?

www.youtube.com

:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

sorry feeling very lazy just thought it might be beneficiak for others if someone linked to the good channels that all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Chase Jarvis. Some fantastic videos there!

• Advertisement

Oh, and photo extremist (I think), very creative and imaginative use of basic gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would have voted for the no one option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

I would have voted for the no one option!

same as. i google when i need something, but i don't follow anybody. is that weird?

same as. i google when i need something, but i don't follow anybody. is that weird?

No.. It's just when you subscribe to channels you often see something that you weren't looking for, but may be interested in.

Oh and BHPhotoVideoProAudio often has good (full length) lectures/workshops in amongst the product reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Any proper links?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Chase Jarvis. Some fantastic videos there!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Highly recommend this show on youtube:

Capture - with Mark Seliger

It's more of a chat show/discussion thing. Mark Seliger (big shot photographer) hosts, interviewing other big shot photographers about some of their most iconic images. There's usually a celebrity guest who happens to be really into photography as well.

Only crap thing is that you have to subscribe to a channel that doesn't really have anything to do with photography to get it in your feed (ReserveChannel, which seems to be some sort of lifestyle channel or something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'd forgotten about B&H PhotoVideo. There are some great lectures on this playlist

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA2A7966A44E77011&feature=plcp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Is it just me or does anybody find Jared Polin a bit arrogant. I know hes a talented guy but theres far more talented out there who are a lot more humble. It also bugs me he charges insane prices for his workshops, typically twice the price of Zack Arias, Joe McNally etc and hes really nowhere near the same leagues as those guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Agree on the Jared Polin guy now fair dues his making a name for himself and making videos but I feel his mostly trying to sell his brand more then anything else.

I reckon he makes the majority of his income through his online shop than his Photography business. His got 120,000 subs and id say about 10,000 buy t-shirts at what 20 dollars or what ever the price is, abit of maths tells me the online shop comes first

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

jonon9 wrote: »
    Agree on the Jared Polin guy now fair dues his making a name for himself and making videos but I feel his mostly trying to sell his brand more then anything else.

I reckon he makes the majority of his income through his online shop than his Photography business. His got 120,000 subs and id say about 10,000 buy t-shirts at what 20 dollars or what ever the price is, abit of maths tells me the online shop comes first

He will make good money on ad revenue on YouTube as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Adorama TV, they've managed to get some of the best photographers do turorial videos for them and they're all top notch!

I used to like Digital Rev but now it feels like the guy just tries too hard to be funny all the time rather than do any proper reviews. Their quality of revies seem to be gling downhill the more popular they get...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Digi Rev is hit and miss but I do tune in. He did a very interesting review of camera bags just there and was surprised low pro performed not so good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think Jared Polin is very annoying and his videos are way too long. He takes too long explaining things.

Mark Wallace from Adorama TV is very good. His videos are straight to the point and easy to understand.

The Lastolite videos are worth checking out if you want to learn about flash photography and how to use reflectors and diffusers. I like photographers that keep it simple and don't give you a big lecture or philosophy on photography.

Adorama TV, they've managed to get some of the best photographers do turorial videos for them and they're all top notch!

I used to like Digital Rev but now it feels like the guy just tries too hard to be funny all the time rather than do any proper reviews. Their quality of revies seem to be gling downhill the more popular they get...

It's Top Gear for photography geeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I subscribe to Polin and Digi Rev and enjoy both the channels, but my favourite now has to be 'That Nikon Guy'. His video's lack the bull**** of the rest and, although there's not much humour, his stuff is very watchable.

During Photokina he released 5 (I think) vids in one day - great effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I subscribe to Jared Polin but i thinks he is a complete knob, as some have said he is arrogant and self righteous. He thinks he is gods gift to the photography world.

His reviews are also very poor and VERY biased.
    I think his earlier tutorials were alot better than the stuff he pumps out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Digital Rev by a mile. I'm not after dry commentary in a video, just a general feel of something with a bit of fun thrown in. Kai (and the rest of the team, it isn't just a cult-of-one-personality like Polin) doesn't take himself all that seriously and that puts him way ahead of the likes of Jared Polin.

As has been said, Top Gear is the touch-stone. You watch as much for the nonsense and fun as the product.

Advertisement