Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 15/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Reports of a 3 year is one of the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

just watched it on sky news. pictures look shocking. stay safe over there everyone. thoughts are with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Just tuned in and am watching in absolute disbelief. Words are not strong enough to condemn such a senseless act. Let's hope the boardies are all okay, and that no more lives are lost.

The implications this has for all future sporting events are immense. Frightening and very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

According to CNN website an 8 year old has been killed.. Its awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

TJC wrote: »
    According to CNN website an 8 year old has been killed.. Its awful...

Jesus.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

An absolutely sickening end to what was a wonderful day.
    I'm so sad, angry, sick but relieved.
    Was in a pub a couple of blocks away when the news broke.
    Back in the hotel now where security on the door are giving access to residents only.
    What sort of total scum targets families watching their loved ones on such a happy occasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Back in the hotel now where security on the door are giving access to residents only.

Good to hear ye are safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You just don't know anymore, what next? Hope any boardsies running or have family there or anyone affected is safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Watching CNN. They just took a short break but they said that the president spoke regarding who is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

An 8 year old kid! How f*cking heroic whoever it was :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Deepest sympathy to the families of the dead and to the injured. Thinking of all the Board's runners hope you and your supporters are all safe. Unbelievable thing to have happened at this wonderful event in this most beautiful and friendly city. I am heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I can't imagine the horror of being in Boston yesterday...really distressing viewing on TV last night.

I think having experience of finishing marathons and knowing the unique atmosphere/emotions etc at the finish line has heightenend my feelings. If I'd managed a BQ time last year (was about 15 mins off it) there'd have been a possibilty that I would have entered the race and that my wife and son would have been waiting for me at those flags by the finish line.

The mind boggles at the motives behind this....what political movement/ideology/terror movement could possibly be advanced by specifically targetting spouses and children or marathon runners in Boston yesterday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I can't imagine the horror of being in Boston yesterday...really distressing viewing on TV last night.

I think having experience of finishing marathons and knowing the unique atmosphere/emotions etc at the finish line has heightenend my feelings. If I'd managed a BQ time last year (was about 15 mins off it) there'd have been a possibilty that I would have entered the race and that my wife and son would have been waiting for me at those flags by the finish line.

The mind boggles at the motives behind this....what political movement/ideology/terror movement could possibly be advanced by specifically targetting spouses and children or marathon runners in Boston yesterday :confused:

Same here.

It was so wierd watching that unfold yesterday. I'd spent the afternoon happily refreshing this thread for news on participants from boards. It was like a version of soccer Saturday in some ways. I was rooting for everyone and delighted to see so many good times coming in as opposed to Rotterdam on Sunday. (Which by the way is put well and truly into perspective now) It was a great day.

The moment I saw the post about explosions and turned on sky news my heart sank. Immediately I had a sense of panic for the virtual strangers I have hardly met in real life if ever. This felt like family in trouble. This then of course led to selfish thoughts about my own running times my own family (this went off in a and around the time I would be aiming for at next marathon and my wife and kids would have been there at the end cheering me on) I'm so happy to see everyone from here seems to be ok but that has been of little comfort. I'm gutted and distraught for those directly involved in the actual blasts themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

I'm utterly disgusted at what happened in Boston yesterday. The pictures in the paper today are pretty horrific. God help those affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I was nearly sick when I heard this awful news, I don't know anybody in the run but I can only imagine the horror the runners and spectators witnessed. This has made me very angry.

Cant believe people took pics for twitter instead of helping

Not everybody can help. If everybody went to help it would cause more trouble for the injured. These pictures are invaluable. They could help the investigation in some way. I would encourage this as it could help more than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I can't believe some of the stuff I am seeing on Facebook. Complete untruths and some of the people that are posting them, sharing them or liking them should know better. It's almost as appalling as the events that took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

A little boy had ran up to hug his father who had just finished, he was running back to his mother when the bomb went off, he was killed, his mother is seriously injured and his sister lost a limb. What political or religious belief can justify this?. I'm sickened by this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I was nearly sick when I heard this awful news, I don't know anybody in the run but I can only imagine the horror the runners and spectators witnessed. This has made me very angry.

Not everybody can help. If everybody went to help it would cause more trouble for the injured. These pictures are invaluable. They could help the investigation in some way. I would encourage this as it could help more than you think.

Sorry but putting pics up on twitter with people missing limbs will help no one. If they want to take pics to help, thats fair enough but hand them over and dont publish them on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sorry but putting pics up on twitter with people missing limbs will help no one. If they want to take pics to help, thats fair enough but hand them over and dont publish them on twitter.

absolutely. couldn't agree more with anything said here. A relation of an injured person anywhere in the world could see a picture like this before they had been informed officially. Really makes me sick. Serves absolutely no purpose to post these images except to feed sickos' minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I do think there's a place for photos like that and that it is important to document what happened. But I agree that spreading them around the internet is not the right way to go about it.

The whole thing is like the people posting on Twitter last night, desperate to be one of the first to provide new information and so seizing on every little crumb of info that was coming through and posting it before knowing how accurate it was. Not helped, of course, by the NY Post and the like supplying false information. You get the impression that some people are just revelling in the drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

vitani wrote: »
    I do think there's a place for photos like that and that it is important to document what happened. But I agree that spreading them around the internet is not the right way to go about it.

The whole thing is like the people posting on Twitter last night, desperate to be one of the first to provide new information and so seizing on every little crumb of info that was coming through and posting it before knowing how accurate it was. Not helped, of course, by the NY Post and the like supplying false information. You get the impression that some people are just revelling in the drama.

Twitter was like a feeding frenzy last night, no better than the news channels showing endless repeats of the same pieces of video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/irish-witness-tells-of-panic-in-aftermath-of-explosion-1.1361315#.UW0IVxqHQ6k.twitter

It would appear that reading boards qualifies as journalism these days.... :rolleyes:

Delighted to hear that everyone from this parish is safe and well. Times seems quite irrelevant at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

One of the best weekends turned to one of the worst yesterday afternoon.
    Thankfully no one in our party were directly impacted by the events at 3pm and all our thoughts are with those who were involved along with their friends and families. What was surreal at first is now exhausting. Too many thoughts to express.
    However, one thing is certain. I will return to this great marathon again.
    Whoever did this will not stop us from running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

just in the door a half hour ago...relieved to get here, totally exhausted from everything.
    we were staying in the copley square hotel,just about 300-400 metres from the finish, i was back in the room, had sent a few messages home and i heard the explosions,felt like they were just outside the window...screams and sirens followed...hotel evacuated an hour later and it was real scary stuff, not knowing if anything was next...my friend who i traveled with had just crossed the line, got his water but didnt get his medal as panic set in...people were exhausted after running the distance and were finding it difficult to move....2 hours later as i made my way by foot over past harvard, we were passing runners that had stopped and had no way of getting back into their hotels and some were panicking about their famiies that would have been at the finish to see them.....they need to catch who did this soon...surely someone saw something...what a marathon though...unreal atmosphere all the way round....the bostonians really know how to put on a show,it is a fantastic city and i will be back !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I echo most of what Sosa has described. We were in hotel about 500m away at 2:50pm
    My OH has only just got me a sandwich at a shop beside explosion point no. 1 only 25 mins before the damn thing exploded. She was so lucky.
    Experience was a bit surreal then and the security response was just unbelieveble. Armed SWAT teams, heavily armed police and marines just seemed to appear from nowhere.
    People were very upset, what a beautiful city, people so friendly on a day specially made for families and happiness.
    We got loads of calls and texts from so many to see if we were ok, thank you all so much. And we made some new brilliant friends in Boston, you know you you are.
    I had a tough day on the course. I never really felt comfortable, quads started killing me from mile 13, and my chest went bad also, don't know how I managed the last 13.
    I would go back in an instant though

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Now that I'm home the events of the last few days are only starting to sink in. Claralara expressed it well when she said we were kinda removed from things once the initial shock passed.

It was already a very emotional day for me. As a backdrop to the race I experienced the joy of the birth of my 3rd child 8 weeks to the day and then had the sudden passing of my father 6 weeks to the day.

Most of us on here understand the way the emotions flow at the end of a marathon for all sorts of reasons but usually in a happy and proud way. It's difficult then to get your head around the enormity of the tragedy that unfolded. I can't stop thinking about that poor little boy that lost his life so soon after no doubt being so proud of his father - it reminds me of my daughter running the last few metres of Dingle with me.

I only realised how people at home must have been so worried when confronted with the media on arriving back to Dublin.

Re the race Boston is a fantastic place, fantastic people and boy do they know how to put on a show for their marathon. Couple that with the uniquely challenging nature of the course and its history and you have a fantastic event. I missed my sub 3 attempt by just over 2 mins, hit some sort of a wall for the 1st time since my first marathon but felt so happy and privileged to be part of everything - at least for a small while after I finished.

I think all of us there experienced such a huge range of emotions and its hard to explain. I just thank God that we're all home safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

The first I heard about this was when my brother texted me to let me know that him and his missus were ok. I switched on the news and could not believe what was unfolding before my eyes. The kids had just gone to be thankfully because I think we were in shock.
    My wife is from Boston, and I lived there for 16yrs. I have ran the marathon 3 times, and know Boylston like the back of my hand.
    We immediately started calling all her family over there. Four relatives were only a few blocks from the blast, and one of her closest friends was there and was hit by glass.

I think I was numb after it, probably because it was happening to my city and to my running family. I had sworn off marathons for a few years to concentrate on the shorter stuff, but am now seriously considering qualifying for Boston 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

One down, he got off lightly.

The London Marathon organisers have suggested participants wear a black armband for the race on Sunday, I think it would be a fantastic show of solidarity if everyone managed to do just that.

Advertisement