Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 15/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

First boards post. Yikes. Decided to stop lurking for the build up to my first Boston.

Could someone add me to the table, please and thanks ?
    Category: M35
    Current PB: 2:56:54
    Target: 2:55:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Done

Name|Category|Current PB|Boston Target
    digger|M45|3:20|Sub 3:10
    Sosa|M35|2:59:29|Sub 2:59:29
    Abhainn|M40|2:36:21|2:39
    dapower|M30|2:50:09|2:47
    DukeOfDromada|M36|3:06:36|Sub 2:59:59
    Purceninho|M35|2:56:54|2:55:59

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Peer pressure :cool:

PaulieYifter|M40|3:06:28|2:59:59

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Peer pressure :cool:

PaulieYifter|M40|3:06:28|2:59:59

A nice sub 3 bus there for you guys to work off...you'll have to try and source matching singlets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

gatorade endurance formula is the drink of choice in Boston this year,anyone know where it can be purchased?

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    gatorade endurance formula is the drink of choice in Boston this year,anyone know where it can be purchased?

I had looked on wiggle and they had something similar and that turns out to be it just branded a little differently for europe i'd say.
    8.74 a tub...not bad,worth a try out,on the baa site they say lemon/lime flavour but the choices were lemon or orange...i went with the lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I had looked on wiggle and they had something similar and that turns out to be it just branded a little differently for europe i'd say.
    8.74 a tub...not bad,worth a try out,on the baa site they say lemon/lime flavour but the choices were lemon or orange...i went with the lemon
    Yep, same stuff as last year and same tub on Wiggle.

Yep, same stuff as last year and same tub on Wiggle.

Quick question to anyone that knows the answer, i think i know it myself anyway.

I got in through a charity waiver,does that mean that i am in wave 3?
    I would think i am, i had no marathon in 2012 done to get a Q time.
    if so,would that be a bit of a nightmare trying to get off to a good start, i would probably end up weaving through the first few miles using up energy and adding distance.....

I have been drinkning the gatorade stuff i bought,didnt like it at first but have come round to it, its a bit sharp but a good quencher and seems to top up the energy levels, did a good 18 today and felt great all the way (had 2 bottles stashed along the route)...onwards to Patriots Day !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

FAQ OF THE DAY:

Q: If I improve my Boston Marathon qualifying time, how do I submit it to the B.A.A.?

A: If you improve your qualifying time from the time you used to register, please send the name and date of the marathon at which you improved your time, along with your updated time to registration@baa.org.

Once verified, it'll be applied to your entry. Registrations cannot be updated after February 1, 2013. Please allow sufficient time to update your entry.
    I'd send your most recent marathon time to them anyway (you lose nothing, but stand to gain). You're outside of the window, but sure what harm?!

I'd send your most recent marathon time to them anyway (you lose nothing, but stand to gain). You're outside of the window, but sure what harm?!

Ah i wont bother, i'll go with what they give me,which will probably be wave 3.
    There was no question of previous times or aspired times on the application and its a work thing im doing with our american colleagues so dont want to be the only one in a different wave...tks anyway kc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Ah i wont bother, i'll go with what they give me,which will probably be wave 3.
    There was no question of previous times or aspired times on the application and its a work thing im doing with our american colleagues so dont want to be the only one in a different wave...tks anyway kc
    I sense you have an excuse already. Why train for a marathon and get to Thr start line and stand no chance of getting through crowds. It's a bit like a lad smoking 20 a day and carrying 20 ibs been near The front. Mail them the feic. Give it socks

I sense you have an excuse already. Why train for a marathon and get to Thr start line and stand no chance of getting through crowds. It's a bit like a lad smoking 20 a day and carrying 20 ibs been near The front. Mail them the feic. Give it socks

No excuses VR, im going via work with 16 others,i dont plan on running with them,i dont think any of them are time orientated, i didnt want to ask either so ill do my own thing on the day and will have a go at sub3 if i can,the first 5m are real fast and mostly downhill so i cannot bomb off with the hils on the latter end waiting to pick me off so ill be patient and see what happens,i want to run a Q time for london 2014 anyway...thats the main aim...im not going over here to run my best time...im going for the day out.

Just about to head out for our first 20 miler on the Boston plan, how is everyone elses training coming along?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just about to head out for our first 20 miler on the Boston plan, how is everyone elses training coming along?

50 days to go digger...i have 3 18's done but have the dreaded plantar fasciitis in my foot at the minute so only one run this week....hoping it clears during the week and i'll get back on track.

50 days to go digger...i have 3 18's done but have the dreaded plantar fasciitis in my foot at the minute so only one run this week....hoping it clears during the week and i'll get back on track.

Yeh, get that sorted, only had it once and the physio must have gone to confession after hearing the expletives that came out of my mouth!!

Training going to plan, 10 weeks of my version of the 55 mile P&D plan done, 7 to go until the big day. Third 20+ done this morning. Starting to see the benefits in the last couple of weeks: Better pace for the same effort.

Starting practising the Gatorade recommended on this thread, tastes like salty lemsip, not bad actually and does the job.

purceninho wrote: »
    Training going to plan, 10 weeks of my version of the 55 mile P&D plan done, 7 to go until the big day. Third 20+ done this morning. Starting to see the benefits in the last couple of weeks: Better pace for the same effort.

Starting practising the Gatorade recommended on this thread, tastes like salty lemsip, not bad actually and does the job.

3 x 20's done at this stage, fair play! What pace are you doing them at?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Been reading up on the entry to Boston Marathon there recently. Thinking of setting this as a lifetime goal. Am I correct in saying that the cutoff this year was about 3:09 for U-35's? Is there anywhere that a complete list of cutoff times are available?

What are the best marathons for this? Would a "fast marathon" like Berlin really improve your chances that much? Are we talking 2/3 minutes?

And finally, was looking at the list of marathons - am I correct in saying that getting you BQ at Berlin or Dublin allows you 2 chances of entering a marathon (is the Boston 6 months later and18 months later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Been reading up on the entry to Boston Marathon there recently. Thinking of setting this as a lifetime goal. Am I correct in saying that the cutoff this year was about 3:09 for U-35's? Is there anywhere that a complete list of cutoff times are available?

What are the best marathons for this? Would a "fast marathon" like Berlin really improve your chances that much? Are we talking 2/3 minutes?

And finally, was looking at the list of marathons - am I correct in saying that getting you BQ at Berlin or Dublin allows you 2 chances of entering a marathon (is the Boston 6 months later and18 months later

As off next year the Qulaifying time for U35 males is down to sub 3:05.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying/qualifying-standards.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

menoscemo wrote: »
    As off next year the Qulaifying time for U35 males is down to sub 3:05.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying/qualifying-standards.aspx

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I read here that there was a "lowest time qualifies" appraoch in 2012 - whereby you had to beat the qualifying time by 1:14 to qualify. Was this scrapped for 2013? Is it just beat 3:05 now?
    "On September 26th of 2011, the Boston Athletic Association released what the cut off times were for the race in 2012. This is word for word what the BAA said about qualifying for the upcoming race.
    "Those who had a verified qualifying performance of one minute, 14 seconds or faster than the eligible standard for their age group have been accepted into the race."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I read here that there was a "lowest time qualifies" appraoch in 2012 - whereby you had to beat the qualifying time by 1:14 to qualify. Was this scrapped for 2013? Is it just beat 3:05 now?
    "On September 26th of 2011, the Boston Athletic Association released what the cut off times were for the race in 2012. This is word for word what the BAA said about qualifying for the upcoming race.
    "Those who had a verified qualifying performance of one minute, 14 seconds or faster than the eligible standard for their age group have been accepted into the race."

Yeah I know that since 2012 they set up a system whereby the fastest qualifiers got preference. (they allowed the guys with a BQ 10 minutes under to register one day and 5 minutes under the next before opening it to everyone). But I think that for the 2013 marathon they took a month to fill up so anyone with a qualifying time was guaranteed entry.

Not sure how it will be for 2014 but the faster your qualifying time the better your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

2013 is the first year with the new qualifying standards - 5:59 faster than 2012.
    Everybody that met the standard that entered had their entry accepted - this was in October. They do a rolling entry system where those with qualifying times better than 10 mins could enter 1st and then opened entry for those closer to the qualifying time on a rolling basis over a 2 week period.

As they didn't fill the race in the 2 weeks entries remained open until full and those that made the time in say Dublin or Chicago could enter on a 1st come basis. Their qualifying times from those races are also good for 2014 but entry for that opens next October. So this time the one race (Dublin) was good for 2013 and 2014 but that's not the case if entries fill up sooner.

Another possible reason that qualifying remained open after the two weeks was that the Boston marathon in 2012 was very hot. I've read elsewhere the number of people requalifying was down on previous years.

Saw the following article from Greg McMillan recently. In summary it is the down hill running that shreds the legs at Boston not the hills from miles 16 to 21, he is recommending pushing on down hill sections of training routes for the last few weeks and also running strides downhill.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/performance-page-racing-better-boston

I'll give it a try during my MP long run next weekend.

5 weeks today :eek:

5 weeks today :eek:

and i am (hopefully) back in the game...did 10m today in the snow and the foot is no worse so hopefully its a case of managing it and not overdoing it...fingers and everything else crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

purceninho wrote: »
    Saw the following article from Greg McMillan recently. In summary it is the down hill running that shreds the legs at Boston not the hills from miles 16 to 21, he is recommending pushing on down hill sections of training routes for the last few weeks and also running strides downhill.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/performance-page-racing-better-boston

I'll give it a try during my MP long run next weekend.

In fairness that nugget has been knocking around years. I can even remember John Tracey saying something similar when he finished 3rd in 1988. Don't get caught up on those Boston hills. It's typical American exaggeration. If you run the s-bends in the Phoenix park or similar you will be more than ready.

TRR wrote: »
    In fairness that nugget has been knocking around years. I can even remember John Tracey saying something similar when he finished 3rd in 1988. Don't get caught up on those Boston hills. It's typical American exaggeration. If you run the s-bends in the Phoenix park or similar you will be more than ready.

So why do you have me running the Duck Egg loop on a snowy Monday then? :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

So why do you have me running the Duck Egg loop on a snowy Monday then? :D;)

That's all you baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

On the subject of hills I stumbled across this today, and thought it might be of interest (although maybe a little late in the training!).

In planning my training for Boston last year I tried to replicate the hills as much as possible. Little did I know that the hills weren’t going to be the main challenge in that race!

What the attached file shows is the location on the course of each of the four Newton Hills. They start with a sharp downhill at the 15 mile point before three rolling hills and the culminating in the jewel in the crown that is Heartbreak Hill.

Column B is the point on the course where the hill starts
    Column C is the point in the course where the hill ends
    Column D is the elevation at the start of the hill
    Column E is the elevation at the end of the hill
    Column F is the net elevation gain/loss
    Column G is the length of the hill in miles

I managed to find a hill near where I live that replicated Heartbreak Hill almost precisely so included reps of this in my PMP sessions. Needless to say it’s a different challenge in 8 degree heat than it is at 28 degrees!

Advertisement