Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 15/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

23 days to go and i did my first 20 miler today.....not ideal but one or maybe 2 more and ill get around...foot sore though.

live stream of final clinic for the marathon here http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/2013-boston-marathon-clinics.aspx
    at 10:15

Topic: PREPARING FOR RACE DAY (presentation begins at 6:15 p.m.)
    • Final Countdown to Patriots' Day
    • Race Day Logistics
    • Course Preview

got my passport today....ready to go....they dont do things by halves in beantown !

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Got mine yesterday too. The tourist attractions with the rating of how much walking is involved is a great idea. So who is on for a Duck Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

My "runners passport" arrived today also. How cool :).

A nice present for first day of taper after the last 20+ on Monday morning.

Signed up for the Fr Murphy 5 mile. Fits in nicely as a tune up race in my P&D plan.

• Advertisement

Got mine yesterday too. The tourist attractions with the rating of how much walking is involved is a great idea. So who is on for a Duck Tour?

im booked in on the sunday at 2:30...looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sosa wrote: »

Have done the duck tour myself over there. Would definitely recommend it......you see the city and no walking!! win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Lazy me, how did you book it?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Lazy me, how did you book it?

Hey Joe,my work colleagues over there booked it for us,but a quick google got me this...seems to be $33pp....http://www.bostonducktours.com/tickets.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

+1 for the Duck Tour. Did it on the Saturday last year, and we all enjoyed it.

Also worth checking out the 5k race the day before the marathon. Easy enough to get a seat at the finish line and watch the elites and mass participants (if anyone travelling with you is a runner, then it's worth them entering this also).

Not sure about this year, Sam Adams were one of the sponsors last year, and any marathon runners who went on their brewery tour got a commerative beer glass (a sturdy one litre stein glass, as shown here) that had a course profile printed on it. This is probably my favourite marathon souvenir. (Incidentally whilst on the subject, you can get a free poster at the expo that has every runner's name printed on it - think it's at the adidas stand - mind you last year they had a printing error, so half the names were missing from it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    you can get a free poster at the expo that has every runner's name printed on it - think it's at the adidas stand - mind you last year they had a printing error, so half the names were missing from it!)
    I never heard that! The RedSox are playing at home in Fenway from the 12th-15th. If you haven't been to a ball-game, it's definitely worth a look. Tickets aren't cheap though (~$130 minimum). They're out of town Tuesday-Thursday (after the race) but back on Friday. It'd be a great post-race experience, enjoying some suds and franks (2-for-1 Fenway Franks in April!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm liking that brewery tour idea....

+1 for the Duck Tour. Did it on the Saturday last year, and we all enjoyed it.

Also worth checking out the 5k race the day before the marathon. Easy enough to get a seat at the finish line and watch the elites and mass participants (if anyone travelling with you is a runner, then it's worth them entering this also).

Not sure about this year, Sam Adams were one of the sponsors last year, and any marathon runners who went on their brewery tour got a commerative beer glass (a sturdy one litre stein glass, as shown here) that had a course profile printed on it. This is probably my favourite marathon souvenir. (Incidentally whilst on the subject, you can get a free poster at the expo that has every runner's name printed on it - think it's at the adidas stand - mind you last year they had a printing error, so half the names were missing from it!)

im running the 5k also....got signed up without any prior knowledge and was exactly delighted about it but now that time is out the window...im looking forward to it...6000+ at 8am the day before just outside my hotel...win win...

looking forward to knocking back a few sam adams 26.2's when its all done....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

looking forward to knocking back a few sam adams 26.2's when its all done....

That is a beautiful thought and is my intention also (if I'm able:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Flight tickets etc arrived this morning... am finally letting myself think about the big day. Following some bad weeks of training and some good weeks I'm throwing my hat in the ring... would love to go sub 3:05 for a PB of 3 mins and 8 seconds on Berlin in September. It's optimistic but might as well aim high!! :)

Also booked the 2:30 on the Sunday from the Prudential Center too, for myself and the Duchess. Fits in perfectly with a little stroll to the pre-race dinner at 4:30 for me.
    Not sure about this year, Sam Adams were one of the sponsors last year, and any marathon runners who went on their brewery tour got a commerative beer glass (a sturdy one litre stein glass, as shown here) that had a course profile printed on it. This is probably my favourite marathon souvenir.

Sounds great. I looked it up but couldn't find anything on it for this year.

Also booked the 2:30 on the Sunday from the Prudential Center too, for myself and the Duchess. Fits in perfectly with a little stroll to the pre-race dinner at 4:30 for me.

i'll keep an eye out of the irish royalty then....

i'll keep an eye out of the irish royalty then....

Yes, sorry, meant to say it would be good to meet up seen as you are going for sub 3 also. If you want that is.

Wouldn't exactly call us royalty now:p

Yes, sorry, meant to say it would be good to meet up seen as you are going for sub 3 also. If you want that is.

Wouldn't exactly call us royalty now:p

Hey Duke,
    any thoughts of a decent time are out the window for me,i am still plagued with plantar fasciitis,running on grass mostly,the road is really giving me grief,im doing only my second and last 20miler in the morning...and it will be nothing special......will talk to you over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Will be sharing the amphibious landing vehicle with you at 2:30....thanks for the nudge. :)

And would love to do the Sam Adams tour as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hi all. A friend of mine has had to pull out of the Boston Marathon this year due to illness disrupting five weeks of his most intensive training period. He isn't an internet kind of fella but I said I'd ask here if anyone who's doing it and might not have got their plane ticket yet might be interested in taking up his seat. He told me he'd obviously pay for the change of name on the ticket and he said that he got a really cheap flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Going to skip the duck tour and instead find a quiet bar stool, put the feet up and watch the final round of the masters on Sunday afternoon.

Monday afternoon/evening - give the same bar stool a lesson in post marathon drinking - two pints and fall asleep :D.

Has taper madness set in yet?
    Felt good on my long run today, so pushed on, got home and saw a tweet from Marathon Talk telling people to take it easy on the final longs runs. Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

purceninho wrote: »
    Going to skip the duck tour and instead find a quiet bar stool, put the feet up and watch the final round of the masters on Sunday afternoon.

I reckon this will be the first time in 29 years that I won't be lining up the empty cans of Guinness on Master's final round night!

Alistair Cragg running the 5k on the Sunday
    Gebremeskel should literally run away with it though.

http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2013/april/smith-and-kiprono-to-defend-titles-in-baa-distance-medley.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

no long range weather forecasts yet? You are all managing the taper madness well I see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

TRR wrote: »
    no long range weather forecasts yet? You are all managing the taper madness well I see ;)

Just cause we haven't updated here doesn't mean we haven't been checking every 5 minutes!
    The taper madness hit me like a train on the way home from work yesterday - totally on edge all of a sudden. My 8th marathon but the taper doesn't get any easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Just cause we haven't updated here doesn't mean we haven't been checking every 5 minutes!
    The taper madness hit me like a train on the way home from work yesterday - totally on edge all of a sudden. My 8th marathon but the taper doesn't get any easier.

Well last year I did a sun dance for the lads and they got a scorcher, do you have any requests this year? Just to let you know my "50 mile headwind" dance is about to commence in 5 minutes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

TRR wrote: »
    Well last year I did a sun dance for the lads and they got a scorcher, do you have any requests this year? Just to let you know my "50 mile headwind" dance is about to commence in 5 minutes :)

If there's even a hint of an easterly then I will look for you, I will find you...

Advertisement