Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB [change of account type and] bank charges

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a postgraduate student, and have had a student account in excess of 6 years. This year AIB changed me from student to regular account, despite me still being registered as a student, and I incurred approx 40euro of fee's from various transactions.

**this was without actually knowing my account had changed in any way, the charges accrued over a number 3 months.

I found this out today, when going into my college branch, the teller asked me was i still a student as my account had changed to a regular current account. She then filled out the paperwork to switch it back to student, but said i could not claim the fee's back, as it was my job to inform AIB i was still a student. She suggested that accounts change automatically after 4 years; but this doesnt add up as ive had 6+ years of no fee's during my time in college.

Anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions as to what to do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was moved from a Student Account to a Graduate Account (also free banking), and then on to a regular Current Account. I was informed of all the changes by phone and by post.

I was still using the Student Account for a while after I'd graduated, but they called and asked me if I was still a student before moving me to the Graduate Account.

They might have moved you to the Graduate Account without telling you, just like they moved you to a regular account, but I don't know why they didn't contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

The terms and conditions state four years as student and two as graduate. Thats your six years. These rules are in the terms and conditions and you would have been on notice as to the type of account you held from examining your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Thanks all. I guess ill have to just grin and bear it while they change me back to student mode.

Advertisement