Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should window restrictors come as standard on uPVC Windows?

• 24-09-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Am having some new windows installed & want to know if restrictors should be fitted as standard for side openings? Is their any fire/safety regulation that states this or would it be up to the customer to request? The windows in question are first floor bedrrom windows & a ground floor large sitting room window.

Front of house done & the side openings open all the way out. They still have to come back to do the back of house so want toget my facts straight before asking them to fit restrictors.

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Called the guys back that fit the windows in my parents house as I felt the opening in the upstairs windows very dangerous for grandchildren. Used this to back up the fact that they should be fitted.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf

Page 59 section (e) -

The opening section of the window should be
    secured by means of fastenings which are readily
    openable from the inside and should be fitted
    with safety restrictors. Safety restrictors can be
    either an integral part of the window operating
    gear or separate items of hardware which can be
    fitted to a window at the time of manufacture or
    at installation. Restrictors should operate so that
    they limit the initial movement of an opening
    section to not more than 100 mm. Lockable
    handles or restrictors, which can only be
    released by removable keys or other tools,
    should not be fitted to window opening sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Called the guys back that fit the windows in my parents house as I felt the opening in the upstairs windows very dangerous for grandchildren. Used this to back up the fact that they should be fitted.

Thanks for that. I'll question the fact that they haven't been fitted & if they have a problem or try to charge extra to fit them I'll quote from the above link.

No problem. Knew keeping that on file would come in handy one day! :)

I am also disappointed that I didn't get our guys to install better hinges, they stuck in the cheapest hinges they could find, hence the reason the windows were opening to the gods! We later had new windows fitted to the front of the house and they installed the hinges that open so you can wash the windows from the inside, they are brilliant I wish we had of known about these at the time and I would have insisted they change the cheap ones. Just something to think about if they haven't started work on your back windows yet.

Infinity-Ultrex-Fiberglass-casement-easy-wash_266x160.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Everything completed yesterday so am happy enough, but the above do seem like a good idea. Maybe next time, & thanks for suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf

Page 59 section (e) -

The opening section of the window should be
    secured by means of fastenings which are readily
    openable from the inside and should be fitted
    with safety restrictors. Safety restrictors can be
    either an integral part of the window operating
    gear or separate items of hardware which can be
    fitted to a window at the time of manufacture or
    at installation. Restrictors should operate so that
    they limit the initial movement of an opening
    section to not more than 100 mm. Lockable
    handles or restrictors, which can only be
    released by removable keys or other tools,
    should not be fitted to window opening sections.

Can these be easily released in the event of fire? I don't doubt that a fatal injury could occur from a one-storey fall and these restrictors would prevent that but what are the corresponding fire safety measures?

• Advertisement

Villaines wrote: »
    Can these be easily released in the event of fire? I don't doubt that a fatal injury could occur from a one-storey fall and these restrictors would prevent that but what are the corresponding fire safety measures?

If you click on the above link to the original file, you will see that the paragraph is actually taken from the fire safety building regulations. The restrictors are only spring loaded and can easily be opened.

Advertisement