Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish higher level

• 24-09-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Im only a few weeks into 5th year and im fairly certain i want to do Irish teaching after school. My Irish is fairly good but my teacher is awful and cant control the class.Im trying my best to listen but most of the class dont want to do it. theres only 10 of us doing higher level in the class. there is 28 in the class in total.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

malascoile wrote: »
    Im only a few weeks into 5th year and im fairly certain i want to do Irish teaching after school. My Irish is fairly good but my teacher is awful and cant control the class.Im trying my best to listen but most of the class dont want to do it. theres only 10 of us doing higher level in the class. there is 28 in the class in total.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance :)

Get the other people in the class who want to learn and go straight to the principal and say you're not learning anything.. It's the only solution.

The principal should put a stop to it straight away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get the other people in the class who want to learn and go straight to the principal and say you're not learning anything.. It's the only solution.

The principal should put a stop to it straight away.

How? By reversing the cuts for that school?

Unfortunately, OP, this is a sign of the value the current government put on education. I dread to think how bad it will be by the time you qualify.

On the plus side, Irish is one of the few subjects areas there are (anecdotally) teaching jobs in.

spurious wrote: »

Unfortunately, OP, this is a sign of the value the current government put on education. I dread to think how bad it will be by the time you qualify.

On the plus side, Irish is one of the few subjects areas there are (anecdotally) teaching jobs in.

There was 31 students in my 6th year Irish class. The teacher was extremely strict but very fair, in a double class of 80 minutes there wouldn't be one word from the class while we were listening or doing work, 40 or so minutes into the class the teacher would give us a 2 minute break to talk but after that two minutes and we started working again the class would be silent.

The fact the teacher can't control a class of 28 is the real issue here, not how much money the government allocates for education.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Of course, I forgot, it's always the teacher's fault.

Nothing to do with trying to prepare two groups for two different exams in an overcrowded room with a number of unwilling attendees.

Why not jam everyone in the gym and let your wonder teacher take one class for each subject?

Why have limits at all on class sizes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Current Government? Yea sure they're a load of ****e but its more so previous government's faults when we actually had money. Been in large classes ever since I've been in school.

• Advertisement

And that's why I gave the advice to get the other people in the class who want to learn and go to the principal, it's part of the principals job to deal with the unwilling attendees.

Why not jam everyone in the gym and let your wonder teacher take one class for each subject?

What advice did that question contribute to the problem this person has?

And I gave one teacher as an example.
    My new german teacher in 5th year could not 'control the class' (30 students) for her first 2 weeks or so because she let the 'unwilling attendees' walk all over her. A group of us went to the principal and he took action straight away, he took these 'unwilling attendees' out of every German class and gave them a mountain of work to do in 40 minutes and if they hadn't got it done they had to finish it in detention. After a week of this he put them back in to the class and there wasn't a peep out of them for the rest of the year. The teacher could teach the class. Problem solved.

Advertisement