Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn pooping question.

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,
    Our little girl was born 4 days ago , she had three bowel movements of ,I presume meconium ,over the two days she was in hospital but since we came home she hasn't had any bowel movement .She is urinating regularly . She is taking 40ml of SMA 6 times per day and today we had a visit from the nurse and she said to give her 15ml of water twice per day to help. the nurse wasn't too worried about it.
    Anybody here have similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

a four day old baby should NOT be given water, and definitely not twice a day.
    As long as your baby is urinating she is fine for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

liliq wrote: »
    a four day old baby should NOT be given water, and definitely not twice a day.
    As long as your baby is urinating she is fine for the moment.

Thanks for the reply , the nurse that does the house visits came today and specifically told us to give our baby 15ml of water twice a day I'm confused now , I'll contact my GP but thank you for the info , I wasn't aware that water was bad for a baby but after your reply and a quick google it seems you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Definitely contact your GP if you're in anyway worried or unsure.
    Babies need all their intake to be calorific and nutritious, especially as their stomachs are so small. water is really counter intuitive, it fills them up but is neither calorific or nutritious, so they can lose weight rapidly.
    To be honest, I'd consider reporting the advice that the nurse gave you to an appropriate person, maybe a supervisor or similar in the care centre she is based in, as it is potentially extremely dangerous advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

bbsrs wrote: »
    Hi All ,
    Our little girl was born 4 days ago , she had three bowel movements of ,I presume meconium ,over the two days she was in hospital but since we came home she hasn't had any bowel movement .She is urinating regularly . She is taking 40ml of SMA 6 times per day and today we had a visit from the nurse and she said to give her 15ml of water twice per day to help. the nurse wasn't too worried about it.
    Anybody here have similar experiences?
    My nurse also told me to giVe my newborn a little drop of water a few times a day, a doctor told me the Same. I was having a problem with wind and bowel movements with him and he had it from 5/6days old. my baby is now 6 weeks and thriving, when weighed at four weeks he had put on 2lb 10oz so the water definitely did him no harm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah, I've never heard to water being bad for a newborn either..

Our Nurse also told us to give him a little bit of water daily, she said once he was getting plenty of milk then it was no harm at all.

:confused:

Maybe if the baby was particularly underweight, then it's not advisable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

a four day old baby should NOT be given water, and definitely not twice a day..
    Babies need all their intake to be calorific and nutritious, especially as their stomachs are so small. water is really counter intuitive, it fills them up but is neither calorific or nutritious, so they can lose weight rapidly.
    To be honest, I'd consider reporting the advice that the nurse gave you ...
    I'm not being bad, but are you qualified to be contradicting the advice given by a medical professional?

I understand you are trying to help, but should you be contradicting, over the internet, what the OP was told after an actual visit from a nurse?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod note*
    Please do not give out medical advice here or contradict medical advie that another poster has been given.
    Advising to seek a 2nd opinion is acceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement