Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla sugar...

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was in a shop earlier today and I noticed that they're selling 300g of Vanilla flavoured sugar for around e3.80.

I suppose I could use this to experiment with a brew in the future, is that right? When the yeast consumes the sugar, will the vanilla flavour still be present?

If, for example, a brew required 1kg spray malt, could I use 700g spray malt and 300g of vanilla sugar? Is it substituted in this way?

Also, what sort of beer would be best suited to sugar with flavours like this one?

Anyone her with experience with using flavoured sugars in their home brews?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You'd probably be as well off to just throw in a vanilla pod into the boil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Seaneh wrote: »
    You'd probably be as well off to just throw in a vanilla pod into the boil?

After pimiary fermentation to avoid.boiling.of any aromatics. You can steep it in some neutral spirit to kill.any bug, if you feel the need

Advertisement