Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homesickness!

Options
  • 24-09-2012 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is a topic that comes up a lot in this forum, but how do people deal with homesickness? I'm studying abroad in Spain for a year, but I also spent the summer abroad, so I haven't properly been home in a few months and won't be again until Christmas. I feel a little bit homesick, to be honest. I have other Irish people here with me, and I've met other people from the English-speaking world. I'm not completely isolated. But, for some reason I'm just really missing home and really feel like a foreigner in this country. I've been out and about, sampled the local food and drink and I'm in college so I'm interacting with the locals here. I still just feel out of place though. What do people do to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Get this (4ish euros a month)
    http://unblock-us.com/

Then you can watch the stuff on RTE, TV3 etc.

Also if you have an Android phone then get Podkicker and subscribe to some Joe Duffy, the Last Word, Savage Sunday.

Thats all I can think of really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

Broaden your horizon a bit more and mingle with Spanish people. Mo need to associate only with other Anglophones. You're in Spain. Irish people tend to be very clannish when abroad -- avoid Irish people a bit more and immerse yourself in local life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Long Time Reader

I'm sure this is a topic that comes up a lot in this forum, but how do people deal with homesickness? I'm studying abroad in Spain for a year, but I also spent the summer abroad, so I haven't properly been home in a few months and won't be again until Christmas. I feel a little bit homesick, to be honest. I have other Irish people here with me, and I've met other people from the English-speaking world. I'm not completely isolated. But, for some reason I'm just really missing home and really feel like a foreigner in this country. I've been out and about, sampled the local food and drink and I'm in college so I'm interacting with the locals here. I still just feel out of place though. What do people do to deal with this?

Being homesick is a perfectly normal feeling. It's a great feeling to have. I imagine when you think of home, you get sad because your thinking of all the great times you had with your friends and or family, crazy nights outs and funny stories that have stuck with you.

Be glad your homesick. It high-lights all the good you have had and will have. In fact don't use the word homesick again, change it to something else. call it 'I'm sooossss lucky to have a great family/friends sickness' now thats a good sickness to have :)

(Now... thats my good deed for the day done) :) Now you have to go do something good to another person.... spread the LOVE :)

Advertisement