Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Catridges are legal?

Options
  • 24-09-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to the shotgun world, well, relatively speaking, a couple of years. Use 7 to 7-7.5 for clay and they seem effective on the odd rabbit. Ya aint picking out any lead afterwards haha! I've gotten 5s, its all I've really needed, but what I'm wondering how low does shotsize go in Ireland before becoming illegal/restricted? Or is there even a restriction? I've heard slugs are restricted? Are BB, BBB or even T cartridges? Also while my shotgun is rated for 3.5 inch cartridges, which I presume is for turkey or large fowl, do they even sell those loads in Ireland?

Be nice to hear from guys that know the story rather than local lads opinions ;)

Cheers

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Only slug and sabot ammunition is restricted...you can have any shot size you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Is triple B ammo hard to come by? Wouldnt mind getting a box at the weekend for the crack and shooting a few cans! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have seen AAA in shops and have a box myself for foxes, BBs also and I have two boxes of 00. Which I bought out of curiosity. At around €13.00 a box save the killing of cans and have the crack with 7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

3.5 and 3.5 magnum is available here too. However ,you want to be on very good speaking terms with the bank manager to afford shooting with it at tin cans!:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ah ya know yourselves, I just want to try them out for the crack, no problem paying twenty squid for a box once off to try a heavy load....the magnums are supposed to be great for duck? All american info is what I can get. Does Stakelums in thurles sell AAA? Not going to make a habit of wasting money haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Ketron wrote: »
    Ah ya know yourselves, I just want to try them out for the crack, no problem paying twenty squid for a box once off to try a heavy load....the magnums are supposed to be great for duck? All american info is what I can get. Does Stakelums in thurles sell AAA? Not going to make a habit of wasting money haha!

please please please ! stop with the american info , ive seen americans use .50 cal on deer , it called over kill you will knock all the duck ya need with 32,34,36 g 4, 5, 6 ,7 . i personally use eley 32g 7 or 6's for all of my game . and firing them heavy loads down your gun all the time is a sure fire way of wrecking it .

id buy a box of magnums for fox beats if ya are intending on going to them . but you will knock all the fox ya want out to 40 yards with a 34g 4 and full choke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ketron wrote: »

As far as one can summarise I suppose the following is a good rule of thumb; no cartridges with single solid projectiles ( all types of slug ), no ammo for military and police purposes like taser cartridges, CS cartridges, door breaching cartridges, incendary projectiles etc etc... .

Essentially all target and sporting ammo within your quantity limits is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Its illegal to use 8 gauge on waterfowl too in Rep of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

4200fps wrote: »
    Its illegal to use 8 gauge on waterfowl too in Rep of Ireland

Really? Never seen that law. Where do you get that from?

Cheers for the info lads, my gun is rated for 3.5 magnum was just wondering what loads i could get here. I'll get some tripple bs at the weekend for the laugh! No plans on slugs or CS gas haha, have had my fair share of that haha!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

TriggerPL wrote: »
    please please please ! stop with the american info , ive seen americans use .50 cal on deer , it called over kill you will knock all the duck ya need with 32,34,36 g 4, 5, 6 ,7 . i personally use eley 32g 7 or 6's for all of my game . and firing them heavy loads down your gun all the time is a sure fire way of wrecking it .

id buy a box of magnums for fox beats if ya are intending on going to them . but you will knock all the fox ya want out to 40 yards with a 34g 4 and full choke

This man speaks the truth..most sport/game shotguns are not built for that heavy stuff..36g is as heavy as I ever go, thats in 4 shot for big Mallard in winter. I've shot geese with lads who were putting magnum loads through their semi autos and found they wern't knocking anything I wasn't able to knock with 36g 4, an English guy on the shoot had a ten bore, now he could take them from the clouds, couldnt drink whiskey to save himself though! !! Sorry Im gone off topic here a bit, yeh like TriggerPL says stop Yankin it up, get an Airsoft gun for tin cans, much cheaper and safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As far as one can summarise I suppose the following is a good rule of thumb; no cartridges with single solid projectiles ( all types of slug ), no ammo for military and police purposes like taser cartridges, CS cartridges, door breaching cartridges, incendary projectiles etc etc... .

Essentially all target and sporting ammo within your quantity limits is permitted.

Bar possibly 12 GA distress flares.Which IMVHO should be part of any boat duck hunters or foreshoremans kit. Used to have two of them on my belt years ago until they fell apart[paper hulls] when I did a lot more boat hunting.fortunately never had to use them,but it was a comforting thought in the pre cell phone and SAR days that you had some form of signalling device that could be used with your 12 GA.:cool:

3.5 in magnum ammo,great if you have to bring geese down from the stratosphere! Otherwise worth having a box of it.Had a box of 3in maggies years ago.I used all of five of them in the course of my hunting life.So a box or two should last your entire hunting life.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

have 3.5 and a turkey choke for foxes at times..

Do nothing more then what a 36 5 will do imo

Kick like a mad heor.. 63gr 2's

Advertisement