Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Capture Device

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a budget video capture device to convert some old hi8 and vhs tapes to digital. I dont need anything fancy as there is only 6-7 to be done. Needs to be compatible with windows 7 64bit
    Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Digital 8 camera with firewire is a good way to go. Pop the video 8 tapes in it, capture over firewire. Done. Then for the VHS stuff you can capture using the same camera using S-Video in, or go crazy and get an D-VHS deck. Most but not all D8 cameras will playback Hi8 tapes, I think I have a list somewhere...let me check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

Is there no usb device that will just take in audio and composite / s/video?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Is there no usb device that will just take in audio and composite / s/video?

Of course. Lots. Just have a poke around on Amazon. Depends on what kind of quality you want. My philosophy is to do it right in the best quality you can first time which is why I would advice a D8 camera and a firewire capture. Its not quite as good as a real nice framegrabber>uncompressed setup but its arguably 90% of the quality and 20% of the hassle.
    Sell the camera after you are done and archive the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Depending on the amount of video you want to convert it may be as easy to send it off to a converting crowd. Even if you have a load of tapes I'd use a converting company as you'll have to babysit the software as it converts the tapes real time. It's going to take you hours not taking into account the cost of the hardware you'll need and once you've converted the tapes that hardware will go into a press never to be used again.

Advertisement