Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU report on broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

That calls for
    • excuse #5 'Irish households are larger than in other countries'
    • excuse #6 ' Not enough people are living in apartments'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Never knew that Tim Berners Lee invented the Internet
    Since Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet back in the 1980s, the world's richest and smallest countries have acted fast to anchor what the report calls "the circulation system of the knowledge society" in their infrastructure.

I always thought those guys in DARPA were just playing pong all the time now I'm proved right

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tim Berners-Lee "invented" HTTP i.e. Web Sites. Which can use the Internet or a Net. But so does Gopher, FTP, IMAP, SMTP, POP3, Streaming, SIP, Skype, DNS, Online Gaming, Virtual Private Networking, virtual Serial ports etc etc ... Strictly speaking Tim Berners-Lee didn't actually invent the WWW, the World Wide Web as that is HTTP + Internet.

The WWW / HTTP about 1991. Internet nearly 10 years before. But Tim Berners-Lee didn't invent hypertext, he implemented a hypertext system. I designed a system with Hypertext in 1987 (which didn't use the Internet, or Bitnet/Arpanet as was then). I didn't invent the idea either. Ted Nelson popularised it. Project Xanadu (started 1960!), based on ideas of Vannevar Bush's 1945 proposal.

Unfortunately most of my documents are on CP/M format floppies :)

Competing and with gateways into the TCP/IP systems in the 1980s was X.25. There were various non-TCP/IP "internets" before TCP/IP based Internet escaped from the US Military.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IRELAND now ranks 25th in the world for broadband access, with almost 77pc of the population using the internet in 2011, up from 70pc the previous year.

About 22pc of subscribers use fixed-line broadband while 59pc use mobile broadband, according to new figures.

But while in most of the developed world access to fast internet is rapidly becoming a fact of life like piped water and electricity, many developing countries struggle to attain the vital connective technologies which will make the difference between their people joining the rest of the world or lagging even further behind.

In its new report, The State of Broadband 2012, the Broadband Commission, established by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and Unesco, spells out the momentousness of the revolution we are living through.

Except the Journalists can't read. The report clearly lists Ireland as 33rd!

Also "mobile broadband" is a oxymoron, so only 22% of Ireland has Broadband!

Internet Access is NOT Broadband Access! Broadband usually gives Quality Internet Access.
    Mobile, Satellite, ISDN and Analogue Dialup all can give Internet access. But none are Broadband. Ever.

DSL, Cable, Fibre and Fixed Wireless can all give Broadband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement