Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people close boards accounts?

• 25-09-2012 4:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭

Just clicked on the "AH beers" thread. Noticed KeithM89, who was a mod, has closed his account...

got me thinking. why do people close accounts?
    If you have had enough of this site, why just not visit it anymore? why close down the account? :confused:

For example, over the years i've stopped using websites. wasnt arsed closing the account. Just never went back :pac:

ps,
    keith is gone! woohoo! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

because they can.

I can also go outside and run down the road naked :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I can also go outside and run down the road naked :)

Yet you wont get on a plane....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Haven't you heard of pseudocybercide?

I just made that word up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When boards was a smaller place like in 2005 you'd often have some OP telling everyone they were leaving

Lots of good posters left and then there were others just looking for attention.
    Telling the world they were leaving but they weren't exactly well known anyway

One poster took a break for a few months, probably college exams but kept a countdown in their sig to show how many days until they returned
    And course when they returned they made sure they announced it

That doesn't realy happen anymore, the site is just so huge and there are not many who would be well known across several forums

The "hurray I got 10,000 posts" threads are a thing of the past too.
    Nobody cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

their just to god damn expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yet you wont get on a plane....

Coming from a man named "Agent Smith" making fun of my username ;) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Because of reputation. Maybe Keith (for example) just said "feck it, I'll close the account rather than post as a former mod".
    Others are the same.

They can still come back with new accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Van Fan

I think they would like to step away from the computer right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Because of reputation. Maybe Keith (for example) just said "feck it, I'll close the account rather than post as a former mod".
    Others are the same.

But that allows us to say "back in my day we would have banned his ass for that" or something about Castor Troy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Some times enough is enough with boards it can really suck you in where you nearly spend half your time posting dribble.

In this day and age were are sooo plugged into the "online lifestyle" weather its emails, face book twitter boards pinterest instgram, ps3s xboxs 360 i message viber skype...

`fvck sake do I need to be on boards, people these days get sucked into screens lap top tv phone tablet, its never fookin ending :(

I cant blame any one for wanting a brake from boards or any other site...

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

ps,

no, he's not people do it because closed account looks cooler than banned

keith was banned because another mod took a dislike to his antics, was out of control but he's revised his act and is back as K-9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think people should stay exactly as they are and never change anything about thier lives,the nerve of some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Maybe he just wanted a break from the site for a while. Being a mod must take away a little of the enjoyment of the place.

I'm sure he'll be back eventually under a different name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Snowie wrote: »
    Some times enough is enough with boards it can really suck you in where you nearly spend half your time posting dribble.

In this day and age were are sooo plugged into the "online lifestyle" weather its emails, face book twitter boards pinterest instgram, ps3s xboxs 360 i message viber skype...

`fvck sake do I need to be on boards, people these days get sucked into screens lap top tv phone tablet, its never fookin ending :(

I cant blame any one for wanting a brake from boards or any other site...

No one's forcing you to post though, just leave your account and don't use it. You can still read Boards without an account anyway sure.

Actually going to the trouble of closing your account is a bit dramatic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

ps,

no, he's not people do it because closed account looks cooler than banned

keith was banned because another mod took a dislike to his antics, was out of control but he's revised his act and is back as K-9.

Why? What happened ?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

What happened ?

honestly, I can't besides he's past that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

honestly, I can't besides he's past that now

Keep it to yourself Wee Willy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Why? What happened ?

It's a joke because when Keith and another mod dropped of, they only had whoopsadaisydoodles so they needed another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's a joke because when Keith and another mod dropped of, they only had whoopsadaisydoodles so they needed another one.

They only need Whoopsadaisydoodles. :confused:

I think it's a cry for help, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They close their account and come back as another username. No-one can stay away from Boards for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think if you've been on Boards a while, you essentially can build a reputation or have people presume you to be a certain "type" of person even if you're not. As such, say I had 10,000 posts and consistently posted pisstaking posts in AH and then decided I wanted to start giving advice in Home & Garden or Personal Issues then other posters may just think you're totally taking the piss. Likewise, when you've been on Boards for years, whether you like it or not, people DO get to know how you are be it through Beers or just making various mates from long-term posting and deleting your account and starting afresh is great as you're starting off with a clean slate, reinventing your Boards persona if necessary and allowing yourself to grasp back some anonimity that is important to some posters. We've lost a lot of really good posters in the last year but I reckon they're still there, just under different guises :) I think it's a good reflection on strong people who can decide to disregard a ten year posting history and mammoth post count in order to start afresh....fair play

Merkin wrote: »
    I think if you've been on Boards a while, you essentially can build a reputation or have people presume you to be a certain "type" of person even if you're not. As such, say I had 10,000 posts and consistently posted pisstaking posts in AH and then decided I wanted to start giving advice in Home & Garden or Personal Issues then other posters may just think you're totally taking the piss. Likewise, when you've been on Boards for years, whether you like it or not, people DO get to know how you are be it through Beers or just making various mates from long-term posting and deleting your account and starting afresh is great as you're starting off with a clean slate, reinventing your Boards persona if necessary and allowing yourself to grasp back some anonimity that is important to some posters. We've lost a lot of really good posters in the last year but I reckon they're still there, just under different guises :) I think it's a good reflection on strong people who can decide to disregard a ten year posting history and mammoth post count in order to start afresh....fair play

Ah Keith, welcome back.

:eek:
    If they only had me, the place would be fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Why close an account anyway? It's not like there was a charge for having it. Surely it's enough to just stop posting.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I'm thinking of closing my account tbh... :(

*awaits attention*

Confab wrote: »
    Ah Keith, welcome back.

Cheers love xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

A rl friend of mine closed their account after a bit of cyber bullying. She pretty much stuck to the lady forums i gather and came back after a weekend to find herself locked out of a private girls forum with the mod saying they had heard things about her, and then that she had said things about other users over the weekend. She had been away without internet access(few years ago) but they wouldn't listen to her or discuss it with her,no details whatsoever and then all the other girls cut off contact with her. They used to meet up a fair bit i think. Seemed to really get to her

davet82 wrote: »

Ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've seen a few "toys out of pram" closings. They get a mod warning or something, next minute their gone!

And I can't understand most of these people who close and account and open a new one a week later. Easy way to avoid the €5 name change fee? :confused:

I kinda disagree! I could look back on my very early posts and cringe at many of them, cause I was quite a different person back then! But I don't really care. Closing your account cause you make a fool of yourself at some point is a bit silly. People can be wrong and change opinions and attitudes over time, so shouldn't matter what you've posted in the past really.

davet82 wrote: »

*awaits attention*

Ah now I don't think people have time for those antics. If you're serious about closing your account you do a midnight flit under darkness telling NOT A SINGLE SOUL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Brilliant! :D

Ah now I don't think people have time for those antics. If you're serious about closing your account you do a midnight flit under darkness telling NOT A SINGLE SOUL.

Before you do it you need to avoid posting under the soon to be closed username for a few weeks to avoid your name popping up in thread and people seeing 'account closed'. I did get abuse a while back IRL, just reported it to the powers that be and the Gardai, never heard a peep of insult from that poster again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

wasn't the kinda attention i was chasing but it will do i guess...

*jesus i'm lonely* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Some people feel like they compromise their anonymity on here, especially if they've posted photos of themselves or post regularly in more personal forums like the Ladies' Lounge. Closing their account and opening a new one means they can still post here, but aren't necessarily linked to their old account - as you would be if you just changed your name.

Although, some people will say 'I used to be X', which defeats the purpose of the above reason for closing the account in the first place.

• Advertisement

Closing your account cause you make a fool of yourself at some point is a bit silly. People can be wrong and change opinions and attitudes over time, so shouldn't matter what you've posted in the past really.

I totally agree with this PP so maybe my post wasn't clear enough. I don't know anyone who has been on boards for years who hasn't made a tit of themselves at least a few times so closing an account on that basis would be idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think its pointless. If you dont want to use the site no more dont log on. It seems people who close their account are just people who want to make an "Look at me im leaving" type statement.

At least its not as bad as the goodbye threads which would turn into a massive circlejerk thread where cliques could verbally **** each other off.

Id never close my account even if i was fed up off the site as i might want to log back on here again down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ive considered it a lot over the last while, just havent got much time now to be on. i probably will once the little fella gets bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's attention seeking at some level for sure.

It's the blatant rereg's who continue to post in the exact same manor, on the exact same type of threads that I'll never understand. Why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I go out of my way to make a tit of myself on this site :pac:

Only way I'd ever close my account is if my anonymity was blown..............or died..............even then I'd just come back under a different username...........even when I'm dead.

If I wanted to stop using the forum, I'd just stop posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

got me thinking. why do people close accounts?
    Because if they don't close their accounts after them they'll let all the heat out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Ilyana wrote: »
    Closing their account and opening a new one

Is that not a re-reg? Or is that only if you've been banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I think bad :mad: re-regs are when you are banned & then create another account. Good :) re-regs are closed account in strop, then come back in new alias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Zulu wrote: »
    I think bad :mad: re-regs are when you are banned & then create another account. Good :) re-regs are closed account in strop, then come back in new alias

That explains some of the posters who talk eloquently and with great knowledge about things that happened in Boards in 2005 despite being registered in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Would people close their accounts when they are very near to getting banned so then can reopen a new account and have a clean slate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Imo its attention seeking, maybe not all the time but a fair bit of it. Even if they don't announce it threads asking where so and so is gone eventually pop up.
    I decided to take a bit of a break from boards a while back, didn't announce it or close my account as there was no need to make any kind of a thing out of it. But me being me forgot my password and email and had to rereg. Lol. I personally don't get why ppl feel the need to announce their departure unless its for attention, if ya want to leave and keep in touch with some people ya let them know through pm and give alternate contact details, not start a "i'm leaving, everybody miss me and cry thread".
    P.s. Sorry if that sounds like a rant, it wasn't supposed to lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Thumby wrote: »
    Imo its attention seeking, maybe not all the time but a fair bit of it. Even if they don't announce it threads asking where so and so is gone eventually pop up.
    I decided to take a bit of a break from boards a while back, didn't announce it or close my account as there was no need to make any kind of a thing out of it. But me being me forgot my password and email and had to rereg. Lol. I personally don't get why ppl feel the need to announce their departure unless its for attention, if ya want to leave and keep in touch with some people ya let them know through pm and give alternate contact details, not start a "i'm leaving, everybody miss me and cry thread".
    P.s. Sorry if that sounds like a rant, it wasn't supposed to lol.

I think its unfair to judge someone as an attenion seeker, if you dont know that him/her personly. you dont know what he/she is going through in there life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It could be just so people don't waste time trying to PM an inactive account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I think its unfair to judge someone as an attenion seeker, if you dont know that him/her personly. you dont know what he/she is going through in there life.

I agree, but there are many new regs these days whose first post is "I'm baaaaaaack, did you miss meeeeee"

I can think of a few good reasons people would close an account for sure, I just feel the majority of closed accounts don't appear to be for good reasons.

As for people closing their account as opposed to just stopping posting, that's damn hard to do!! Boards is addictive!

I can think of a few good reasons people would close an account for sure, I just feel the majority of closed accounts don't appear to be for good reasons.

But noone even notices the vast majority of closed accounts. They only notice when a poster they know does it - or when they come back telling you they've done it.

Like anything in life, people are different, they have different reasons. Some do it for attention, some do it because they're getting too much attention, some do it as a knee jerk reaction, some think about it for a long time. There is no one answer to the OP's question.

One thing is for sure, it's impossible to know why someone has closed their account unless they come back and tell you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement