Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people close boards accounts?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

@ feedback:
    thats just the thing though, isn't it? Gone, or reregged?

I dunno. Used to be nice that'd you'd recognise people & build up a rapport. Now you're dealing with some stranger, who after a while you're thinking, "hang on, isn't this USER_I_USED_TO_KNOW". It undermines the concept of a "community" if you ask me.

Madam_X wrote: »
    ...for instance there are Boards relationships - a break-up seems a very logical reason to close an account
    Humm I hadn't considered this. Food for thought, indeed.
    A re-reg can't defend themselves when digs are being made about their previous incarnation in fairness.
    True, but the re-reg can (and often does) defend the alias.
    Personally I think it's pretty poor attacking a closed account - I'll grant you that. However, some closed accounts brought it on themselves. You reap what you sow, and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Zulu wrote: »
    However, some closed accounts brought it on themselves. You reap what you sow, and all that.

Maybe but at the end of the day you're just getting into a bitching circle. At least if the account is still active (and the person signs in regularly), they have a chance to defend themselves. With attacking a closed account it's just cowardice really

Maybe but at the end of the day you're just getting into a bitching circle. At least if the account is still active (and the person signs in regularly), they have a chance to defend themselves. With attacking a closed account it's just cowardice really
    I agree somewhat, but I'm not sure it's any more cowardice than posting - I'd be confident the people who attack a closed account, who happily attack a live account. It's not like they wait for the account to close, and then have a dig!

Also, why would you care? I mean, you didn't care enough to maintain the account, so why monitor & concern yourself about what is being said about it? Indeed, why not use the opportunity to examine yourself from a distance?

As i said, my main issue is that it undermines the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Zulu wrote: »
    I agree somewhat, but I'm not sure it's any more cowardice than posting - I'd be confident the people who attack a closed account, who happily attack a live account. It's not like they wait for the account to close, and then have a dig!

Also, why would you care? I mean, you didn't care enough to maintain the account, so why monitor & concern yourself about what is being said about it? Indeed, why not use the opportunity to examine yourself from a distance?

As i said, my main issue is that it undermines the community.

You'd be surprised. And I don't just mean on this site either.
    One of the reasons people do it when they close it/get banned is because they can get away with more. One site that I go on basically gives the rule as "don't insult members" and don't consider closed/banned accounts to be members.
    So if you closed yours on that site, I could call you every name under the sun and it's fine.

Still I think the mods here give bit more leeway in regards to bitching about closed accounts (neither good nor bad I suppose).

Even one muck up can ruin your experience. I'd say it's mostly that people close it out of reactions of others. Like if I hated you and would try to wind you up and get argumentative every time I see you; you could close it out of being trolled. Although in fairness, I will say the mods here generally are decent about shutting down on things like that. Most other sites aren't.

Like if I hated you and would try to wind you up and get argumentative every time I see you; you could close it out of being trolled.
    Well I'd be more inclined to "ignore" you. But I take your point, even if I don't agree with it as a solution to the problem.

Advertisement