Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you comfortable saying you're proud of yourself?

• 25-09-2012 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

During the course of this year I've changed my attitude and life and secretly I feel very proud of myself.

But why does it have to be a secret?
    I do feel there's some shame in admitting it and I don't think it's something other people would be too pleased to hear.

Is this an Irish guilt/begrudgery thing? Do we all have a problem saying we're happy or worse yet happy for someone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

During the course of this year I've changed my attitude and life and secretly I feel very proud of myself.

I do feel there's some shame in admitting it and I don't think it's something other people wouldn't be too pleased to hear.

Is this an Irish guilt/begrudgery thing? Do we all have a problem saying we're happy or worse yet happy for someone else?
    Because if you openly admit that you're jinxing yourself & then it will be too good enough for ya.
    Now get down to the church to say ten hail Mary's, five our fathers & whatever you don't step on any cracked footpaths, you know that plays havoc with granny's back.
    And wave to mr magpie. You don't want him turning against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I do feel there's some shame in admitting it and I don't think it's something other people would be too pleased to hear.

There is a fine line between pride and vanity and often the difference between the two is the compulsion to tell other people of your achievements.

Having pride in yourself is a good thing but why would you feel the need to tell others of this pride?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

Doc wrote: »
    There is a fine line between pride and vanity and often the difference between the two is the compulsion to tell other people of your achievements.

Having pride in yourself is a good thing but why would you feel the need to tell others of this pride?

Well that's a whole other kettle of fish to do with never feeling good enough and now feeling like I have something to prove, but I think that's best saved for a therapist!

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I am comfortable in saying that I'm proud of my beliefs...

guess whose personal acheivements have not been up to par of late. I'm aiming for 3"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I think you really have to strike a balance between modesty, honesty and vanity. There is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and even saying it to people who know what you have gone through that you're really proud of what you have accomplished this year but you do have to be careful as not everyone has had a great year and if they are having a hard time things like that can sound boastful and vain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

nope I'm not bothered but i tell me kids I'm proud of them every chance i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I am proud of myself, I do not openly admit it as I am criticized for living beyond my years, its the most annoying critique I have received, it also goes hand in hand with snob, money flaunt, thinking your better than everyone else, look down on people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

So you've basicly come out of the closet? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

No. Pride is a deadly sin! I'd rather you were a fat bastard than be proud of yourself.

Off to hell with ya :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am comfortable in saying that I'm proud of my beliefs...

guess whose personal acheivements have not been up to par of late. I'm aiming for 3"

You can get a pump for that apparently ;)

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I'm proud of what my penis has achieved ... that's all that really matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I'm proud of what my penis has achieved ... that's all that really matters

I think your name, what's written underneath it and your quote qualifies as out and out 'vanity' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

yes i'm proud of myself and what i've achieved,judging by how people i've grown up with turned out things could have gone alot different for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm very proud of how I turned my life around in very difficult circumstances with the odds against me. I don't boast about it, I know in some ways it was just luck really but whenever I doubt myself I think back to what I have achieved and I do mentally pat myself on the back. Its the only thing that keeps me going sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm proud of some of myself and not proud of some of myself. I ain't perfect you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Feeona wrote: »
    I think your name, what's written underneath it and your quote qualifies as out and out 'vanity' :p

You got all that from my profile alone !!! My god do you work for the CIA or the FBI perhaps ? maybe Interpol ? How's the search coming for that young 15 year old and her supposed 30 year old captor/lover/pedophile teacher ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

You got all that from my profile alone !!! My god do you work for the CIA or the FBI perhaps ? maybe Interpol ? How's the search coming for that young 15 year old and her supposed 30 year old captor/lover/pedophile teacher ?

Aaaannnd I've gotten a little more information from this :eek:

As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

if you are proud of what you have achieved, then there is no reason at all why you should have a problem telling people that you are proud of what you have done. As long as you say it genuinely.

I think the problem comes in, if you say it judgmentally and smugly, as if you are better than someone else.

Once it is genuine, you should not be afraid to say it - you might inspire others to change things in their life also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm very proud of a lot of great things I have achieved, but sometimes if I talk about them I feel other people view it as bragging, and they begrudge it a little!

But I'm super great in many ways and proud of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I was proud of anything I've done I'd be keeping it to myself. If I'm proud of it then that's enough for me to know, I don't need to tell others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement