Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio De Janeiro - Carnival 2013

• 25-09-2012 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'll be backpacking around SA around February next year and I'll be in Brazil for Carnival, specifically Rio. I'm just looking through accommodation options now and the prices are crazy.

I'm thinking of going to Rio a few days before Carnival whilst prices are cheaper and then staying for maybe 2 of the 4 days of the festival.

For anyone whose done Carnival before:

- Should we stay for the 4 days? Is it worth an extra $200 when you're on a tight backpacker budget?

- Is it worth buying tickets for the Sambadrome?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭demon83

Carnival is a great week but its very expensive I was there this year. I went to the Sambadrome it was good but not sure it was worth the money. It goes on from 8pm at night til 8am and is basically just a big parade, I was bored after the first 2 hours. The best bit of Carnival is the Blocos. The Bloco's are basically big street parties held at all hours all around the city during Carnival. They shut down the street bring in big trucks with sound systems and everyone just parties on the street. I would defo go back to Rio for Carnival but wouldnt bother with the Sambodrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I was in Brazil for Carnival and like you thought it was all very expensive so decided to skip Rio and ended up stuck in a tiny town near the Urguyan border with all transport stopped for about a week. I'll always regret not spending the extra money and going to one of the blocos in Rio or maybe up to Salvador.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭starringme

I agree about the Sambodrome - Carnival is sold as this crazy festival through the streets (involving you) but we paid ridiculous money, extra because we were told they were better seats, to sit and watch the dancers go by for hours. We sat on a concrete block just like everyone else so not sure what the money was for. Total lead balloon.

Advertisement