Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anybody else getting excited about Arthur's Day?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

kylith wrote: »
    A wan in work's been asking everyone 'What did you get up to for Arthur's Day?" like it's a genuine holiday rather than a marketing gimmick. My reply of 'nothing' seemed to phase her a bit...

That happened to me yesterday in work. Well, I did elaborate a bit.

Her: So, are you going out for Arthur's Day?
    Me: No, I don't drink Guinness and it's just a marketing event for Diageo.
    Her: *stares at me with her mouth open*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Everyone saying to arthur aswell on facebook, so stupid. Pics of guinness being posted too. Very stupid. Why are people stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Had an absolutely epic Arthur's Day myself, and the fact that Boardsies don't seem to generally approve of it simply copperfastens my belief in the whole event ;)

TO AAAATHAAAAA!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

keith16 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have quoted your post.

But didn't you say something to the effect of "I'm not affected / don't care about the marketing"?

Apologies if I mis-read / remembered, didn't intentionally do it.

My general point is, people will say "yeah, it's good marketing, but that's not the point" while at the same time, will simultaneously shout out "TO MARTHA" at exactly 17.59 and knock back their pint of guinness....JUST LIKE IN THE AD!!

Thats fair enough if you mis-read it! You can check back through my posts in this thread and see that I didnt say anything about not being affected by Marketing. Maybe you picked me up wrong on something I wrote? I've been full of praise for the marketing team behind the idea of Arthur's Day.

And whats wrong with people saying "Martha" or raising a pint at 17:59? Its just a bit of fun. Marketing works. In every part of our lives. The food we eat. The drinks we have. The music we listen to. The TV shows we watch. I don't know a single person (and I be shocked if anyone else here was any different) that can live their life without in any way being influenced by marketing/advertising.

Thats fair enough if you mis-read it! You can check back through my posts in this thread and see that I didnt say anything about not being affected by Marketing. Maybe you picked me up wrong on something I wrote? I've been full of praise for the marketing team behind the idea of Arthur's Day.

And whats wrong with people saying "Martha" or raising a pint at 17:59? Its just a bit of fun. Marketing works. In every part of our lives. The food we eat. The drinks we have. The music we listen to. The TV shows we watch. I don't know a single person (and I be shocked if anyone else here was any different) that can live their life without in any way being influenced by marketing/advertising.

The To Martha thing isn't funny at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Prick! wrote: »
    I'm sure the A&E services are more busy.
    Probably as busy as Paddys day, halloween etc etc etc
    kylith wrote: »
    What positives? The only positive is in Guinness' pocket. You don't enjoy yourself any more than you would on any other night out, and the damage to your wallet and liver are hardly bonuses.

Jaysus, i went out and had a grand auld time. Went to 2 amazing gigs and had a good few drinks and enjoyed myself immensely. Don't worry, I'd be damaging my liver as much of a normal thursday night , but the addition of mumford and sons made my liver enjoy it that much more.

The To Martha thing isn't funny at all.

Yeah, "To farmers / To BARBERS!!!" is the funny one :D

Dustaz wrote: »
    Probably as busy as Paddys day, halloween etc etc etc

Jaysus, i went out and had a grand auld time. Went to 2 amazing gigs and had a good few drinks and enjoyed myself immensely. Don't worry, I'd be damaging my liver as much of a normal thursday night , but the addition of mumford and sons made my liver enjoy it that much more.

Yeah exactly, why is there a need for another day of that ****?

Yeah exactly, why is there a need for another day of that ****?

Why not? Just because you personally don't enjoy it?
    I'm happy to say that we don't (yet) live in a society in which our freedom is constrained by the approval of our peers, or lack thereof.
    Although we certainly seem to be moving in that extremely disturbing direction...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

fairly disgusting day in my opinion.

People getting pissed for no reason other than a silly marketing campaign.

Can only begin to wonder how much the country has suffered today as a result of hangovers/sickies/cost to the health care system.

anyone who fell for guinness' marketing ploy needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

• Advertisement

Why not? Just because you personally don't enjoy it?
    I'm happy to say that we don't (yet) live in a society in which our freedom is constrained by the approval of our peers, or lack thereof.
    Although we certainly seem to be moving in that extremely disturbing direction...

You blind to the fact there's a shockingly bad alcohol abuse situation in this country. There's a reliance on it. People can't go out without drink, it shows a lack of character.

I've done a quick search of this thread and I was the only person who signed off their post with "To Martha" so I presume you are referring to me.

Please don't be making up lies just to make your point. I have been quite vocal in this thread about how brilliant the marketing of Arthur's Day is. I also said I was going out because its always a good night, most of my mates will be out, there is gigs on around the city, money is raised for charities.

Everyone knows Arthur's day is intended to promote a product. So what if it is? The positives of it far outweigh the negatives.

idiotic opinion for anyone to hold.

You blind to the fact there's a shockingly bad alcohol abuse situation in this country. There's some reliance on it. Some can't go out without drink, it shows a lack of character.

I am not one of those people, and neither are my friends. Why should we miss a chance to have a festival atmosphere in town just because we share an island with some eejits?

I went to Herbert Park for an outdoor jam yesterday, I went on the Baggot Mile Pub Crawl, I went to D2 for a friend's birthday party and finally we had an afterparty in one of their gaffs last night. None of us ended up on an A&E trolley and none of us got involved in any fights.

We had an absolutely epic night. There's no excuse for raining on our parade just because there happen to be other people out there who have no common sense. Deal with those cases specifically instead of applying the same criteria to everyone and depriving everyone of a festival.

Ireland may have serious alcohol problems, but it also has a serious problem when it comes to blanket "solutions" to problems, usually meaning "ban it". Deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone FFS!

I think its time for another Guinness or two for the cure on the way home :D.

I am not one of those people, and neither are my friends. Why should we miss a chance to have a festival atmosphere in town just because we share an island with some eejits?

I went to Herbert Park for an outdoor jam yesterday, I went on the Baggot Mile Pub Crawl, I went to D2 for a friend's birthday party and finally we had an afterparty in one of their gaffs last night. None of us ended up on an A&E trolley and none of us got involved in any fights.

We had an absolutely epic night. There's no excuse for raining on our parade just because there happen to be other people out there who have no common sense. Deal with those cases specifically instead of applying the same criteria to everyone and depriving everyone of a festival.

Ireland may have serious alcohol problems, but it also has a serious problem when it comes to blanket "solutions" to problems, usually meaning "ban it". Deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone FFS!

So you don't mind promoting drinking when there is a serious problem in this country?

I'm sure there's more free gigs in your locality for other occasions in the year when they aren't promoting alcohol. :rolleyes:

idiotic opinion for anyone to hold.

Calling someone's opinion idiotic and then failing to even attempt to counter it.
    AH, ladies and gentlemen... :rolleyes:

Calling someone's opinion idiotic and then failing to even attempt to counter it.

They're right. Very idiotic. Rather easy to see why.

What are the positives eh?

Negatives: More people in A&E, bigger drinking culture in Ireland. Just 2 negatives.

Try and outweigh them eh?

what is there to counter?
    the country is crippled by a gargantuan drinking problem. the health effects of which haven't even started to appear. fifteen, twenty years from now we will start to see the ramifications of this alcohol abuse. open your eyes mate. you're so drugged up you don't even think there's a problem. that's the exact problem, everyone thinking this culture is normal. it's not. it's completely unheard of anywhere else in the world.

So you don't mind promoting drinking when there is a serious problem in this country?

I'm sure there's more free gigs in your locality for other occasions in the year when they aren't promoting alcohol. :rolleyes:

As I said, deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone. I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. There's no justification for censoring them and no justification for attempting to ban the festival, which is seems our delightlful politicians are trying to do.

Live and let live. I harmed absolutely nobody with my behavior last night, ergo I did no wrong. Same can be said for the (massive) crowd of people I was out with.

EDIT: The fact that the people I'm arguing against here are called "Supapackofidiots" and "Prick" is highly amusing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

fairly disgusting day in my opinion.

People getting pissed for no reason other than a silly marketing campaign.

Can only begin to wonder how much the country has suffered today as a result of hangovers/sickies/cost to the health care system.

anyone who fell for guinness' marketing ploy needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Could you try and be a bit more dramatic?

As I said, deal with the troublemakers and leave the rest of us alone. I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. There's no justification for censoring them and no justification for attempting to ban the festival, which is seems our delightlful politicians are trying to do.

Live and let live. I harmed absolutely nobody with my behavior last night, ergo I did no wrong. Same can be said for the (massive) crowd of people I was out with.

EDIT: The fact that the people I'm arguing against here are called "Supapackofidiots" and "Prick" is highly amusing. ;)

Likewise, you can't spell hat trick.

You're failing to grasp it at all lad. Too many pints have depleted your brain cells I'm thinking.

what is there to counter?
    the country is crippled by a gargantuan drinking problem. the health effects of which haven't even started to appear. fifteen, twenty years from now we will start to see the ramifications of this alcohol abuse. open your eyes mate. you're so drugged up you don't even think there's a problem. that's the exact problem, everyone thinking this culture is normal. it's not. it's completely unheard of anywhere else in the world.

Eh just so you know, I had maybe 5 or 6 beers last night, and when I say last night I'm talking about a time frame stretching from 4PM in the afternoon until 6AM this morning. 2 of those beers were light bottled beers and the rest were Guinness. Most nights out I actually don't drink at all, I don't really enjoy the feeling of being locked.
    Calling me "drugged up" is an extremely wild stretch of the imagination, my friend, and highly incendiary (intentionally, I have no doubt).

I never denied that we have a drinking problem in the country, I simply denied that myself and other responsible drinkers should have to suffer because of the wrongdoing of others. Target the troublemakers and leave innocent bystanders alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Had a great night in Limerick, every pub packed out the door and everyone in great form. Reminded me of the good auld days.. Le Galaxie rocked Bourkes!

They're right. Very idiotic. Rather easy to see why.

What are the positives eh?

Negatives: More people in A&E, bigger drinking culture in Ireland. Just 2 negatives.

Try and outweigh them eh?

Alright, to name a few:
    Celebratory atmosphere in the city instead of the usual gloom we've become accustomed to.
    Tons of live acts, many of which are incredible to watch.
    Terrific boost to the local economy.
    Lifts the dreariness of back to school/college/work September. Festivals are great for curing such blues.

That's 4 positives to your 2 negatives. Your move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Was told in work there that temple bar was nothin but fights
    Anyone I there see any
    I wasnt in temple bar was in dandelions and didn't see one fight was actually quiet enough

• Advertisement

Eh just so you know, I had maybe 5 or 6 beers last night, and when I say last night I'm talking about a time frame stretching from 4PM in the afternoon until 6AM this morning. 2 of those beers were light bottled beers and the rest were Guinness. Most nights out I actually don't drink at all, I don't really enjoy the feeling of being locked.
    Calling me "drugged up" is an extremely wild stretch of the imagination, my friend, and highly incendiary (intentionally, I have no doubt).

I never denied that we have a drinking problem in the country, I simply denied that myself and other responsible drinkers should have to suffer because of the wrongdoing of others. Target the troublemakers and leave innocent bystanders alone.

step away from the bar stool mate. just take a few short steps back and head into the jacks and take a look at yourself in the mirror. those pupils are so dilated and the eyes blood shot you are probably having difficulty seeing. head home and sleep it off. the liquor is poisoning your mind and train of thought. never realised AH was full of dipsos.

Alright, to name a few:
    Celebratory atmosphere in the city instead of the usual gloom we've become accustomed to.
    Tons of live acts, many of which are incredible to watch.
    Terrific boost to the local economy.
    Lifts the dreariness of back to school/college/work September. Festivals are great for curing such blues.

That's 4 positives to your 2 negatives. Your move...

Ha, knew you'd come out with the "I have more positives than you".

My negatives cost money, and health. Yours deal with emotions.

The pubs who get business from this day are city pubs, ones who are raking it in anyways. rural pubs will see next to nothing. And anyways, if someone went out yesterday chances are it's using a weekend night to go out.

Was told in work there that temple bar was nothin but fights
    Anyone I there see any
    I wasnt in temple bar was in dandelions and didn't see one fight was actually quiet enough

Walked through it at one point and saw absolutely nothing. To be honest, Temple Bar has that reputation even on a normal night out, I've never witnessed a single fight there so either the reports are hyped up or I'm exceedingly lucky, which I'm sorry to tell you I'm not ;)

Ha, knew you'd come out with the "I have more positives than you".

You asked me to try and outweigh them, so I did.
    My negatives cost money, and health. Yours deal with emotions.

One of mine dealt with the economy, and the part about the happy atmosphere isn't merely about emotion, depression is becoming another very serious issue in the bleak times we live in. An uplifting festival every now and then certainly improves that, at least for me. Can't speak for anyone else.
    The pubs who get business from this day are city pubs, ones who are raking it in anyways. rural pubs will see next to nothing.

Raking it in? With the number of closures of pubs and nightclubs in Dublin City Centre over the last few years I fear you're sorely mistaken. The economy of the country is obviously boosted as a whole as well.
    And anyways, if someone went out yesterday chances are it's using a weekend night to go out.

Don't actually understand what you mean, please clarify? You mean people who went out last night would have gone out tonight and now won't? Again I can only speak for myself, but I'm heading out again tonight and tomorrow, was always planning to.

it's completely unheard of anywhere else in the world.

This is a complete and utter fallacy, I really don't understand where people get the idea that its only in Ireland that is normal to go out and get drunk. Its common in almost every country, even countries that prohibit it have a big underground drinking culture. Not to mind the obvious ones like eastern European countries, Nordic countries, the UK, the US etc.

• Advertisement

step away from the bar stool mate. just take a few short steps back and head into the jacks and take a look at yourself in the mirror. those pupils are so dilated and the eyes blood shot you are probably having difficulty seeing. head home and sleep it off. the liquor is poisoning your mind and train of thought. never realised AH was full of dipsos.

Took me this long to realise you were trolling, well done sir ;)

You asked me to try and outweigh them, so I did.

One of mine dealt with the economy, and the part about the happy atmosphere isn't merely about emotion, depression is becoming another very serious issue in the bleak times we live in. An uplifting festival every now and then certainly improves that, at least for me. Can't speak for anyone else.

Raking it in? With the number of closures of pubs and nightclubs in Dublin City Centre over the last few years I fear you're sorely mistaken. The economy of the country is obviously boosted as a whole as well.

Don't actually understand what you mean, please clarify? You mean people who went out last night would have gone out tonight and now won't? Again I can only speak for myself, but I'm heading out again tonight and tomorrow, was always planning to.

Yeah because depression is cured by going out on the lash :rolleyes:

Yeah because depression is cured by going out on the lash :rolleyes:

Implying getting drunk is all there is to the night, despite the fact that I have repeatedly stated that I didn't drink nearly enough to get drunk (I hardly think 5-6 beers over the course of a 12 hour session qualifies as binge drinking by anyone's imagination)

No response to my points about the economic benefits either, may I regard your silence as an acceptance of defeat? ;)

Implying getting drunk is all there is to the night, despite the fact that I have repeatedly stated that I didn't drink nearly enough to get drunk (I hardly think 5-6 beers over the course of a 12 hour session qualifies as binge drinking by anyone's imagination)

No response to my points about the economic benefits either, may I regard your silence as an acceptance of defeat? ;)

You celebrated a brand of alcohol. It's like celebrating cancer.

Directly equating alcohol with cancer is not only preposterous, but deeply offensive to victims of cancer and their families.

An equivalent analogy would be equating soccer with terrorism just because some football fans are violent hooligans who start riots.

You sound like great craic.

You sound like great craic.

He sounds like a future leader of Ireland.

Think back over recent leaders we've had and figure out whether this is a compliment or not ;)

Directly equating alcohol with cancer is not only preposterous, but deeply offensive to victims of cancer and their families.

An equivalent analogy would be equating soccer with terrorism just because some football fans are violent hooligans who start riots.

Alcohol is the biggest drug in Ireland mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

One of the worst nights of my life.

Got into town at around 11.30, went to three clubs, all said their doors were closed due to overcrowding.

Arrived at a fourth club, queue was a mile long. Took about 40 minutes to get in, paid a tenner, straight to the ladies to be greeted by another insane queue which took about 15 minutes! Wasn't even bothered to queue for a drink, so we all left.

Note to self: Arthur's Day is shoite..

Alcohol is the biggest drug in Ireland mate.

And that makes it equivalent to cancer how exactly...?

• Advertisement

And that makes it equivalent to cancer how exactly...?

A serious amount of people are affected by it....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Only reason i remembered Arthurs day was a bunch of drunk lads from their balcony overlooking the street were yelling 'To Arthur!' at every passing car and person.

With guinness in hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Only reason i remembered Arthurs day was a bunch of drunk lads from their balcony overlooking the street were yelling 'To Arthur!' at every passing car and person.

They sound hilarious! Cause they were saying the thing off the telly that the advertisements told them to say.

You should have gone up to join them. You would undoubtedly have had the night of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They sound hilarious! Cause they were saying the thing off the telly that the advertisements told them to say.

You should have gone up to join them. You would undoubtedly have had the night of your life.

As well as that, they were keeping a count of how many people responded to them walking or driving past. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

AnonoBoy wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Did they actually do free pints around the place on thursday at all? A buddy was fierce disappointed not to get any...

Cork city was fairly mental. The flair on grand parade was mighty craic!

Did they actually do free pints around the place on thursday at all? A buddy was fierce disappointed not to get any...

Cork city was fairly mental. The flair on grand parade was mighty craic!

Some places were anyway, I got two and some free food also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

MrCreosote wrote: »
    No? Anyone??

Thought not.
    It's just like ad-breaks on the telly on a larger scale, organised for those gob-****es who watch telly only for the ads.Cultural day? My arse! A piss-up disguised as an ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As well as that, they were keeping a count of how many people responded to them walking or driving past. :D

Market research? Ingenious f*ckers!

• Advertisement

A serious amount of people are affected by it....?

This is ridiculous. Cancer has no benefits whatsoever. Alcohol can be beneficial to a good night if you drink an appropriate amount of it.

To compare something which is only bad when it's abused, to something which is bad in any and all circumstances, is moronic.

Advertisement