Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC €900

Options
  • 25-09-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Finally buying on Friday.

Heres what I had come up with in my previous thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80859743&postcount=9

Just wanted to make sure I had everything and wasnt missing out, all help is appreciated, if you can make it better for the budget then feel free to suggest.

1. What is your budget? €900

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, BF3, Skyrim, Football Manager, A few Simulator's, maybe Microsoft Flight

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No, will use my 44" 1080p Full HD LG T.V. for the time being, will source a good monitor at a later date when the funds are in place.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? W/Lan card.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Ya, why not.

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Friday

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good news, getting paid a day earlier so want to order this tomorrow.

Anybody free and willing to do up spec for me?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Your build looks good. Just a few things:

- Don't forget a copy of Windows.
    - If you plan on overclocking you should get an aftermarket cooler.
    - You'll need an extra sata cable (mobo comes with 2, you need 3)
    - You'll need a standard kettle lead for the power, you can get these anywhere.

Your build looks good. Just a few things:

- Don't forget a copy of Windows.
    - If you plan on overclocking you should get an aftermarket cooler.
    - You'll need an extra sata cable (mobo comes with 2, you need 3)
    - You'll need a standard kettle lead for the power, you can get these anywhere.

Thanks.

I plan on overclocking but at this moment I'd be happy with the setup. I can add an after market cooler later I guess.

Quick question regarding the SATA cable, do I need a 3rd one as you suggested an after market cooler or is there another reason for this?

I must have about 5 or so kettle leads from Amplifiers and various other musical equipment so should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Quick question regarding the SATA cable, do I need a 3rd one as you suggested an after market cooler or is there another reason for this?

You need a sata cable for the hdd, the ssd and the cd-drive. They're usually not supplied with the devices but sometimes you can be lucky. The mobo comes with two sata 3.0 cables. You'll need another, sata 2.0 will do fine as only the ssd will use the full bandwidth of sata 3.0.

You need a sata cable for the hdd, the ssd and the cd-drive. They're usually not supplied with the devices but sometimes you can be lucky. The mobo comes with two sata 3.0 cables. You'll need another, sata 2.0 will do fine as only the ssd will use the full bandwidth of sata 3.0.

Perfect, would have saved me the head scratching when it came supplied with only 2 cables. :pac:

Thanks.

• Advertisement

No copies of Windows fron those sites, best bet is to get the English version with my build I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Unfortunately, student copies of Windows have dried up. The cheapest to get is the German ones from hardwareversand and download an English disc. Then use the German key that you bought.

Perfect. Looking forward to ordering it now. Thanks.

I'll be back with questions if I hit a glitch :pac:

If you haven't ordered yet, I'd go with the WD blue instead because of the longer warranty.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7200+U+min/62133/WD+Caviar+Blue+1TB+6Gb's.article

Done added the WD, costing about €890 before shipping charges.

• Advertisement

Anybody any suggestions for a processor cooler and will the 550W be enough?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anybody any suggestions for a processor cooler and will the 550W be enough?

550W will probably be fine. I wouldn't say there would be a lot of room for future upgrading and overclocking though.

I've read this cooler is decent enough: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/49255/ARCTIC+COOLING+Freezer+13+Pro(Sockel+775+1155+1156+1366+754+939+AM2+AM2+%2B+AM3+AM3%2B+FM1).article

550W is loads. 450W would cover CPU overclocking a bit of GPU overclocking.
    The 7870s are fairly frugal with power.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html

An overclocked system excluding graphics card should be a fair amount below 200W.

Thanks, hoping to order sometime tomorrow. :)

Advertisement