Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lionel Richie Attacked!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Blisterman wrote: »
    I'm not saying that damaging things and vandalism don't happen elsewhere. They do, but generally the reaction is "This is a discgrace, the person who did it should get in trouble", not "As sure what did he expect, leaving public art in public?"

Boardsies are a bit more realistic, pragmatic and logical than that.

I think you'd get that reaction if it were something that the vandal had gone out of their way to destroy. Like maybe cutting a limb off a statue, spray painting some major installation on a plinth or whatever.

Putting something in a phone box without making it robust enough to withstand basic vandalism is asking for trouble. There's a reason why the phone in the box is built to withstand the average scumbag assault.

It's out of public view, in a closed box where someone can go and tamper with it undisturbed!

Even the instructions for the pay-phone are behind a piece of perspex to prevent vandalism!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

That's what you get for not asking Eircom's permission. Their tachs left the head as a warning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You leave something in a Dublin street and expect it to be intact/still there when you get back?

I'm sorry, but I wouln't leave my bike unattended (even when locked!) for 5 mins there.

Wishful thinking as it would be "gone in 60 seconds".:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Solair wrote: »
    Boardsies are a bit more realistic, pragmatic and logical than that.

I would say cynical.

By taking this attitude, the scumbag vandals have won. Result: No public art gets commissioned, everything is locked up, a paranoid atmosphere prevails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

kneemos wrote: »
    If everyone expects things to be damaged it's acceptable when they are.

The artist himself expected it to get damaged. The reaction from people here is the attitude that this proves that 'Dublin' doesn't get art (hmm) and that it proves that the majority of people in Dublin are scumbags. It was an act by one or two people which, bad as it is, does not justify his comments (which he himself seems to have rolled back on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Odd People wrote:
    How dare someone attempt to create something nice and then be p*ssed off when it gets wrecked?

HOW F*CKING DARE HE!!!!!!??????

Jaysus Christ. The guy made something decent and it got wrecked. He's allowed vent a bit.

The reaction in this thread it almost seems like people are glad it got destroyed.

This is why we can't have nice things (as the overused expression goes)

This just in...... (from Facebook)

Lionel Ritchie has been recovered and will be back on the streets soon.

There's a report about it on the news this evening on RTE apparently.

Can't wait for the "shure that's not news - what's my tv licence paying for them to report on that for?" posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Jaysus Christ. The guy made something decent and it got wrecked. He's allowed vent a bit.

The reaction in this thread it almost seems like people are glad it got destroyed.

This is why we can't have nice things (as the overused expression goes)
    I think you'll find two people were and most people weren't.

humanji wrote: »
    I think you'll find two people were and most people weren't.

Yeah, they're the people what I were talkin' about innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, they're the people what I were talkin' about innit?
    Yeah, so there's no "almost" about it. :P

Aw. He found it. Must have been destiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

RTE plagiarised my pun. Woe is me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Why didn't he just paint it on the back wall of the kiosk instead of having something that can be broken or torn away. (not that I condone such scummy behaviour.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I wonder how you'd all feel if something you made or did, be it painting your house, installing new window wipers, a public sculpture or whatever got destroyed. Sure, vandalism happens, right? Don't bother complaining when some one kicks the wing mirror off your car.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

The creator fully expected it to be vandalized but you're right; about the savaging of culture and cheapening of life which I pit down ironically to the ushering in/wholesale embracing of a pop culture; two decades ago so that they attacked an american black man surprises me.

• Advertisement

BASHIR wrote: »
    Why didn't he just paint it on the back wall of the kiosk instead of having something that can be broken or torn away. (not that I condone such scummy behaviour.)

I presume he built it so it could be removed later without necessitating the repainting of the phone box.

Hello? Is it meee yore looking for I can seeitinyoureyes, a baying mob of savage guys.. yore all I ever avoideeeeed in this booth I tried to hide...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

conorhal wrote: »
    Why don't you save you ire for the scummers that vandalised the installation instead?

I find your attitude depressing, with it's nihilistic expectation that such an action was inevitable. It's the poxy twin of the nihilistic attitude of gobsheens that feel entitled to destroy things 'for the craic'.

I'm reminded of the 'art cows' that were installed on the streets of Dublin a few years ago, they travelled the world, but guess which was the only city where they were vandalised, beheaded, and eventually had to be moved into shopping centres and security hired to protect them?
    [COLOR=black]So no, it doesn't happen everywhere.[/COLOR]

This, as they say, is why we can't have nice things.

no. you are wrong , it does happen EVERYWHERE
    stop being melodramatic about it - yes its a pity it was destroyed , but all his other work was not touched - so to say only ****ty Dublin rable rable is just not true

dick heads are all over Ireland not just Dublin - and in fairness what goes on in every market town in Ireland on a Friday or Saturday night would make a dub blush

so you are telling me if it was in tuam or carlow it would not have been touched ?? cop on

i thought the mods closed these anti dub vomit threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Where To wrote: »
    RTE plagiarised my pun. Woe is me.

Careful now, you could end up writing jokes for tubbs.

Why the fuss we are determined to be savage ogres that insist on wiping anything that appears sculpted, carefully crafted. Take a cat's good bone structure n elegance, for instance

however this could have happened downtown Madrid.. Amusing/silly instillations befall such a fate.

• Advertisement

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i thought the mods closed these anti dub vomit threads

It's not really anti-Dub thread. And the guy himself has rolled back on his original venting (which was totally understandable given what had happened).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The artist should probably try and look at the positive of the experience. Bar the negative experience of his installation getting wrecked, he eventually 'found' it and he got an incredibly amount of exposure that he would never have received previously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Where To wrote: »
    Some of the puns are terrible folks. I've been working All Night Long but can do better

It's not that easy (like sunday morning) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's not really anti-Dub thread. And the guy himself has rolled back on his original venting (which was totally understandable given what had happened).

Cos he realised that he was surrounded by dubs and didn't have any plans on moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the 'art cows' that were installed on the streets of Dublin a few years ago, they travelled the world, but guess which was the only city where they were vandalised, beheaded, and eventually had to be moved into shopping centres and security hired to protect them?
    So no, it doesn't happen everywhere.

Where did you hear that? Most cities suffered vandalism with Prague the worst affected.

So yes, it does happen everywhere. Unfortunately.

Advertisement