Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals and rechecks

• 25-09-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey everyone :) I got 460 in my leaving cert but needed 465 to do the course i want to do, primary school teaching. I sent away 2 subjects business and biology, in business i'm half a percent (2 marks) away from the next highest grade (b2) which will give me the necessary 5 points. Also in biology I am one and a half percent off an A2. Just wondering what is the chance of attaining these marks? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There are no sympathy marks if that's what you're asking. Your paper will be marked on the same scheme as everyone else and extra marks will be awarded if there was an answer in your paper that should have been given marks the first time round but wasn't, or if there was an error in addition, etc

Did you check your papers to see if they warranted more marks before you sent them off?

No examiner is going to a look at a paper and go 'ah they're only .5% off the next grade, I'll give them the marks as they obviously need the upgrade to get into college..... if that was the case everyone would be appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Confused93

Yes I did check my papers and there were a few areas that I thought I deserved more marks. The problem is even though my answers were valid answers from my textbook they were not down in the marking scheme so i received 0. My question is that even though the answers are technically right will I be penalised just because it is not one of the options in the marking scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Confused93 wrote: »
    Yes I did check my papers and there were a few areas that I thought I deserved more marks. The problem is even though my answers were valid answers from my textbook they were not down in the marking scheme so i received 0. My question is that even though the answers are technically right will I be penalised just because it is not one of the options in the marking scheme?

This happened to my business paper, marker was absolutely ridiculous and after reviewing the paper I should have gotten 5-10 percent more. He wouldn't give marks for questions that were right unless they were phrased exactly like the marking scheme.

To answer your question I would imagine it'll depend on your marker again, let's hope we both get a good one who uses his brain and not just the marking scheme sample answers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Confused93

That sounds oh so familiar! It's so frustrating isn't it? I missed out in my college place because of 2 marks.. sickening! Good luck to you Cruel sun I hope it works out for both of us.. :)

Advertisement