Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance-STRESS!!

Options
  • 25-09-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm really sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I could really do with some advice because I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

I have been approved etc for social housing and also qualify to receive rent allowance. What I am struggling with is where am I going to get a place I can afford? I am on Disability allowance so have very very little income to add to rent and expenses. Houses/apartments in Dublin are so unbelievably expensive, and I have a dog that needs to come with me.

I understand a lot of people would say re-home the dog etc, finding yourself somewhere to live is more important. Although I understand where you are coming from, I have to stress, that my dog is all I have left. He means the world to me and the only family I have.

Regardless of the dog, houses/apartments are still so expensive!! I really don't know how I am going to afford somewhere!! If anyone has any advice on how to go about this or has any experience I would really appreciate it!

Thank you:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I presume your single so the max you can rent is 475 a month in dublin

did you try daft?? advanced search put in 500 mthly rent and tick RA acceptable and see what comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sandford

Yes I am single. Have tried that alright and there is literally nothing. I need to be within easy commute of hospitals and doctors in the blackrock area. Though I know I haven't a hope of renting around there, places like Tallaght and Lucan are going to cost me a fortune in petrol everyday.

I have friends in the dudrum/blackrock/sandyford area and would like to be able to socialize with them as much as possible. Sitting at home alone is not going to be fund! I also Volunteer in the Rathfarnham area so Northside would be a really big struggle financially, considering its not that much cheaper to rent there!

your not going to get that, those areas are highly desirable and most places where bought in the boom so the landlords cant even let the places out for less than what they need to repay.

your just going to have to suck it up like the rest of us who find ourselves unemployed and in need of rent allowance and move to an area that accommodates for that. where i live at the moment is miles from my friends, family and my old life, i can not afford to move back to my desired area as its too expensive, i cant even afford a car, so be grateful that you have transport, at least your not restricted by public transport....look at the positives in your life instead of the negatives...ie you may have to live miles away but you have a car so its easier to get to and everywhere is near when you have a car....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OP, I know how hard it is. I've been in your position and it can really leave you feeling depressed.
    I searched Rent.ie and Daft.ie every single day when I was looking and I did find some places within my budget, but don't forget to look in the Herald.
    I've heard some people say nobody reads small ads anymore, but if you buy the paper, you'll be surprised at the amount of ads with landlords looking for tenants.
    In my experience, you're best off trying to deal with a landlord, not an estate agent. So keep searching the sites and get the paper and best of luck to you.

fussyonion wrote: »
    OP, I know how hard it is. I've been in your position and it can really leave you feeling depressed.
    I searched Rent.ie and Daft.ie every single day when I was looking and I did find some places within my budget, but don't forget to look in the Herald.
    I've heard some people say nobody reads small ads anymore, but if you buy the paper, you'll be surprised at the amount of ads with landlords looking for tenants.
    In my experience, you're best off trying to deal with a landlord, not an estate agent. So keep searching the sites and get the paper and best of luck to you.

Thanks for that advice :-) at least I know I'm doing the right thing anyways! pretty tough getting houses on the budgets we have! Never thought of the newspaper thank you!!!

• Advertisement

edellc wrote: »
    your not going to get that, those areas are highly desirable and most places where bought in the boom so the landlords cant even let the places out for less than what they need to repay.

your just going to have to suck it up like the rest of us who find ourselves unemployed and in need of rent allowance and move to an area that accommodates for that. where i live at the moment is miles from my friends, family and my old life, i can not afford to move back to my desired area as its too expensive, i cant even afford a car, so be grateful that you have transport, at least your not restricted by public transport....look at the positives in your life instead of the negatives...ie you may have to live miles away but you have a car so its easier to get to and everywhere is near when you have a car....

I appreciate that it is near impossible to get something in those areas. I was looking for advice from people who have been through this already, not to be told to "suck it up". I have not complained once, I have simply stated that I would prefer to be in a certain area for financial,social and medical reasons. I have a car yes and I worked very hard to have it and make a lot of sacrifices to keep it. Public transport is far more practical in most cases, but where I receive medical treatment it is not a reasonable option for public transport. It may be easier to get places but a LOT more expensive.

I'm very sorry for your situation and wish you the best in future and hope you can move back to where your friends and family live some day soon.

I wasnt meaning to be harsh OP but we cant always get what we want in life, as for people in such a situation as you...Im it, and as I have said it is about sucking it up and moving to the areas that you can afford and yes they are not the areas you want to be in but when your on welfare you can not have your cake and eat it, it just doesnt work. I would love to be back in the areas you named but cant afford it. Landlords wont take rent allowance as there is this perception that people on it are lay abouts with no desire to work and will wreck the property when this is far from the case, or the landlord just doesnt want to declare tax (this I find to be the most true for the areas mentioned)

if your on welfare and approved for rent allowance why not get in touch with cluid who have housing in the dun laoghaire/rath down council areas, but you have to be on DLRDCOCO housing list to avail of them and get housing in their areas

also look further afield like stepaside and taylors lane...speak to the landlord directly, but you do know that having a dog will hinder you greatly which isnt how it should be but unfortunately it is...Ireland hasnt accepted that the vast majority of people who rent just want to make a home and are not rowdy students or drug dealing scum on the dole and until that mentality changes rental accommodation and people who enter it as a business are not going to change...I would like to say we need to learn from Europe but I really have no faith in our people to do that

it is a luxury to have a car and your lucky to have one so please look at the positives, as for me well I really have given up at this stage and as soon as the lease is up im leaving my home town of 30 plus years. it is now far to expensive for me to rent in and I am not will to settle for tallaght (for those who want to say there are nice areas of tallaght I totally appreciate that but tallaght is just not for me)

oh just for the record the amount I have to pay on public transport and with more rises on the way, the argument of having your own car is far more expensive just doesnt wash any more...they are both equalling themselves out, expense wise and convenience wise (lots of routes have been cancelled without getting replaced or another one diverted to accommodate) you really cant have your cake and eat it

just want to add i am not giving out about my situation, it is what it is. I have worked very hard for a very long time but through paying high rents from an early age never had the opportunity to buy and due to living where i lived never needed to have a car...i just failed to take into account that my job would go and how ill i would get but thats life and i didnt buy a safety rope...I am happy to be leaving dublin and look forward to the new adventure just roll on my lease being up

Sorry for getting touchy edellc, I just have had a lot of judgement from people about my situation and I am a little sensitive. Sometimes feel like shouting at people that NO ONE asks to be in this situation!! It is NOT pleasant!

Thank you for that advice, I will get in contact with Cluid, I am on the DLRDCOCO list and currently living in that area.

You are 100% right about the stigma against welfare receivers. I have rented a number of properties and take great pride in my home no matter where I live and there is hundreds of people on social welfare who do the same, so it is incredibly frustrating when the few give a bad name to the many. Another thing that really gets me is that I cannot transfer hospitals or anything like that but have to travel the other side of Dublin. This is just added stress and financial struggles for many many people in our situation.

Sorry rant over! I don't want to be on disability or not able to live where I want. I don't want to have a degree and not be able to put that to use cause of Disabilities. Just hope I am lucky enough to get a nice landlord who understands that I am just trying to get my life back on track, not there for a easy ride and trash a house!

Don't give up, one day you will be back with your family! Also with the price of life these days I would be surprised if it was cheaper to have a car over public transport!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you can get advice from threshold,or centercare,
    focus
    see http://www.yelp.ie/biz/focus-ireland-dublin-3
    they print a list of flats ,houses for rent everyday,
    see http://www.focusireland.ie/
    i thinks its hard for a single person to get a flat on ra.
    i just don,t see how you can find a house or apartment on ra in dublin.
    most single people on rent allowance go for flats or bedsits.
    you might find a large ground floor flat. with entrance to garden.
    even so you,d need a large deposit.
    i know a pensioner who,s renting a house, near athlone, but rents are much cheaper outside dublin.
    you might someone who owns a house who wants a older,tenant to share,1 person,

or put an ad on daft ie, gumtree ,
    i,m looking for , .... i can pay 425 per month.
    See www. rent.ie
    i have a travel 90 bus ticket i find i can get most places in dublin in 90 minutes.on 1
    or 2 bus tickets.
    i use web to plan out longer journeys.

maybe cheaper in some cases than driving there.
    Maybe if you know, some else ,
    on welfare ,you could team up with them,,find a large flat,2bedroom,with acess to garden,
    or apartment.
    you,d need to look on daft.ie rent.ie everday, in the morning to find any type of flat
    thats on ra ,and view it quick,the same day its advertised.
    Sometimes theres 1 or 2 bed houses for rent,
    but even if they take ra, it would be more than 450 per month.
    the ra limit takes no account of where your friends live,
    i sympathise with your situation,
    you want to be near your friends,and medical facilitys.
    i think if you want to stay near blackrock,
    you,ll need to find a small flat 1st or ground floor,,maybe that has acess to a garden.

All the people i know on disability, after a few years they got a nice,corporation flat, ground floor,so there is a hope in the long term.
    if you are on ground floor, or have easy acess to a garden the dog should not be a problem.

From what i know of rentals, houses ,and apartments in dublin are simply
    over the ra limit for you,
    unless you can find a co tenant,who,ll pay half the rent and is also on welfare.
    GO to daft.ie type in 460 euro max 1bedroom,
    see whats in your price range.
    i know people on disability lived in flats ,on rent allowance,
    they were ok,landlord treated them the same as any other tenant.
    you are allowed to share a house with a landlord, under rent a room scheme,
    as long as rent is under the ra limit.
    i,ve never seen anyone on ra renting an apartment,in dublin ,
    unless they had a child,or co tenant to share the rent.

Thank you very much for that! lots of advice I have taken note of it all, and will get on it in the AM.

My dog is the laziest animal on the face of the earth so doesn't need to run about all day in a garden but easy access would be nice for him none the less.

I have had to move up from Limerick and cannot get over the price difference. I was living in a mansion for the price of a shoe box up here!!!!

As you said I will just have to keep my eye on daft and snap whatever up asap.

Thank you so much for your post I really really appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Thats what i find strange, you could rent a nice apartment in the country ,for the price of a small flat here.
    You can get loads of advice or help from the places,in my last post.
    CENTRECARE or threshold have experts who,, help you,
    focuspoint is more like a cafe,advice centre, but theres little privacy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi OP,
    Just a word about transport costs, could you use your Bus Pass (i'm assuming you have one, I do) for volunteering etc, and only use your car when you really need to?
    Sorry to hear you cannot change hospitals etc, same boat here, I would like to move to Galway where my Dad was from, and have been looking at practicalities, but med treatment etc complicates things.
    A close friend is in pretty much the same situ as you, had to leave a lovely 2 bed apt in a nice area over the rent ceilings that was introduced, was killing him paying his LL 50e a week extra (on top of the 32 or whatever). So he moved out the country to quite far out in Co. Meath. 3 bed detached e450!
    Only drawback is that he collects his child from primary every afternoon in Dublin, so petrol is now a big concern. (He was working 13 yrs out of the past 15. I hate the stigma against 'dole-heads'. People often assume you are something you are not.)
    I am glad you are keeping your dog, if he is your best buddy & been with you thru thick & thin you can't just 'give him up'. Besides, shelters etc are pretty much full atm. I hate the way some ppl see animals as 'disposable'.

Good luck with you & your budddy finding a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Dudrum, blackrock, sandyford and DunLaoire are pretty well served by the Dart and Luas, it might be advisable to look for somewhere on the Green Line or the Dart line that would provide fast, easy, frequent access to the area and might be more affordable.

zef wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    Just a word about transport costs, could you use your Bus Pass (i'm assuming you have one, I do) for volunteering etc, and only use your car when you really need to?
    Sorry to hear you cannot change hospitals etc, same boat here, I would like to move to Galway where my Dad was from, and have been looking at practicalities, but med treatment etc complicates things.
    A close friend is in pretty much the same situ as you, had to leave a lovely 2 bed apt in a nice area over the rent ceilings that was introduced, was killing him paying his LL 50e a week extra (on top of the 32 or whatever). So he moved out the country to quite far out in Co. Meath. 3 bed detached e450!
    Only drawback is that he collects his child from primary every afternoon in Dublin, so petrol is now a big concern. (He was working 13 yrs out of the past 15. I hate the stigma against 'dole-heads'. People often assume you are something you are not.)
    I am glad you are keeping your dog, if he is your best buddy & been with you thru thick & thin you can't just 'give him up'. Besides, shelters etc are pretty much full atm. I hate the way some ppl see animals as 'disposable'.

Good luck with you & your budddy finding a new home.

Hi, thank you so much for this post! really is such a relief and encouragement when people understand my love for my dog. He is my heart and soul and wouldnt give him up for anything!!

I have had a long hard think about it and I really am considering moving back down the country and applying to their housing list because I really don't think I could afford living here. The lifestyle (for me at least) is much easier financially. I have a lot of friends down there and I also have a great relationship with the hospitals etc in Limerick where I was being treated before coming back to Dublin. I think both me and my dog would be happier there and I would have more disposable monies to keep my car going and have a life!

There are no buses to the place I volunteer and they insist you have a car or a lift to work there. I LOVE it and really don't want to have absolutely no life for the sake of staying in Dublin. I was happier in Limerick, and had my circumstances not have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time, I would never have left.

I really need to sit down and go through ALL options before making a decision,but I just want to thank everyone for their posts I so appreciate it! times are tough in ireland and I just really hope we call can make it out the other side, cause things are pretty desperate! fingers crossed!

Thanks again to everyone :D

the rent outside dublin is 50 per cent cheaper,approx
    but the ra allowances are lower ,each county has different rates.
    CHECK THE RATES for limerick,
    look on daft.ie , rent.ie limerick.
    Theres more jobs in dublin, i dont see rents decreasing in dublin in most area,s.
    OVERALL you,d probably have more choice in rent options outside dublin , i dont know the rent situation
    in limerick, i,m presuming rents are cheaper .
    ie apartments are cheaper to buy for a landlord.
    i just think you are wasting time ,looking for a house or apartment in dublin.
    the main advantage of dublin is there s
    a good bus service most places, and you have free travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

your best chance of getting a place for yourself and your pet is to move down the country,
    i do rent,
    i have a lady her dog and cat staying in a little cottage i own, she has her own little garden and a few veg in it, i accept rent allowance and also animals, i also find that a lot of people who did not accept animals in the past are now doing so,
    what i look for in a pet owner is that they dont let their dog loose.put the cat out for toilet, and they are honest with me, and pay as said each month,
    this year i upgraded the little cottage to good double glazed windows, i trew out oil central heating and put in one of those little multifuel stoves along with new radiators, so that it would make it easy on tenant to keep warm in winter, rather have big oil bills,
    look out for small cottage in or near village down country and get to know locals, the lady i have is a dub, had said she would be leaving me in a year when she moved in two yrs ago, now she says she does not want to go and intend staying,
    if you have a bus pass, you can live any part of country, think about it, it may do your health and heart good, and your dog will have a new life also, going for walk every day.
    and all cheaper and easier for you.
    be sure that where ever you get, that it is well insulated and easy to heat such as what i have done for my tenant

You want to live in a place where you know someone, with hospitals good medical services , the best you can do is get a ground floor flat in dublin, with acess to a lawn or garden.
    in general southside rents higher than northside,
    depending on the area it may be possible to rent a 1bed apartment
    in the country under rent allowance limit,
    Every county has different ra limits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

ra limit for limerick single person not sharing accomodation 390 euro per month.

i know in general ,southside houses , apartments rents are
    significantly higher than north dublin.
    obviously a 1bed house or apartment much cheaper to heat than a large house.
    THERE are STUDIO flats to rent that are the same size as a 1bed apartment in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you would be moving into a new neigh bourhood anyway and having to get to know others,
    if you have free pass for bus, you could live anywhere in the country, reason for country living is, you have a pet, and a back garden would be an advantage, there are plenty two and three bed houses out the country costing very little by comparison to a one bed flat a few stories up without a proper place for the pet, also it would be easy to get to know neighbours, deal with landlord or owner and you can get to know alot about area,
    my daughter was paying 120 euro per week a few yrs ago, for a tiny room with just enough room to get to one side of a small single bed, the room did not have an en suite as it was smaller than a bathroom itself, and she was sharing the house with three others, there was the bin collection, electricity, heating on top of that, with a fine heafty deposit, for something that did not even have a wardrobe nor chest of drawers, we made up a set of drawers ourselves to slip under bed,
    i thought it was daylight robbery to be honest,
    where as there are whole houses down country going for about 100 euro per week, where this person could have family visit and room to stay weekends.

Advertisement