Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon Phone Watch Repair - Independent Installation

Options
  • 25-09-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend an independent house alarm installer who could service and repair an unmonitored Eircom Phone Watch alarm system in the Cabra area of Dublin?

I moved into a rented house with an unmonitored Eircom alarm system but the front door was recently replaced and the alarm sensor never replaced. As such the front door sensor doesn't work and would need to be attached or replaced and the alarm checked. I rang Eircom Phone Watch some time ago but akin to their great customer service they don't do evening or weekend call outs despite the expensive charge. Given that the alarm system is not monitored with Eircom and a contract is no longer in place I'm hoping an independent installer can repair the system of an evening or weekend at a more competitive cost than the rates supplied by Eircom. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Can anyone recommend an independent house alarm installer who could service and repair an unmonitored Eircom Phone Watch alarm system in the Cabra area of Dublin?

I moved into a rented house with an unmonitored Eircom alarm system but the front door was recently replaced and the alarm sensor never replaced. As such the front door sensor doesn't work and would need to be attached or replaced and the alarm checked. I rang Eircom Phone Watch some time ago but akin to their great customer service they don't do evening or weekend call outs despite the expensive charge. Given that the alarm system is not monitored with Eircom and a contract is no longer in place I'm hoping an independent installer can repair the system of an evening or weekend at a more competitive cost than the rates supplied by Eircom. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Was the sensor deleted off the system?
    If not it should only be a matter or putting the sensor on the new door.
    What type system have you installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

altor wrote: »
    Was the sensor deleted off the system?
    If not it should only be a matter or putting the sensor on the new door.
    What type system have you installed?

No don't believe so, when I hit System Status it states "Sensor 1, Front Door, Failure" which to my inexperienced ear indicates that it's expecting a front door sensor but it's not getting any response from it.

It's a wired system with the control panel as below:
    Eircom_panel.jpg
    Sorry don't know the actual spec of the unit as it's a rented house and don't have the manual etc.

That is correct. Your system is not communicating with the sensor. This could be either a fault on the sensor or just that the battery is completely dead. If you get a replacement battery and put it in the sensor then drop the front lid on the control panel. Enter your user code, press test then done. Using the magnet put it to the sensor and move it away. The control panel should beep and give a reading of the strength of the sensor if it is communicating with the control panel. Here is the manual off the Simon system.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

altor wrote: »
    That is correct. Your system is not communicating with the sensor. This could be either a fault on the sensor or just that the battery is completely dead. If you get a replacement battery and put it in the sensor then drop the front lid on the control panel. Enter your user code, press test then done. Using the magnet put it to the sensor and move it away. The control panel should beep and give a reading of the strength of the sensor if it is communicating with the control panel. Here is the manual off the Simon system.
    Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the link to the manual and information above. The problem is that there's no sensor at all on the front door at present, well the remnants of a plastic holder connected to a wire remains dangling but no sensor like on the back door and windows. When they replaced the front door it appears as if they failed to transfer the alarm sensor to the new door. That's why I was enquiring about an installer or someone who'd be familiar with the Eircom Phone Watch systems would be able to replace and fit the sensor and get the system working correctly again.

Alternative are sensors readably available to source and how easy would it be to fit. I don't mind doing some DIY but since it's a rented house I'd have to check with the landlord as to his wishes as initially he told me to check with Eircom about getting a suitable time for them to come repair the system but since they're in no ways obliging with their times I said I'd check here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

If he's going to pay for it go ahead and get PW out ;)
    You need a new sensor programmed to group 10 and the old one deleted out of it .
    You mentioned a wire dangling was it a wired sensor they used ?? If so you'd need a 47k resistor and reed switch

Edit: you say it's a wired system but these systems are wireless with the option of having two hard wired sensors or an external bell but not both :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link to the manual and information above. The problem is that there's no sensor at all on the front door at present, well the remnants of a plastic holder connected to a wire remains dangling but no sensor like on the back door and windows. When they replaced the front door it appears as if they failed to transfer the alarm sensor to the new door. That's why I was enquiring about an installer or someone who'd be familiar with the Eircom Phone Watch systems would be able to replace and fit the sensor and get the system working correctly again.

Alternative are sensors readably available to source and how easy would it be to fit. I don't mind doing some DIY but since it's a rented house I'd have to check with the landlord as to his wishes as initially he told me to check with Eircom about getting a suitable time for them to come repair the system but since they're in no ways obliging with their times I said I'd check here first.

I would think that sensor is maybe off an old wired system.
    The sensor you need is a 433RF contact. Here is a link to the suppliers list. Most of them would have them in stock.

It is very easy to fit and enroll on the Simon system.
    You will need the engineer code to do this though.
    If not send me a P.M and I will see what I can do for you..

Advertisement