Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby swimming floats

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We got a neoprene baby wetsuit from amazon, because he is not yet 5 months, and I didnt want him to get cold. We also got a neoprene jacket that has floats built in - I was worried about a wet baby wiggling out of my arms in the pool!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splash-About-Neoprene-wetsuit-swimming/dp/B000LQ9T2I/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A31W9T2SMLW0EF

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splash-About-Neoprene-adjustable-Turquoise/dp/B004QI1EB6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&m=A31W9T2SMLW0EF&qid=1348589897&s=generic&sr=1-4

I've yet to bring him though. Dad wants to come too for the first swim and we've had a couple of busy weekends where we couldnt fit in the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was luck enough to be given every baby swim accessory going as I have older neices. My favurite was a floaties 'wetsuit with floats inserted front and back' but really under 1, its easier to just hold them in the water for the 30 mins. They will get cold even in the neopheme body warmer. I always buy a sun suit type of swim suit they are much better than the usual swim togs. After 12 months, the ring with a seat is fun, but colder for baby. Once they can walk a float jacket is good, but baby can fall forward or backwards if the jacket is loose under their arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Be careful with those jackets with the floats. I know a woman who brought her 2 toddlers to the pool. The younger one was wearing one of those and she took her eye off her for a second and she was face flat in the water.

Just don't put too much confidence in them. The best thing is to hold your baby or toddler yourself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks for the tips. I don't intend on letting go for a second but it's just an added reassurance to have them. I will be careful now I know baby can topple face down in them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Thanks all for the replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Be careful with those jackets with the floats. I know a woman who brought her 2 toddlers to the pool. The younger one was wearing one of those and she took her eye off her for a second and she was face flat in the water.

Just don't put too much confidence in them. The best thing is to hold your baby or toddler yourself.

TBH, you should always be looking at and be in an arms reach of a child in any flotation device. I taught swimming for many years and I much prefer the jacket over armbands simply becauase they allow a position in the water that is more horizontal, as you would be when swimmming, and your arms are free to help move you. This more horizontal position does mean that you can tip over, however they do learn to balance fairly quickly. My son is 21 months and I would always be beside him when swimming but I wouldn't hold him.

Advertisement