Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cook a bacon joint.

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I have a nice bacon joint I'm looking to cook for this evening. I'm hoping to roast it in 2 halfs, one with honey/mustard and one with jamiacan jerk. Just wondering is it necessary to soak the joint for a long period prior to roasting? Should the joint be boiled/change the water and then roasted?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I like to boil bacon first and then finish it in the oven. That way the bacon stays soft and moist and not too salty. No need to pre-soak. Bring bacon to boil and simmer for 20 minutes per pound. Take it out of the water, remove the skin and then cover with seasoning. Back into a hot oven to crisp up the fat for 20-30 mins and serve. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Thanks maglight this turned out fantastic, I did half with honey mustard and half with jamiacan jerk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Glad you enjoyed it Martyn. It was my mum's recipe. Boiled and baked smoked streaky bacon with brown sugar and mustard glaze was a weekday staple as I was growing up. All served up with freshly boiled potatoes, savoy cabbage and drawn butter (generous knob of butter melted in milk, salt and pepper)

She was a great cook.

Advertisement