Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memphis or Nashville

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

I am staying a few days with friends in Georgia and then heading up to Tennessee. I am visiting a few places and want to base myself for 3 days in Nashville or Memphis. Memphis looks interesting with the Civil Rights Museum & Sun Studios for example. I can't see a lot in Nashville to be honest. Has anybody visited the 2 cities and what did they think is the better to spend more time in?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As you guessed Memphis probably has more things to see for someone who is spending a couple of days in TN but if any part of you likes country music then Nashville is an excellent city for great live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

spent probably 8 nights in memphis with work and its not a bad place. Nice food and loads of bars with live music.

Beale street area was very good fun - they close off street to cars so you can walk and drink between bars outside and listen to all the live music.

City is kinda scary once u get away from main areas and is one of the most crime ridden places in the US.

The demographic is something like 65 black, 34 white and 1% misc - I didnt see one Asian person in the 8 days i was there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Thanks guys for your invaluable advise. More then likely I will stay my few nights in Memphis. I heard though that Memphis can be a bit rough in certain areas alright so I don't want to stay or venture to the wrong area. Can anybody recommand me a place in the center where you can park your car safely and is clean and does not cost too much ie $130 to $150 or so per night. After a pretty unnerving experience in Atlanta where I went off the beaten walk and ended up being nearly set upon I am wary where to to. Where is best to go and where is best to avoid in Memphis? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Memphis has the Blues, Graceland and the history of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Museum. Nashville has Country music, Country music and Country music. :D

In all seriousness, see both places if you can, it's around 3hrs drive from one to the other on a decent highway. They are similar but yet very different, the cuisine in Memphis is worth exploring especially if you like Southern BBQ (dry ribs = drool).

Nashville, and Lower Broadway in particular, is one seriously fun spot and probably feels safer. Memphis is fine once you don't stray too far from Beale and the tourist spots, no different than any other part of suburban USA in fairness.

You also have the Stax Museum and Sun Studio in Memphis, iconic places if you are into music. Similarly Nashville has places like the Grand Ole Opry, Country Music Hall of Fame and RCA Studio where Mr Presley recorded a vast amount of his work.

So in summary, see both!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I was in both and would love to head back to Nashville.
    Memphis is ok for a night but it seemed to lack areas you could go. Nashville was a lot of fun and had some great stuff to see. Plus the live music as previously mentioned is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Been to both cities twice out of Atlanta, 4 hour driving time to Nashville and roughly 7 hours to Memphis. Both cities good craic but personally prefer Nashville, there's a better vibe there. If you hit Nashville, head to Roberts Bar on the main strip, great bar with live country music every night, nothing fancy but just love the place

Thanks guys. I am going to spend a day in Nasville and 2 in Memphis, therefore I get to see the best of both worlds at least!

Make sure you do the Gracelands tour, when in Rome and all that!! I have done it twice and enjoyed it.

Thanks Missy and I certainly won't be thinking of Scambridge when I am over in the US:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Odd, that. Just came back from a week in Atlanta, specifically Gwinnett County. We did think about Memphis but then realised the drive would be a killer.

Got to hang out in Little Five Points, which was rocking, all the same :D

• Advertisement

micromary wrote: »
    Thanks Missy and I certainly won't be thinking of Scambridge when I am over in the US:D

Lucky you, would love to be heading to Georgia soon but no job at the moment so looks like my annual Christmas visit is out this year, unless I win big on the lotto.. Make sure you head to Roberts bar in Nashville even if only for one drink, have one for me, lol

old hippy wrote: »
    Odd, that. Just came back from a week in Atlanta, specifically Gwinnett County. We did think about Memphis but then realised the drive would be a killer.

Got to hang out in Little Five Points, which was rocking, all the same :D

I have family in Gwinnett and go there normally twice a year, I love it there!! Five points downtown? First time I went down there and we had a mooch around, ended up in one of the bars there, good fun. Got back to my sister house and her husband asked did we see the commotion there, seemingly there had been a shooting there which we had not even noticed, a few beers too many probably, lol..

I have driven Atlanta-Memphis and it's a long hoor of a drive, 7 hours min and boring on the highways..

I have family in Gwinnett and go there normally twice a year, I love it there!! Five points downtown? First time I went down there and we had a mooch around, ended up in one of the bars there, good fun. Got back to my sister house and her husband asked did we see the commotion there, seemingly there had been a shooting there which we had not even noticed, a few beers too many probably, lol..

I have driven Atlanta-Memphis and it's a long hoor of a drive, 7 hours min and boring on the highways..

Little Five Points, afaik is more of a counter culture area - downtown Five Points (near the station?) is a bit more edgy, so I'm told. Check out The Vortex if you visit LFP, decent bar and you can even smoke there (if you are a smoker) :)

Yup, I'm a smoker for my sins Old Hippy. Must check it out next time I'm over there, hopefully in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

I spent a night in Nashville, had a great time there, great music, friendly people and I'd definitely go back. Spent a night in Memphis also, did the Gibson factory tour which was good and drove by Elvis's house. Memphis wasn't really for me but its hard to know in that short time, I did find some areas a bit rough though. If you are looking for a good night out and good music I'd definitely go with Nashville.

Thanks guys. Missy or anyone, can you pls advise where would be the best place to stay over as there is no way I am going to do that journey with a plane at 3:30 in the afternoon Atlanta time. I was thinking of Jasper or Birmingham in Alabama. May look around but basically it is a stopover from Memphis. Secondly is there a time difference between Tennessee and Georgia?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. West Tennessee (where Memphis is) and Middle Tennessee (where Nashville is) are on Central time. Georgia is on Eastern Time, so its an hour ahead. Parts of Eastern Tennessee are on Eastern time but if you aren't going there, it won't really affect your trip.

I'd get somewhere on the outskirts of Birmingham, on the Atlanta side of I-40. You'll have more choice of larger chain hotels/motels. Up to last year, I drove between B'ham and Atlanta quite often. Dunno if is still a factor a year later, but last year there was a fair amount of road works on the last stretch of the journey into B'ham, which would be the first leg of your trip to Atlanta. I'd factor that into your overall trip time. On a good day, you'll do it in 2 hrs. In heavy traffic, it'll be 3. Set your watch to Eastern time as soon as you get up. That way you won't forget and arrive in Atlanta a hour after you think it is.

Have some Popeyes chicken for me when you get to Atlanta. Man oh man do I miss it ! And oh yeah, if anyone suggests going to the Varsity for hotdogs, don't bother. Woeful shyte altogether !

Thanks ProundDub for your advise. Appreciate it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Popeyes?? Scratching my head at that one! Totally agree re Varsity. Unless you went to Tech, it's quite baffling as to why the place still exists.

old hippy, sorry to hear you had to stay in Gwinnett Co. Happy to hear you visited L5P. Good spot and the tourists don't know. It's all of 2mi from my house. And yes, L5P and Five Points are worlds apart. Folks from Gwinnett Co typically do not know that.

ProudDUB is right about B'ham. If you get there during rush hour, stay on the ATL side. Any other time, get thee to the far side, or you'll have morning rush hour to deal with.

As for the orig question: Nashville is a much nicer city than Memphis. So it's an easy decision for me: Knoxville :)

Okay, I'm curious now, tell me where little 5 points is in Gwinnett? Family are in Suanwee. If not far there might try and get there on next visit.

• Advertisement

Okay, I'm curious now, tell me where little 5 points is in Gwinnett? Family are in Suanwee. If not far there might try and get there on next visit.

Oh no - not Gwinnett. Inman Park, near downtown:

L5P

Ok, geographical mishaps aside, this is why I like the area (this bar, in particular)

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/pages/smoking

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I'm from Nashville and I'd say you can't go wrong in either city for a good time. It all depends on what you are more interested in. Memphis can be very rough but I've had great times there on beale street with friends from the area. There's great music in Nashville, yes it's famous for country music but you will find there is everything under the sun there.

Re: Knoxville, fantastic city, went to college at UT and it is very much a college city. But it has a great atmosphere and close to the smokies if that's your interest.

Re: Knoxville, fantastic city, went to college at UT and it is very much a college city.

That would make you a member of the Orange Order. Smokies Chapter ;)

I have VHI health cover which has €100k cover if anything happens to me in the USA. I will be travelling alone in a car for a week. Friends advised that it may be worth enquiring re multi-trip cover? Just wanted to enquire if anyone has taken this out? I don't (God forbid) want to have difficulties if I have a accident etc in the US.

micromary wrote: »
    I have VHI health cover which has €100k cover if anything happens to me in the USA. I will be travelling alone in a car for a week. Friends advised that it may be worth enquiring re multi-trip cover? Just wanted to enquire if anyone has taken this out? I don't (God forbid) want to have difficulties if I have a accident etc in the US.

What do you want to insure for? €100k would probably cover you for many potential medical issues. Possibly even if you were involved in a serious car accident, had to be airlifted, spent days in hospital, etc. Don't mean to be alarmist.... Then again, it's awfully easy for those bills to add up.

Have you looked into adding overseas car rental to your Irish insurance? It will probably come with personal injury coverage (it better!). Opting for any kind of comprehensive personal coverage over here, at time of renal can be a rip off. It's how the car rental companies make their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

old hippy wrote: »
    Ok, geographical mishaps aside, this is why I like the area (this bar, in particular)

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/pages/smoking

:D

The Vortex is great. Best burgers in Atlanta. Great atmosphere. It is in midtown which is just north of down town. Cool place to hang out. Once you are done there, head down Ponce de Leon, hang a right on Highland Ave and you'll be in Little Five Points in 5 mins. I think its over rated myself. It probably seems very hip to someone who has never set foot out side of Georgia, but if you've been to San Francisco or New York, you'll probably find it a bit lame.

That's the good news. The bad news is that Suwanee is a good hours drive north of the city of Atlanta. There is eff all to see and do there other than check out out the scenery of the near by North Georgia mountains, which is very, very beautiful but may not be everyone cup of tea. If you decide to head into the city to check out the sights, you'll have a bit of a trek getting back there from the city. If you plan on imbibing in local bars and hostelries, and don't want to drive home, you may have a problem as there is zero public transport that far away from the city, and cab fair (presuming you can get one to take you that far) will cost a fortune.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The Vortex is great. Best burgers in Atlanta. Great atmosphere. It is in midtown which is just north of down town......

ProudDUB - the Midtown Vortex is the tourist version. The real one is in L5P.

Fantastic burgers alright:
    BLUE ‘SHROOM BURGER
    Topped with our thick blue cheese spread,
    sautéed mushrooms and bacon. It’s so good you’ll
    see God.

Also, Yacht Club in L5P is another very good spot. Not far away is Manuel's Tavern, one of the more famous 'locals' in Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

My pa's in Memphis. I consider it my third home (after Seattle and Illinois). I have been the Civil Rights Museum several times, it is a great but heartbreaking experience. Never been to Graceland - it isn't something the locals do.

If you go, try to make it to the Blue Plate Cafe:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/50/540178/811383/memphis-blue-plate-cafe-country-fried-steak-eggs-and-hash-browns-photo?page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Hi,
    We did a tour of the deep south this summer.
    we did knoxville- nashville- tupelo ( elvis hometown)- memphis- jackson-vicksberg-natchez- new orleans- down to tampa
    so we saw alot of 5 states
    we loved memphis
    totally loved it
    the buzz and music
    i will go back there
    music on beale st was amazing- if you like your rock n roll go to memphis. we were amazed by graceland and civil rights museum. the sun studios will take your breath away.
    yes nashville very good- country music rock n roll hall of fame/museum, was excellent.... doubt we will go back there, saw alot of homeless/vagrants begging early evening outside bars. music excellent
    memphis out shone it in our opinions ( both of us 30yr couple), didnt find it overly dangerous, yes we kept out wits about us, but to be honest dont you have to in any city???
    oh yep, Mud Island tour- was good- nice to see the ol'man river and it's history

Advertisement