Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much VAT will I have to pay?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I am bringing some items in from China for sale purposes and the total cost of the shipment is 4000 euro how much VAT will I be likely to pay ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

(Goods Cost + freight cost + duty) x 23% = VAT payable

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

(Goods Cost + freight cost + duty) x 23% = VAT payable

Just bear in mind - and not many freight forwarders / customs brokers in Ireland apply this correctly - that the value for Duty is based on the CIF European border price.

C = Cost (usually the invoice value for the product)
    I = Transport Insurance Cost (a nominal value suffices)
    F = Freight Cost to the European Border

In case of Oceanfreight from China, the cost for the shipping to the port of transhipment (e.g. Rotterdam/Felixstowe/Southampton/Antwerp etc) will be sufficient to be added.

In case of airfreight from China, only 70% of the airfreight cost from China to Dublin needs to be added for the value for Duty purposes.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement