Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do death notices have to be published

• 25-09-2012 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for publishing a death notice online or in the paper is. Does the undertaker look after it. There is a reason for asking. My friend was seeing a guy for a while and she got word that he had passed away. She does not know any of his friends or family to contact them in relation to funeral arrangements and as far as I know if someone passes away they will appear on www.rip.ie?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for publishing a death notice online or in the paper is. Does the undertaker look after it. There is a reason for asking. My friend was seeing a guy for a while and she got word that he had passed away. She does not know any of his friends or family to contact them in relation to funeral arrangements and as far as I know if someone passes away they will appear on www.rip.ie?

Some people do not publish death notices. RIP.ie abstracts its notices from the newspapers. It is a matter for the next of kin if they wish to publish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Funeral Director takes care of it, they don't have to publish the passing on RIP.ie but most do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's usually looked after by the undertaker so if it's a small enough town it would be fine to phone them about the arrangements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

When my dad died we ( my brother and I ) contacted the Irish Times and had his death notice published. The undertakers will not do this AFAIK. Those closest to the deceased do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Lollers wrote: »
    When my dad died we ( my brother and I ) contacted the Irish Times and had his death notice published. The undertakers will not do it this. Those closest to the deceased will do it.

probably depends on the undertakers but the ones i used for my grandparents did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

probably depends on the undertakers but the ones i used for my grandparents did

Yep, it looks like they do, judging by the responses in this thread. It really does depend on the undertakers used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Not necessarily, there is no obligation to publish a death notice, though in most cases one is published.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Dr. Ego

Of course, otherwise my life would be worthless as all I do is amend the phone book with my hi-lighter pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Thanks everyone, great help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Local Radio stations usually put obituary notices on their websites.

I don't know if this applies if you live in a city though.

OP very often death notices are not published in the case of young people. Particuarly if their death was sudden/unexpected.

It is always at the discretion of the next of kin, and IME looked after by the funeral director.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Death notices are usually published by notification from an undertaker,or other authorised person, I hardly have to explain why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

aujopimur wrote: »
    Death notices are usually published by notification from an undertaker,or other authorised person, I hardly have to explain why.

One particular radio station in the south I used to work for aired the death notices 3 or 4 times a day. They only broadcast the notice if it came from a trusted source. (undertaker usually) This policy was brought in because of a false notice was put out on air and caused some hassle, as you can imagine:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Undertakers , in consulation with the family will arrange for publishing in Indo,mostly but also other papers.
    They also arrange the same on rip.ie and local radio - All of these cost money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Lollers wrote: »
    When my dad died we ( my brother and I ) contacted the Irish Times and had his death notice published. The undertakers will not do this AFAIK. Those closest to the deceased do.
    Must depend on the undertaker. When my dad dies the guy did the papers ads.

Advertisement