Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU dead?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Amazon 550 watt powersupply I received from hardwareversand.de I think it may be not working. I had everything hooked up and nothing from the power supply. The motherboard isn't doing anything and the fan in the power supply isn't moving. Is it dead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Was it working prior to this? Are there any lights on any components? Are the power switches on the psu and on the wall socket definitely on?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

Was it working prior to this? Are there any lights on any components? Are the power switches on the psu and on the wall socket definitely on?

Its a new one. Yes both switches are on and the wll socket. Tried three different power leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Do you have the power header plugged from case into the motherboard? 24 pin + 8 pin cables connceted?

spix wrote: »
    Do you have the power header plugged from case into the motherboard? 24 pin + 8 pin cables connceted?

24 pin plus 4 pin and then an 8 pin as well in the corner?

Karma25 wrote: »
    24 pin plus 4 pin and then an 8 pin as well in the corner?

Yeah, make sure they're pushed in properly and don't forget to connect the power button on your case to the motherboard. It's the only way of powering on the psu, just flicking the switch on the back isn't meant to turn it on.

• Advertisement

Yeah, make sure they're pushed in properly and don't forget to connect the power button on your case to the motherboard. It's the only way of powering on the psu, just flicking the switch on the back isn't meant to turn it on.

Still nothing? Think I might return it and hope that nothing else is DOA.

Still nothing? Think I might return it and hope that nothing else is DOA.

The chance of the psu being dead is very slim tbh (but still a chance obviously).

How are you trying to power it on, with the case power button? You will need to look at your motherboard manual to find out where to plug the power button in, its usually at the bottom of the board.

Also make sure you have the ram installed.

The chance of the psu being dead is very slim tbh (but still a chance obviously).

How are you trying to power it on, with the case power button? You will need to look at your motherboard manual to find out where to plug the power button in, its usually at the bottom of the board.

Also make sure you have the ram installed.

Ya one stick of RAM, the case power button I have plugged in and it still has nothing. Its a Xigmatek Asgard Computer Case and an this motherboard

Oh and yes trying to power it on with the start button.

Try the paperclip trick. Plug out everything that's connected to the motherboard from the psu

It could always be a problem with the motherboard/power button. This should help single it out.

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Try starting it by shorting the connector block. Disconnect all the power cables from the components and short a paper clip across the relevant cables. It's normally a green and any black but Google it to be 100%.

Edit: beaten to it!!

• Advertisement

Try the paperclip trick. Plug out everything that's connected to the motherboard from the psu

It could always be a problem with the motherboard/power button. This should help single it out.

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

Nothing. What does it mean now? Sorry for the stupid questions just a bit gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Nothing. What does it mean now? Sorry for the stupid questions just a bit gutted.

Assuming you've checked the fuse in the plug it sounds like the psu is dead.

If the fan on the psu didn't spin up after connecting the green + black wire on the 24 pin then its dead. Make sure paper clip is pushed in enough though, also check the switch on the back of psu is in the on position (sorry to state the obvious, just in case your a computer noob :D)

Neilos wrote: »
    Assuming you've checked the fuse in the plug it sounds like the psu is dead.

Tried the lead that came with the psu and tried two other leads and neither worked.

If the fan on the psu didn't spin up after connecting the green + black wire on the 24 pin then its dead. Make sure paper clip is pushed in enough though, also check the switch on the back of psu is in the on position (sorry to state the obvious, just in case your a computer noob :D)

Ya pushed it and heard a click and the switch was on :) Thanks for your help at least I now feel comfortable enough that the PSU is at fault before I send it back.

Advertisement