Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So i wrote an email.....

Options
  • 25-09-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

I decided to write an email to my local MEP Mairead McGuinness about the whole EU banning e-cigs and the like. No idea what i hope to attain from doing this but i think i would like to get someone's view from within the EU Parliament about the whole situation.
    Hi Mairead,

I am emailing you in relation to the above subject. It has been brought to my attention that the EU are going to ban electronic cigarettes and I would like to see what your view is on this issue.
    Blog Article Here

First, some background:

I'm 24 years old and I've been smoking for about 8 years. Stupid 16 year old me thought smoking was cool and until 6 weeks ago I smoked upwards to 20 a day and even more at times. I then saw and heard about using an electronic cigarette and i haven't touched a single cigarette in 6 weeks. Whilst using the electronic cigarette i am still getting nicotine into my system I am not putting the 4000+ chemicals into my system that cigarettes contain.

With the electronic cigarette I use I can refill it with various strengths of nicotine and various flavours (from tobacco flavours, fruity flavours, savory flavours, sweet flavours) and the main ingredients are Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, Flavouring, as above, and Nicotine. Now we all should know that Nicotine is addictive but if a smoker of 1 year or even a smoker of 40 years starts to use an electronic cigarette than i believe more power to them as they are cutting the thousands of chemicals out of their bodies.

The headlines of late in relation to electronic cigarettes are not very kind and not very informed. By the journalist and even the scientist!
    Article Here

Where as if someone is informed they can find out that whilst electronic cigarettes are not healthy they are healthier than continuing to smoke cigarettes.
    Article Here
    Study Here

Myself and my friends who use electronic cigarettes are extremely worried that if electronic cigarettes are banned and that they cant be bought or sold then we will have to switch back to cigarettes as patches and gum just don't work as well as we would like. This would not be a good thing for anyone as apart from myself being 6 weeks without a cigarette some of them are 6 months, and even 18 months off of cigarettes.

In closing i hope you read this and you can maybe reply and calm my worries over the whole subject and say its all hype.

Kind Regards

DirtyBollox*

*i did not actually sign it with dirtybollox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Nice mail, I hope you get a response. I may do similar with my local TD's just to see what their views on this are.

Does anyone have any data on how many users there are in Ireland? TD's always respond better in an election year or by potential voter numbers. Maybe some of the vendors could help with unique customer numbers to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

krissovo wrote: »
    Nice mail, I hope you get a response. I may do similar with my local TD's just to see what their views on this are.

Does anyone have any data on how many users there are in Ireland? TD's always respond better in an election year or by potential voter numbers. Maybe some of the vendors could help with unique customer numbers to get an idea.

If she replies it would be great to throw those kind of numbers at her!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Good on you, I never think of activism for some reason. Might give us all a boot up the hole.
    However...
    ...sign it with dirtybollox

...I have a certain image burnt into my brain now. Horrified, so I am, horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I'm gona contact some EU politician types about this, anyone know whare a list of comissioners and MEP would be?
    Might mention the clearstream study too.
    http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CSA_ItaEng.pdf
    Some good results on the passive vaping nonsense in this.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I'm gona contact some EU politician types about this, anyone know whare a list of comissioners and MEP would be?
    Might mention the clearstream study too.
    http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CSA_ItaEng.pdf
    Some good results on the passive vaping nonsense in this.

Irish MEP's are here

• Advertisement

No Reply yet, i'll give it another few days and then email her again and a few others

Advertisement