Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitt Romney: Why don't aircraft windows open?

• 25-09-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭

So the next leader of the "Free World" has wondered (aloud) why aircraft windows don't open?

So, what answer should AH give him?

"Windows with hinges are too expensive to install." :pac:

Link

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So the next leader of the "Free World"
    I would hope not, there are justified criticisms of Obama's first term, but he's still a far superior option to Romney

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i voting for mitt, planes should be able to open their windows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

So the next leader of the "Free World" has wondered (aloud) why aircraft windows don't open?

So, what answer should AH give him?

"Windows with hinges are too expensive to install." :pac:

Link

Pretty obvious answer really, windows don't open mid-flight because there would be a massive drop in cabin pressure which could tear the plane apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Pretty obvious answer really, windows don't open mid-flight because there would be a massive drop in cabin pressure which could tear the plane apart.

But that's the truth.... why waste facts on a fool like Romney?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

because all the helium which keeps the airplane in the air would get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Mitt Romney should never be misunderestimated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Apart from that, and the probabilty that everyone on board would be sucked out, except for Wesley Snipes, what's the harm in installing windows that open? How many times have you sat upstairs in a stuffy bus, wishing you could open a window?

33000ft? The air would be really fresh. Apart from the furniture and bodies flying out the window, it's win-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Then Ryanair couldn't charge us for their air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Feeona wrote: »
    Mitt Romney should never be misunderestimated elected!

Slight typing error, corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's about as far from an AH response as you can possibly get, but it would be okay in the Conspiracy Theory forum, mainly due to it being complete lies.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Beast of Bodmin

Cos the birds will get in and hijack the plane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So people can't hock out the window.

Imagine what a gobfull of spit would be like after coming down from so high? :eek:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Actually most commercial airliners do have windows that can open at up to 200mph. Thankfully, they're in the cockpit. I'd love to see what'd happen if someone decides they're too warm and opens it at FL390 though.*

*It'd go from 22c to -57C in one tenth of a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the fairy dust would blow out, duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Confab wrote: »
    Actually most commercial airliners do have windows that can open at up to 200mph. Thankfully, they're in the cockpit. I'd love to see what'd happen if someone decides they're too warm and opens it at FL390 though.*

*[SIZE="1"]It'd go from 22c to -57C in one tenth of a second.[/SIZE]

Planes are way to warm and stuffy anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Those windows aren't real windows, they are just mini tv screens to make everything look normal. Really, the plane is strapped to a flock of seagulls, like in James and the Giant Peach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Denny M wrote: »
    Those windows aren't real windows, they are just mini tv screens to make everything look normal. Really, the plan is strapped to a flock of seagulls, like in James and the Giant Peach.

Really, I never thought they were that good, although they sold quite well in the US, so maybe there's something in it after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Imagine if a cloud got in and started raining! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

endabob1 wrote: »
    Really, I never thought they were that good, although they sold quite well in the US, so maybe there's something in it after all.
    It's the hair that gave them the power of flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

so there is a fire, and he want to introduce even more oxygen,

that'll end well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Or imagine if a bee got in and stung the pilot.

I thought this was obvious, no?

Anyone who has a car can tell you that air conditioning doesn't work with the windows open. Same on planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I wonder if all this is a clever ruse, to make us believe he's a bumbling GWB Mark II. After all, the common person is intimidated by intelligence and rational thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

You should also be able to open the windows on submarines, it gets very stuffy down there, would be good to let some fresh air in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I thought it was to keep the midgets out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

He must be modelling his presidential style on George W. Bush, or even Prince Philip.

I thought it was to keep the midgets out

Really? Didn't think Midgets could fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

FatherLen wrote: »
    because all the helium which keeps the airplane in the air would get out.

Aah, that's how they work.

I had a laptop once that ran on smoke. Unfortunately all the smoke escaped through the vents and it never worked after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I wonder if all this is a clever ruse, to make us believe he's a bumbling GWB Mark II. After all, the common person is intimidated by intelligence and rational thinking.

Mr Romney may look like an idiot and act like an idiot, but don't let that fool you, he realy is an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

You can't open the windows: the plane would crash becuase the fuselage would get too heavy with the drool of all of the dogs who'd stick their heads out and happily wag their tails...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you left the windows open the jihadis would get in. :eek:

Oh noes

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

The same reason they dont come as convertibles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

jsn.peters wrote: »
    The same reason they dont come as convertibles
    Next week on Dragon's Den......

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

Still a genius compared to George Bush Jr :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

He's a dick and I don't agree with him, but he is far from stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Is it very wrong of me to be very excited about the prospect that this man could become US President?

The 6 O'Clock news is gonna be a howl for the next 4 years if he wins!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

According to the OP's link it was a joke. So non story. If fox news jumped on a line that obama said as a joke as if that's what he really believed, we'd be taking the piss out of fox news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Apart from that, and the probabilty that everyone on board would be sucked out, except for Wesley Snipes, what's the harm in installing windows that open? How many times have you sat upstairs in a stuffy bus, wishing you could open a window?

33000ft? The air would be really fresh. Apart from the furniture and bodies flying out the window, it's win-win.

Explosive decompression to the extent that they show in the moves is a myth, it dosent really happen like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Aphex Tim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

freyners wrote: »
    so there is a fire, and he want to introduce even more oxygen,

that'll end well
    You should also be able to open the windows on submarines, it gets very stuffy down there, would be good to let some fresh air in!

Interesting that you should choose the submarine example as a response, as it's the most significant example to actually back up Romney's thought. Fire is far and away the most dangerous enemy to a submarine, because it is a confined, pressurised, metal tube (kindof like an airplane) in which people are breathing oxygen, the same oxygen which the fire is consuming. If there's a fire on a submarine, the chances are that the people in it will die of asphyxiation long before they get burned if the fire isn't brought under control, it's why they have such massive fire-fighting capabilities. Water can be pumped out again, oxygen is a bit tougher as you can't just open a window. With an airplane, if the worst comes to the worst, you can just open a window, such as the ones in the cockpit.

There's a grain of truth behind his joke.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Cienciano wrote: »
    According to the OP's link it was a joke. So non story. If fox news jumped on a line that obama said as a joke as if that's what he really believed, we'd be taking the piss out of fox news

It doesn't read like an intended joke though
    I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don't think she knows just how worried some of us were," Mr Romney said, according to the LA Times. "When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly, there's no – and you can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem. So it's very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she's safe and sound."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Don't oxygen masks drop down in this situation anyway, or is that only in loss of cabin pressure?

twinytwo wrote: »
    Explosive decompression to the extent that they show in the moves is a myth, it dosent really happen like that.

Huh? But Gert Frobe was sucked out through a tiny window at the end of Goldfinger.

Jeez, next you'll be saying they can't outrun explosions or dodge bullets. But we've all seen those things happen on film.

Just ignorant, I guess. Many ordinary people wouldn't have a clue either.

I'm sure the Brain trust, that is the Romney election team, could come up with a viable solution to [mid-air] fire emergencies, like flooding the cabin with carbon dioxide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just a massive flip-flopper, a HUGE liar and very unsure and uneducated about a number of very serious matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there is a reason sportingbet are offering obama at 1/6 on to win the election

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you open a window at 36,000 feet you get instant cloud all through the cabin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Any chance we could all club together and install a plane window that does open, and get Mitt to test it at 20,000 ft, with George Bush, Dick Cheyney and Donald Rumsfeld as on the spot observers? They do say seeing is believing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Interesting that you should choose the submarine example as a response, as it's the most significant example to actually back up Romney's thought. Fire is far and away the most dangerous enemy to a submarine, because it is a confined, pressurised, metal tube (kindof like an airplane) in which people are breathing oxygen
    AFAIK if a sub at depth limits suffers catastrophic hull failure it's possible for the inrushing water to behave like the piston in the sense that all the air is compressed in a very short time. So it gets hot. Very very hot, like being in a fire piston. Not a pleasant way to go :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement