Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitt Romney: Why don't aircraft windows open?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

AFAIK if a sub at depth limits suffers catastrophic hull failure it's possible for the inrushing water to behave like the piston in the sense that all the air is compressed in a very short time. So it gets hot. Very very hot, like being in a fire piston. Not a pleasant way to go :(
    No, drowning at great depth would be much better. Feckin fire??, no way jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Biggins wrote: »
    Just a massive flip-flopper, a HUGE liar and very unsure and uneducated about a number of very serious matters.

Biggins, you just described 99.99% of all politicians in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I hate to adMitt when i'm Romney ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Biggins, you just described 99.99% of all politicians in the world.

Yea - but they do it over a much longer period of time.
    Romney for example has told 616 documented lies in 33 weeks!
    He even puts any past or present TD's to shame!

Denny M wrote: »
    Those windows aren't real windows, they are just mini tv screens to make everything look normal. Really, the plane is strapped to a flock of seagulls, like in James and the Giant Peach.

You were almost right. Truth is that the world is really really really small. What actually happens is that when the plane takes off, it flies around and around in subtle circles (so you don't notice) for hours and hours, with the TV screens on the windows showing you video to give the impression that you're going for miles, when in fact you've landed half an hour down the road.

That's why you can't open windows on planes. Mitt Romney knows too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I had an aircraft door open once while turning, luckily I was wearing my seatbelt.
    Just reached over and slammed it shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I had an aircraft door open once while turning, luckily I was wearing my seatbelt.
    Just reached over and slammed it shut.
    Cookie, you were 9, it was your dads car, stop exagerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Is it very wrong of me to be very excited about the prospect that this man could become US President?

The 6 O'Clock news is gonna be a howl for the next 4 years if he wins!!

Not wrong at all. I'm hoping he'll win as well for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pottler wrote: »
    Cookie, you were 9, it was your dads car, stop exagerating.

no, it was my first time flying a cessna in Weston :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I hope he wins. I think he's an absolute muppet but for some reason I kind of want to see everyone lose their **** if it happens.

Even his name sounds retarded. Like Tipper or Chet. Ah America, you never fail to amuse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

because everyone inside the plane would die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Biggins wrote: »
    Just a massive flip-flopper, a HUGE liar and very unsure and uneducated about a number of very serious matters.
    So basically he's stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Ah come on now Mick. That's as stupid as opening a window in a submarine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

So basically he's stupid.

In just to have a go at him, it would be too easy to say "Yes" but he has not got as far as he has by being stupid.
    If he was completely stupid, there would be some mental justification/reason for his u-turns, flip-flopping, insulting nations (and his own people) and lies on a massive scale....But he's clever enough when he wants to be, to climb the political ladder - so if he's got even half a working brain then how can he explain himself and his behaviour/jumping political positions to his critics?

Personally I think he's a typical example of a politician telling each selective audience per day what it wants to hear at any one location and playing to them.
    The fact that its lies, don't match up with what he's said previously and insults the people the day before who he was then cheering for, exposes him as a very, very evil person indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't like Mitt Romney.
    I don't like politics.

But more than that; I *hate* people who take quotes out of context then go around the internet posting crap about it.

Mitt Romney has a Juris Doctor AND an MBA from Harvard, plus an undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University. You can call him a lot of things; but he *isn't* stupid.

The quote is taken out of context.

Beyond that; a good number of people posting here to call him stupid are flat-out wrong in their assessment of what would happen if an airplane had an open window.

If you want to take objection to the guy; go for it. But please, try to do it like a grown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

UCDVet wrote: »
    Mitt Romney has a Juris Doctor AND an MBA from Harvard, plus an undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University. You can call him a lot of things; but he *isn't* stupid.

Money talks. Just proves he can stay the course.

Beyond that; a good number of people posting here to call him stupid are flat-out wrong in their assessment of what would happen if an airplane had an open window.

Care to point some out. Apart from tongue-in-cheek comments, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

George W. Bush has a degree in history from Yale and an MBA from Harvard Business School.

He also had a rich daddy...coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Planes should have smoking areas on the wings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Money talks. Just proves he can stay the course.

Care to point some out. Apart from tongue-in-cheek comments, of course.

Why should tongue-in-cheek comments be off limits?
    The Los Angeles Times story that relayed Romney's airplane remark to the world was based off a pool report written by the New York Times's Ashley Parker. When we asked Parker this morning whether it seemed as if Romney made the mark in jest, she left no doubt. "Romney was joking

People are looking for any excuse to dismiss politicians they don't like. This is the very definition of a building a strawman. 'Who cares what he says about X - he's soooo stupid he thinks airplanes should have windows that open!'

But to answer your question; airplanes won't explode if they have a moderately sized hole them. There wouldn't be explosive decompression. People wouldn't get sucked out of the plane. They wouldn't all die. Commercial airplanes all already have several emergency exits that can be opened in an emergency (like a fire).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Snakes on a plane would get out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

"When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly, there's no – and you can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem. So it's very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she's safe and sound."

Does he often joke about his wife's dangerous predicaments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

But to answer your question; airplanes won't explode if they have a moderately sized hole them. There wouldn't be explosive decompression. People wouldn't get sucked out of the plane. They wouldn't all die. Commercial airplanes all already have several emergency exits that can be opened in an emergency (like a fire).

Unfortunately, the accident that befell Aloha Airlines flt 243 shows that explosive decompression is a possibility, and fatalities are a possibility. Emergency exits will only be opened with the a/c on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

On the face of it, it does look like some advanced form of gobsh1tery is at work, but I think it was simply a joke that didn't quite go as expected.

Maybe it was a tough crowd.

Advertisement