Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fargo [FX/Channel 4] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I love how everyone in this is a complete oddball, especially the children

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

After three episodes, I'd say this is solidly enjoyable television so far, but it quivers in the shadow of its cinematic inspiration.

I actually rewatched Fargo (the film) last night to see how it compared to Fargo (the TV show). As I had suspected. It is weirder and it is much funnier. The characters in the show are pale imitations of the ones in the film, and for the most part the acting is too - Freeman is a decent actor, but he has absolutely nothing on Macy's inspired awkwardness in the film. The cross-cutting between different stories is far more interesting in the big screen version (always amazed at how long it takes for McDormand to be introduced). Overall, there's an artistry and control to the film that the show has not yet come close to matching - the Coens might executive produce this, but their unique scripting and directing skills are missed.

On its own terms, the new Fargo is a very watchable black comedy, and in terms of cinematography and atmosphere actually a notch above most television on at the moment. And while no-one in it can come close to matching McDormand, Buscemi or Macy, the acting is pretty good. At the same time, even at its best, it's a facsimile of something better, which alas dilutes its impact somewhat. Even though it - rightly - deviates significantly in terms of story, it still tries to emulate the tone and mood of the film in a way that highlights its limitations in comparison. Encouraged by the posts above that episode four is the best so far, though.

One thing I do really appreciate, though, is the amount of Coen Brothers related Easter Eggs nestled in the background of scenes. Have spotted True Grit and Lebowski ones, and I'm sure there's more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

One thing I do really appreciate, though, is the amount of Coen Brothers related Easter Eggs nestled in the background of scenes. Have spotted True Grit and Lebowski ones, and I'm sure there's more!

There's an explicit Raising Arizona reference in the mail room when Billy Bob picks up his package. (Episode two I think it was)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's an explicit Raising Arizona reference in the mail room when Billy Bob picks up his package. (Episode two I think it was)

A box with 'LaBouef's Stuff' and a special offer on White Russians on a diner menu are the two I've spotted so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i've very much enjoyed it

have a feeling it's going to get a bit silly now unfortunately

hope I'm wrong

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This is excellent, cant wait for tonights episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not the best episode, compared to last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Not the best episode, compared to last week.

you're talking about episode 3 or 4?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

el diablo wrote: »
    you're talking about episode 3 or 4?

Ah ok, I've lost track. I meant 4 or 5. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just keeps getting better and better. Best show on tv atm imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Raf32 wrote: »
    Just keeps getting better and better. Best show on tv atm imo.

After Veep ;)

S01e01

Those first 5 mins with the buying of the socks
    and then the gun too
    :pac:

The shop owner had the best dead pan expression seen on TV or film in a long time. Proper laugh out loud stuff.

Another great episode but Ive one small niggle; it needs a "previously on Fargo" recap at the start. Watching it from week to week can be a bit confusing at who's who and doing what.

That aside, this is great TV and Ive figured out which previous role Billy Bob is channelling from his past with his character.

There seems to be a lot of this fella in Malvo

bad-santa.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Freeman's bumbling is starting to grate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Just watched the pilot.

So I won't read more on this thread until I have seen the rest.

Absolutely amazing TV ... , I was hooked 10 mins in ...

Billy Bob Thornton is fantastic , as is Freeman ...

Can't wait to get stuck in ..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Maybe I could give it to you. Call ya up late at night. And you could listen to me sh*t on people"

Billy Bob's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Will it be possible to view this on 4OD tonight at the same time as it goes out live on Channel 4 does anyone know ?

newportlad wrote: »
    Will it be possible to view this on 4OD tonight at the same time as it goes out live on Channel 4 does anyone know ?

No, you'll have to wait for a bit (not sure how long it takes).

This is a very entertaining show excepting a bit of inconsistency within episodes in term of quality. I wonder will they make a second series or leave it at this one. I think that some of the best tv in the last few years has been in one-season story type shows e.g. true detective, broadchurch and top of the lake. With shows like this with actors like BBT, they are probably only going to commit to one season to get some profile through good acting to get them back into big movie roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

glasso wrote: »
    This is a very entertaining show excepting a bit of inconsistency within episodes in term of quality. I wonder will they make a second series or leave it at this one. I think that some of the best tv in the last few years has been in one-season story type shows e.g. true detective, broadchurch and top of the lake. With shows like this with actors like BBT, they are probably only going to commit to one season to get some profile through good acting to get them back into big movie roles.

According to an article in the Sunday Times a few months back, it'll be along the lines of True Detective. Freeman and BBT for this season - then new story arcs for any following seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ive figured out which previous role Billy Bob is channelling from his past with his character.

There seems to be a lot of this fella in Malvo

bad-santa.jpeg

I agree, I often thought of his character Bad Santa when watching this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Basq wrote: »
    "Maybe I could give it to you. Call ya up late at night. And you could listen to me sh*t on people"

Billy Bob's amazing!

On the 5th episode here now. Excellent show.
    Horndog is brilliant, but I must say it again, his hair is ridiculous.

Anyone having problems watching Fargo on 4OD? I'm getting bombarded with ads and then I get redirected to some crappy site where it asks me to download some crappy media player.
    Then my anti-virus tells me to stay away from the page.

Only been having this problem trying to watch Sunday's episode... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Well that was an action packed episode. The shoot-out in the snow was intense.
    Molly better not be dead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

great episode, lots of twists and turns

Malvo gives a masterclass in turning the hunter into the hunted. Jason Bourne couldn't have done it better.

Why did Lester Nygaard's
    brother's kid ignore him in the house
    ?

And where did Mr. Numbers (Adam Goldberg)'s partner go
    during the shootout
    ? Seemed a bit strange.

Loved Malvo's plan but this was definitely where he went from being a bad guy you sorta root for to just being a bad guy.

Also, the fish falling from the sky? A bit strange given that Malvo set up the previous incidents on Stavros Milos (Oliver Platt), but hey this is Fargo land so we'll allow for some weirdness.

Another good episode!

Weird stuff falling from sky - :http://paranormal.about.com/od/earthmysteries/a/Weird-Weird-Rain.htm

Alternatively, its probably God getting pissed off with Malvo's behaviour.

Weird stuff falling from sky - :http://paranormal.about.com/od/earthmysteries/a/Weird-Weird-Rain.htm

Alternatively, its probably God getting pissed off with Malvo's behaviour.

It reminded me of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    And where did Mr. Numbers (Adam Goldberg)'s partner go
    during the shootout
    ? Seemed a bit strange.
    I presume the
    gunshot(s) we saw when Gus was wandering through the "mist" was Molly shooting him, before wandering back towards Gus and getting shot herself

This show is getting better and better!

Advertisement