Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Lessons

Options
  • 25-09-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Anyone know of a good place for adult piano lessons in Kilkenny? I've always wanted to learn and feel like now is the time. I'd rather not go to a certain establishment on Ormonde Road as its a bit on the pricey side. Not really looking for keyboard lessons either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I contacted said establishment one time with regard to lessons and was met with a very cool reception.

Anyway, I would advise you to make sure you're happy with your teacher. Nothing like a half hour rote learning scales with a crusty ould battleaxe to suck the life and enjoyment out of playing music - making sure you never want to do it again.

There was someone advertising adult piano lessons in Kilkenny on boards not so long ago - though I had a quick look and can't see the post... maybe it was deleted as being shameless self promotion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Anyway, I would advise you to make sure you're happy with your teacher. Nothing like a half hour rote learning scales with a crusty ould battleaxe to suck the life and enjoyment out of playing music - making sure you never want to do it again.
    It sounds like we had the same piano teacher.
    fabbydabby wrote: »
    There was someone advertising adult piano lessons in Kilkenny on boards not so long ago - though I had a quick look and can't see the post... maybe it was deleted as being shameless self promotion
    I deleted it, never to be found again but I think it was for the Ormonde road anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I didn't think it was. Anyway.....
    It sounds like we had the same piano teacher.

No but I know exactly the type. I actually was taught beginners lessons by a girl in college and did the rest myself on youtube. This guy's lessons are really good - exactly what you need to learn:

http://www.youtube.com/user/billhiltonbiz?feature=results_main

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

Thanks fabbydabby. I'll have a go at those. I'm slightly afraid that if I try teach myself I'll lose interest after a few weeks but maybe I'll surprise myself!

You would probably need a teacher to help you with the basics - mechanics of playing the piano in terms of posture, fingering etc, and a bit of theory and sight reading but once you're past that stage and all you want to do is mess around on the piano for your own entertainment those Bill Hilton lessons are absolutely excellent... they really are.

Of course if you wanted to be trained in classical music and progress through the grades then you would have to stick at the real life lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

PM sent, OP.

Advertisement